Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Royal Purple

We use RP in both the Spyder and my ST1100, 10/40W. I changed em both before our trip and again when we returned. Had to add about a half a qt in the 8000+ miles between changes. I have yet to smell anything different, and neither has she. We have never had any overheating problems with the Spyder, and we drove thru some very high temps at slow speeds.

The only negetive thing I can think of is you cannot really tell how dirty the oil is by looking at it because of its naturally dark color.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Well, we all do what we think is right. I'm not buying it. And we'll leave it at that. That said, and getting back on topic, I'm going with (most likely) Amsoil. Mobil-1 is a product I know and trust but that is in relation to cars. The bike guys out here are saying too many good things about the Amsoil. So I'm going to commit... ummm... I think...
    Go with Mobil 1... The Exxon Valdez oil spill guys!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Carefull Ron...you may cause some to do some thinking....it is after all......oh so much more fun and easy to go with the "knee jerk De Jour"
    To stay on topic, Used RP 20-50 auto grade in my Ural in both the engine and the tranny(she has a dry clutch). Seems like it breaks down quicker in the tranny than regular ol Castrol 20-50 dino or Mobil 1. Think I will give the Castrol 5-40 a try in the Spyder at next change if I can find some. If not Mobil 1 is going in her. The oil the dealer puts in foams like crazy.

RAL

Spyder Garage

You know what dude? you jogged my memory about that! I didn't buy anything from them either after that (and I don't want this to get political, Lamont doesn't want that stuff on here so we can always go offline for that discussion) but when I got the Vette I HAD to put Mobil-1 in or void the Warranty. Turned out it was good stuff! So I was going to consider the 4T for the Spyders, but you had to go and jog my memory now didn't you? Nah, I was going with the Amsoil anyway. Especially now that maybe in some stupid way it can support Ken...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

You know what dude? you jogged my memory about that! I didn't buy anything from them either after that (and I don't want this to get political, Lamont doesn't want that stuff on here so we can always go offline for that discussion) but when I got the Vette I HAD to put Mobil-1 in or void the Warranty. Turned out it was good stuff! So I was going to consider the 4T for the Spyders, but you had to go and jog my memory now didn't you? Nah, I was going with the Amsoil anyway. Especially now that maybe in some stupid way it can support Ken...
    If it makes you feel better, I don't believe that Exxon and Mobil had merged yet back in the Alaska spill timeframe.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Ok, enough said. I won't research AmsOil to see what their environmental impact is. AmsOil is what I use as well.

And RAL is right, I am not immune to getting banned. Lamont is an equal opportunity Web Master. And he's a bit grumpy these days with that finger issue.

Bad deal that....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ok, enough said. I won't research AmsOil to see what their environmental impact is. AmsOil is what I use as well.

And RAL is right, I am not immune to getting banned. Lamont is an equal opportunity Web Master. And he's a bit grumpy these days with that finger issue.

Bad deal that....
    I must agree! There is nothing wrong with a touch of spirited debate every now and then! Besides, I enjoy reading your posts and interacting with you. We don't have to agree on everything. That would be scary anyway if we did...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    This is my review of Royal Purple Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40.

What I did was not a mechanical fix. I had the transmission and parking brake "fixes" done. The transmission worked better, the parking brake, worse. I corrected the parking brake stiffness in setting by spraying some oil on the key/spring part that locks on the notches on the plate just forward of the parking brake pedal. That's another "who da thunk" that works wonders. I had to re-educate myself in setting the parking brake. Someone on this blog asked if anyone had ever heard of Royal Purple Oil. I had not, but I decided to explore. I went to their site and did some reading and was impressed (I highly recommend you do this and read for yourself). I called their free number, was transferred to a technician and spent probably 15 or more minutes asking him questions. I am not a mechanic by a long shot, but his answers were channeled to my level. I located a place near here that could order the Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40. This should not be a contested oil with BRP since they are now going to Synthetic Blend 10W40. It is not SM rated. It's hard to explain how much of a difference it has made. The best proof of the results came from one of our friends who owns an SE5. She is a rather aggressive, but good driver. We were riding with her and another one of our female Spyder (SM5) rider friends this weekend. We pulled off at a restaurant out of town and I had her ride our Spyder. She rode about one mile out and returned. When she parked you could see her smile through her full coverage helmet. She said, "This is beautiful! All you did was change oil? I want some!" After 1000 miles since the oil change on Mar 25, this is what I have noticed on our Spyder: the shifting is flawless, more responsive, smooth (gone are the burps...the only word I can think of...that occurred when down shifting automatically, just a slight notice, as the old automobile automatics used to do...I noticed this difference on the first 100 miles...the shift from 2nd to 1st was so smooth I had to look at the gear indicator, I thought I was still in 2nd!). When downshifting manually when you need a lower gear, like ride now, it gives it to you "right now", smoothly. I have not experienced any crawl in stop and go traffic (that's when the Spyder wants to craw when you are stop and go, and you are stopped, the rpms stay a bit high and if you take your foot off the brake it crawls forward). The engine is quieter. I have not had any purple (the oil is purple) oil drip on the right side scoop from the air filter box. Going up some of the long 6% grades on Interstate 8 east of San Diego I used to have to drop to 4th gear to maintain 65 mph (it just had a hard time maintaining speed without dropping rpms which dropped the speed...the engine sounded like it was struggling in 5th). Now I just twist the throttle more and the engine responds (again, I am not a mechanic, I can't explain any better).
    That's a pretty long explanation, but that's how excited I am about the oil. And, no, I don't make money by sharing this. But if I can help make another Spyder rider happier, then that's what it's all about. If you would like to talk more about it to me, message me.
    I'm with you, sticking with the RP. Like you said, the downshift from 2nd to 1st is so smooth, you really don't know it happened unless you look down to see the number 1. Also noticed more torque and horsepower gains and can't believe how much cooler it runs. Even on a hot day in traffic, I rarely see 5 bars and if I do, It isn't long before it's back down to 4 or less. I'm sold on this oil and the improvements I've seen by using it.