Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Royal Purple Oil- 1000 Mile Review

This is my review of Royal Purple Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40.

What I did was not a mechanical fix. I had the transmission and parking brake "fixes" done. The transmission worked better, the parking brake, worse. I corrected the parking brake stiffness in setting by spraying some oil on the key/spring part that locks on the notches on the plate just forward of the parking brake pedal. That's another "who da thunk" that works wonders. I had to re-educate myself in setting the parking brake. Someone on this blog asked if anyone had ever heard of Royal Purple Oil. I had not, but I decided to explore. I went to their site and did some reading and was impressed (I highly recommend you do this and read for yourself). I called their free number, was transferred to a technician and spent probably 15 or more minutes asking him questions. I am not a mechanic by a long shot, but his answers were channeled to my level. I located a place near here that could order the Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40. This should not be a contested oil with BRP since they are now going to Synthetic Blend 10W40. It is not SM rated. It's hard to explain how much of a difference it has made. The best proof of the results came from one of our friends who owns an SE5. She is a rather aggressive, but good driver. We were riding with her and another one of our female Spyder (SM5) rider friends this weekend. We pulled off at a restaurant out of town and I had her ride our Spyder. She rode about one mile out and returned. When she parked you could see her smile through her full coverage helmet. She said, "This is beautiful! All you did was change oil? I want some!" After 1000 miles since the oil change on Mar 25, this is what I have noticed on our Spyder: the shifting is flawless, more responsive, smooth (gone are the burps...the only word I can think of...that occurred when down shifting automatically, just a slight notice, as the old automobile automatics used to do...I noticed this difference on the first 100 miles...the shift from 2nd to 1st was so smooth I had to look at the gear indicator, I thought I was still in 2nd!). When downshifting manually when you need a lower gear, like ride now, it gives it to you "right now", smoothly. I have not experienced any crawl in stop and go traffic (that's when the Spyder wants to craw when you are stop and go, and you are stopped, the rpms stay a bit high and if you take your foot off the brake it crawls forward). The engine is quieter. I have not had any purple (the oil is purple) oil drip on the right side scoop from the air filter box. Going up some of the long 6% grades on Interstate 8 east of San Diego I used to have to drop to 4th gear to maintain 65 mph (it just had a hard time maintaining speed without dropping rpms which dropped the speed...the engine sounded like it was struggling in 5th). Now I just twist the throttle more and the engine responds (again, I am not a mechanic, I can't explain any better).
    That's a pretty long explanation, but that's how excited I am about the oil. And, no, I don't make money by sharing this. But if I can help make another Spyder rider happier, then that's what it's all about. If you would like to talk more about it to me, message me.
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Question

If your happy that is great. How many miles will you drive before you change the oil and have you noticed that it helps to keep things cooler?

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    If your happy that is great. How many miles will you drive before you change the oil and have you noticed that it helps to keep things cooler?
    It seems to run cooler, but I am really waiting to ride in the triple digits we have here in the desert in July and August. I have noticed that at 89F ambient I was running 3 bars on the interstate. I really want to observe how it does in assisting the fan to maintain 4 bars in city traffic, triple digits. I will start changing the oil over 3000 miles.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Nice write up. Thanks for the info.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I've been thinking about switching to RP also. I have an SM5 with 6,000 miles on it. I have run only the BRP 5W40 Syn. oil.

I recently had the 6,000 mile checkup done along with the gear sensor to fix the steering- which they list as a shifting update. I find that the Spyder is NOT shifting as smooth as before. I'm unsure which oil they used - but now am thinking the new BRP Blend might be making the difference I'm feeling.

Actually my invoice says they charged me for 5W40 BRP Oil part number 293600039. $65 for 4 quarts.

What is the part number for the NEW BRP Blend oil?
    Do we know for sure the blend is a 10W40 ?
    Has the BRP full Syn oil been discontinued?

If RP made a 5W40 I would change tomorrow!

I sure wish BRP would make up their minds!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Interesting. I've been thinking about switching to RP also. I have an SM5 with 6,000 miles on it. I have run only the BRP 5W40 Syn. oil.

I recently had the 6,000 mile checkup done along with the gear sensor to fix the steering- which they list as a shifting update. I find that the Spyder is NOT shifting as smooth as before. I'm unsure which oil they used - but now am thinking the new BRP Blend might be making the difference I'm feeling.

Actually my invoice says they charged me for 5W40 BRP Oil part number 293600039. $65 for 4 quarts.

From what I have been told by riders with more mechanic experience than I have, the difference between 5W and 10W is neglegible. The biggest concern is where you live and ride. Colder temperatures should require you use a thinner oil. But all the charts I have seen, there is quite a bit of overlap in oils/temperatures. I would not use a thick oil in Canadian cold country, but have ridden in the south with 20W50 year round for years. So, my review is just a sharing information post. I can't tell you or anyone that you will get the same result. Again, I suggest you call RP and talk to a technician. Present him with any concerns you may have.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

My understanding of the 5W vs. 10W is that 5W has more ability to 'stick' to the engine parts - so that when you first start up there is more oil left on the engine parts.

Guess I'll have to do some research, but I'm really thinking of switching to the RP - even before hitting my next oil change!

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

I ahve not seen Lamont have any comment yet. Did you say anything to the dealer. Will this void any warranties.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    I ahve not seen Lamont have any comment yet. Did you say anything to the dealer. Will this void any warranties.
    I emailed BRP about 2 months ago, asking if a different oil would help the SE5 to shift better. IMHO, his answer was as it should be, from them. He recommended staying with the BRP oil. The warranty issue was one of my concerns also. I just had to "let go" and make my decision. I can't see where there should be any issues; it's a motorcycle synthetic oil. The 5W vs. 10W? If they want to be that picky, I will never win if an issue arises. And, the oil should not have anything to do with any warranty item on the Spyder other than the engine. In the end, it's a decision that can only be made by each Spyder ryder. I told the service writer at my dealer. His main concern is that I keep the receipts for the oil changes. If something happens, I'll cross the bridge.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

I don't think its legal for any manufacturer to specify that you must use their brand of oil or you void the warrenty. However, they can specify that the oil must meet certain industry rating and without any frection modifiers in them.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I don't think its legal for any manufacturer to specify that you must use their brand of oil or you void the warrenty. However, they can specify that the oil must meet certain industry rating and without any frection modifiers in them.
    I agree, API is the standard for rating motor oils.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-08-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Yep, as long as it's the proper API rating they can't do a thing. The only way they can require a specific brand of oil is if they provide it, and the oil change for free.

Spyder Garage

Correct - they cannot make you use their oil - and as far as warranty - they must show that whatever you did or modified caused the damage in question. This didn't concern me much until I found out a gear shifting sensor could affect the steering - .

Unless there is some obvious damage to the engine or tranny from some kind of oil problem - you should be okay.

I still have 5w40 BRP syn oil ready to use if need be.

If the NEW BRP blend really is a 10W40 - then we have nothing to worry about in my opinion. Any 10W40 that meets the API standard should not void the warranty - just watch out for those modifiers.

I'll be ordering a case of RP tomorrow.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been using Amsoil synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil and they claim I can wait twice as long before changes. I haven't had any clutch slippage and the engine seems to run quieter. It's advertised API service SG, SL/CF, JASO MA and wet clutch compatible. I bought this oil from my spyder dealer and I love it.

Spyder Garage

Default A study of motorcycle oils

http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx heres a link to a pretty thorough comparison of a lot of name brand motorcycle oils.Good read but rather long.Shows test results from a 4ball wear,viscosity shear etc.I have never used Amsoil but it sure tests out superior to anything else out there if these are true tests and not marketing ploys.

Spyder Garage

Default MY DEALER USED 12X1 BLEND

What the heck is that? Hope it's not sea-doo oil because the service guy asked me what I used. I told him I don't know and that it's new. The part number is 293600121. I think the Spyder engine is running too hot. Four bars seem excessive in 59 degree weather, I noticed that both times when she went into limp mode the temp had four bars. That worries me too. ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    What the heck is that? Hope it's not sea-doo oil because the service guy asked me what I used. I told him I don't know and that it's new. The part number is 293600121. I think the Spyder engine is running too hot. Four bars seem excessive in 59 degree weather, I noticed that both times when she went into limp mode the temp had four bars. That worries me too. ken
    Type that number in Google Search.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Don't worry about four bars... that's where the fan just begins to come on. It may drift to five or six... and then will come back down due to the fan.

Seven might worry me. Not four.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I've used Amsoil for quite a while now and on a lot of bikes. I think that ANY full-synthetic is heads and shoulders above the typical dino stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx heres a link to a pretty thorough comparison of a lot of name brand motorcycle oils.Good read but rather long.Shows test results from a 4ball wear,viscosity shear etc.I have never used Amsoil but it sure tests out superior to anything else out there if these are true tests and not marketing ploys.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    This is my review of Royal Purple Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40.

What I did was not a mechanical fix. I had the transmission and parking brake "fixes" done. The transmission worked better, the parking brake, worse. I corrected the parking brake stiffness in setting by spraying some oil on the key/spring part that locks on the notches on the plate just forward of the parking brake pedal. That's another "who da thunk" that works wonders. I had to re-educate myself in setting the parking brake. Someone on this blog asked if anyone had ever heard of Royal Purple Oil. I had not, but I decided to explore. I went to their site and did some reading and was impressed (I highly recommend you do this and read for yourself). I called their free number, was transferred to a technician and spent probably 15 or more minutes asking him questions. I am not a mechanic by a long shot, but his answers were channeled to my level. I located a place near here that could order the Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 10W40. This should not be a contested oil with BRP since they are now going to Synthetic Blend 10W40. It is not SM rated. It's hard to explain how much of a difference it has made. The best proof of the results came from one of our friends who owns an SE5. She is a rather aggressive, but good driver. We were riding with her and another one of our female Spyder (SM5) rider friends this weekend. We pulled off at a restaurant out of town and I had her ride our Spyder. She rode about one mile out and returned. When she parked you could see her smile through her full coverage helmet. She said, "This is beautiful! All you did was change oil? I want some!" After 1000 miles since the oil change on Mar 25, this is what I have noticed on our Spyder: the shifting is flawless, more responsive, smooth (gone are the burps...the only word I can think of...that occurred when down shifting automatically, just a slight notice, as the old automobile automatics used to do...I noticed this difference on the first 100 miles...the shift from 2nd to 1st was so smooth I had to look at the gear indicator, I thought I was still in 2nd!). When downshifting manually when you need a lower gear, like ride now, it gives it to you "right now", smoothly. I have not experienced any crawl in stop and go traffic (that's when the Spyder wants to craw when you are stop and go, and you are stopped, the rpms stay a bit high and if you take your foot off the brake it crawls forward). The engine is quieter. I have not had any purple (the oil is purple) oil drip on the right side scoop from the air filter box. Going up some of the long 6% grades on Interstate 8 east of San Diego I used to have to drop to 4th gear to maintain 65 mph (it just had a hard time maintaining speed without dropping rpms which dropped the speed...the engine sounded like it was struggling in 5th). Now I just twist the throttle more and the engine responds (again, I am not a mechanic, I can't explain any better).
    That's a pretty long explanation, but that's how excited I am about the oil. And, no, I don't make money by sharing this. But if I can help make another Spyder rider happier, then that's what it's all about. If you would like to talk more about it to me, message me.
    please post where you got the stuff from and how much?
    cyclemax is what i need right? 10w40? thank you
    my spyder is ready for oil change anyway and i am all for better performance. i wonder if they make oil filter for spyder
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    please post where you got the stuff from and how much?
    cyclemax is what i need right? 10w40? thank you
    my spyder is ready for oil change anyway and i am all for better performance. i wonder if they make oil filter for spyder
    Just google Royal Purple Oil

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just google Royal Purple Oil
    i been to their website but didnt he say he paid less than what they normally go at? i am all for saving money too
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    i been to their website but didnt he say he paid less than what they normally go at? i am all for saving money too
    My cost was $13.89/qt plus tax. Was not charged for ordering, etc. It was cheaper than BRP oil at my dealers, but I wasn't looking at the price that much.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

For those who have not seen my review, and may be interested, I am just bringing it back to the front. Nothing has changed since I wrote it except the miles. I now have over 2000 miles on the oil change and have not used any measureable amount of oil. I am still very pleaased with the RP oil and will continue to use it.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011