Spyder Garage

Default Snowmobile helmets

I wonder if this may be a solution to riding my Spyder in the cold. The helmet I have now has a pin lock shield. The air is very cold, so I cut off all ventilation to the inside of the helmet. It fogs up almost immediately despite the pin lock. People are riding there snowmobiles without this concern. So how are snowmobile helmets different?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Good question. I have to and watch what they are going to say here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always liked my HJC helmets...
    They come with a double-lens shield...
    I still always rode with the shield cracked open just a little bit: no fogging issues!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-08-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A lot of the snowmobile helmets have a nose piece, some actually vent your breath to the outside so that they do not fog up. They would work just fine for cold weather riding. I use mine for early spring and late fall riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lot of snow helmets have breath deflectors, your exhaled air (warm) is sent outside your helmet and away from your vision area.
    Last edited by Saluda; 12-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SNOWMOBILE HELMETS

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I wonder if this may be a solution to riding my Spyder in the cold. The helmet I have now has a pin lock shield. The air is very cold, so I cut off all ventilation to the inside of the helmet. It fogs up almost immediately despite the pin lock. People are riding there snowmobiles without this concern. So how are snowmobile helmets different?
    A long time ago they relied on double shields ( like the new house windows ) better but not perfect ..... Then they designed HEATED shields ( like rear windows on cars ) 12 volt that plug in to the elec.system ..... they work very well ..... You might get lucky and find one for your full face helmet at Dennis Kirk.com ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Ski do modular

When I snowmobiled in the Tug Hill region and Canada, I had a ski doo modular helmet that had a piece inside the helmet that looked like a fighter pilot mouth piece. It covered your entire mouth and nose area, and diverted all air outside the helmet. Just for good measure I also had the electric shield option. I never once fogged in that helmet and never once had to use the the electric shield, even at -20 at 90+ mph .
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    A long time ago they relied on double shields ( like the new house windows ) better but not perfect ..... Then they designed HEATED shields ( like rear windows on cars ) 12 volt that plug in to the elec.system ..... they work very well ..... You might get lucky and find one for your full face helmet at Dennis Kirk.com ........ Mike

X2.

Spyder Garage

It is interesting that BRP offers some snow helmets. They are expensive.
    http://store.ski-doo.com/products/715668/FULL-FACE

So I looked around and found HJC has snow helmets much cheaper. A big plus, the HJC CL-17 helmets are Snell certified.
    http://www.hjchelmets.com/snow/#.WEjMblx5JEd

I also found Bell offers a snow conversion kit for their Vortex helmet. Guess what? I have a Vortex helmet. So I bought this. If it does not work, I will get the HJC.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...ace-shield-kit
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a BRP modular (snowmobile) helmet for winter riding on the sled and summer riding on the Spyder. In the summer I just remove the nose piece. I thought the snowmobile helmet may be hot for summer riding but its been fine. Expensive is a relative term and I agree the BRP modular snowmobile helmets are grossly overpriced but you can pick them up on line (like all other Spyder and BRP gear, e-bay, etc) in the $180-$225 range quite easily.

http://www.skidoooutlet.com/ typically has some really good sales at certain times of the year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is interesting that BRP offers some snow helmets. They are expensive.
    http://store.ski-doo.com/products/715668/FULL-FACE

So I looked around and found HJC has snow helmets much cheaper. A big plus, the HJC CL-17 helmets are Snell certified.
    http://www.hjchelmets.com/snow/#.WEjMblx5JEd

I also found Bell offers a snow conversion kit for their Vortex helmet. Guess what? I have a Vortex helmet. So I bought this. If it does not work, I will get the HJC.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...ace-shield-kit
    Keep us updated. I have a Bell Qualifier and that retro fit sounds like a good solution.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have been using the BRP Modular or Modular II snowmobile helmets for years and I love them. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years I don't believe you can find a helmet that does a better job of not fogging up. As others have explained, they use a fighter pilot type face cup with hoses that evacuate the vapor outside through vent holes. The only downside to this is they can freeze up in extreme cold and block air flow. This happened to me once but not to worry, I got the helmet off before I passed out.

You could go the HJC route and save maybe $100 but it won't work as well as the BRP. Previous years BRP helmets are always on sale, making room for the new graphics and colors. I never have paid over $200.00 for any of my BRP helmets. Ingles Perfomance usually has some good deals on ski-doo helmets.

If you don't want to invest in a new helmet these breath deflectors work, not perfect and somewhat of a hassle, but they work. Again not as good as having the BRP Modular snowmobile helmets.

RU001_L_400x400.jpg

Link below to purchase breath deflector.

http://www.firstplaceparts.com/fog-evader-breath-deflector-face-mask.html

Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been waiting for you to show up!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-09-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

True, its likely the Bell and HJC solutions are not as good as Ski Doo. I will tests the Bell and see if it is acceptable.

Hey, this may be a solution!

2019 Rally , Black

Brownsburg Chatham Québec Canada & Fort Pierce FL
    Spyder Garage

B V 2S the best. I use it up north wen it's cold 509.$$ US
    Maurice RV Full Timer
    Spyder RT SM6 2014 Blanc Pearl.