Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Trailering my Spyder RT?

I Usually travel from Maine to Florida in the mid Fall (mid October) spend the majority of the winter there And then reverse the trip in the early Spring (late April). I bought a 6 by 12 foot trailer with a ramp rear door for my previous ride( 03 Honda VTS 1300) When I bought my 2012 Spyder RT I found out that I have to remove the front fenders to load & unload it because of the width of the rear door. I was wondering if there was some way to haul it using an enclosed snowmobile trailer. I know, the popular response to trailering it is "Ride It Down & Back" but with the weather and amount of "stuff" I bring back & forth that's not practicle. So how about it? Snowmobile trailer a possibility? TIA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    I Usually travel from Maine to Florida in the mid Fall (mid October) spend the majority of the winter there And then reverse the trip in the early Spring (late April). I bought a 6 by 12 foot trailer with a ramp rear door for my previous ride( 03 Honda VTS 1300) When I bought my 2012 Spyder RT I found out that I have to remove the front fenders to load & unload it because of the width of the rear door. I was wondering if there was some way to haul it using an enclosed snowmobile trailer. I know, the popular response to trailering it is "Ride It Down & Back" but with the weather and amount of "stuff" I bring back & forth that's not practicle. So how about it? Snowmobile trailer a possibility? TIA

Anything you can get that sucker into will work just fine as long as the wheels don't fall off. If it were me I would sell the present trailer and get something more suitable. You can trade the trailer you have plus cash for whatever you would like. I would think that you would think of this.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Anything you can get that sucker into will work just fine as long as the wheels don't fall off. If it were me I would sell the present trailer and get something more suitable. You can trade the trailer you have plus cash for whatever you would like. I would think that you would think of this.

​Jack

One snow bird picking on another snowbird???

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILERING

I put my 2014 RT on my flatbed truck that has a box on it .... the width of the rear opening is 66 inches ....it's tight but it fits ...... What does the inside of your 6 ft. wide trailer measure ??????.......... Mike ....... PS , as far as tying it down, I put one heavy duty Nylon strap over the rear tire and Ratchet it down tight
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-08-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

The nylon strapping that (Mike Blueknight911) uses does not touch your Tupperware on your spyder. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have a 2 place, 7' X 14' enclosed tandem axle motorcycle trailer that I can drive my RT right into.
    Haven't figured out how to get the RT 622 in there with it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    The nylon strapping that (Mike Blueknight911) uses does not touch your Tupperware on your spyder. Deanna

It worked well on our 2600 mile round trip. Only needed to retighten the strap ratchet 2x each way and the Spyder never moved an inch.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    It worked well on our 2600 mile round trip. Only needed to retighten the strap ratchet 2x each way and the Spyder never moved an inch.
    He trailed my 2012 RTS-SE5 and used the strap to secure my spyder. Also the spyder did not move. The strap went under the spyder , in the "middle" of the rear tire and "under" to the front of the snowmobile trailer.

The strap was hitched to the front of the snowmobile trailer.

My spyder did not move either. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 12-26-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER

I use a 7 x 12 enclosed, have for 6years, mine is a 2010 PE RTSE5 and fits nicely. I can even strap it down via the factory D rings on the floor. I built a 3 shelf unit in the nose for "things" necessary or not. it works out pretty well, i carry an air compressor, jack, spare parts for the bike & motor home & etc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call me strange... I'd rather just ride the bike down first, fly back, and then bring the rest of the stuff!
    You just need a little bit larger trailer.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I put my 2014 RT on my flatbed truck that has a box on it .... the width of the rear opening is 66 inches ....it's tight but it fits ...... What does the inside of your 6 ft. wide trailer measure ??????.......... Mike ....... PS , as far as tying it down, I put one heavy duty Nylon strap over the rear tire and Ratchet it down tight
    Only one tie down? Don't you worry about the proverbial bounce of the front end? Just sayin....

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    Only one tie down? Don't you worry about the proverbial bounce of the front end? Just sayin....
    I made a left turn over one of those RAISED center dividers ( in the dark ) and of course I checked it out in the parking lot nearby ....... everything checked out OK ..... I do have a 1 1/2 in. guide on the inside of both front wheels because my BOX only has 2 in. clearance on either side of the front fenders ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    How do you climb up onto the bike, for unloading it?
    (We're gonna have to see pictures! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    One snow bird picking on another snowbird???

Anonymous
    I did not intentionally mean to pick on anyone and I am not one of those pesky "Snowbirds". I am a el permenente' el residente' of the "Old Pueblo" here in the Tucson AZ area. Yes I am a "legal" resident and do not need a green card. Why would I? Senior' Juan does not want to work anymore!

​Juan
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Have Tom Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You can call me strange... I'd rather just ride the bike down first, fly back, and then bring the rest of the stuff!
    You just need a little bit larger trailer.
    Bob's right, that motorcycle was made for long distance touring, let her rip! You would probably find that you don't deal need all that stuff by the time you get down there! You could also just sell the trailer and ship your stuff and pocket a lot of cash, and the memories of the ryde will be priceless!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default MOUNTING MY SPYDER

Mike,
    How do you climb up onto the bike, for unloading it?
    (We're gonna have to see pictures! )
    If you are asking about when it's in/on the truck ????.... I made the box 6'4" ( height ) inside, so I just climb on and back it down ..... the guides screwed onto the floor ramps prevent the wheels from any sideways movement - think ...... Car Wash ....... sorry no video available .............. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-16-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That has got to be a VERY tight fit...

Spyder Garage

Default CLEARANCE

That has got to be a VERY tight fit...
    OOP'S.... the 6'4" is the height ...... the width is 2 inches for each fender, that's why I put in the guides .... Mike

Spyder Garage

As long as the trailer is wider then the Spyder and longer then the Spyder,it sounds like a good why to get it, your stuff, and you back and forth. Don't listen to those who try to tell what to do with your life you do what you need to do. If I have some place I want to go and for some reason I can't ride it there but want access to it when I get there,I have no qualms about trailering.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OOP'S.... the 6'4" is the height ...... the width is 2 inches for each fender, that's why I put in the guides .... Mike
    Oh! I was referring to the tight fit you must experience; when climbing in there to get on the RT...

If you hadn't been in Law Enforcement: you'd have made a great burglar!

Spyder Garage

Default TIGHT FIT

Oh! I was referring to the tight fit you must experience; when climbing in there to get on the RT...

If you hadn't been in Law Enforcement: you'd have made a great burglar!
    Well do to age I'm shrinking ... 5"11" now .... I don't really think about hitting my head when I get on / off in the Box ......................annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd actually being an LEO taught me how to be a GREAT burglar , I've gotten into more cars and homes ( to help people ) than you might think possible ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you were doing it to help yourself : you would still have been in Law Enforcement.... but from the other side of the bars!

Spyder Garage

Default one trailer I have used now for sale

Spyder Garage

Default my new Razor trailer

IMG_5215.jpgIMG_5216.jpg easy to load on a hill or flat ground. Pulls really nice. http://razortrailers.com/
    Last edited by Alabamacrussr; 12-16-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I did not intentionally mean to pick on anyone and I am not one of those pesky "Snowbirds". I am a el permenente' el residente' of the "Old Pueblo" here in the Tucson AZ area. Yes I am a "legal" resident and do not need a green card. Why would I? Senior' Juan does not want to work anymore!

​Juan

LOL

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer