PDA

View Full Version : Growling noise

scarecrow
12-04-2016, 02:44 PM
I have a growling noise on my 2014 Rts. It is not there all the time ,but it starts for about 10 secs then it will go for about 30secs. It comes and goes. My wife says it's like my dog you tell it the be quite and it has to get it's last growl in. The oil is good, the water is good, no lights on the dash. I'm at a loss.

Peter Aawen
12-04-2016, 04:01 PM
It comes & goes only when you're moving, right?? It sounds like you've got a Spyder with the air adjustable rear suspension & the compressor is kicking in. Does your RT have a button just below the handlebars with a couple of shocks on it? Once you are onboard & the engine is running, pressing the 'down' side of the button should let air out & lower the rear; then pressing the up end of that button should kick off the compressor & raise the rear. If it does that & gives you a hard/soft display on the dash as well as triggering the compressor, there y'are! :thumbup:

scarecrow
12-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Had that problem on my 2013 rts. Funny when it was in the shop to replace the compressor I traded for my 2014 rts. The noise I'm hearing in a lot louder than that and the air is staying ok.

wuzfuzz
12-04-2016, 04:57 PM
I had the same issue with my 2014. Took it to the dealer and they verified that it is the compressor. Not unusual for it to run off and on several times when riding. No problem unless it begins to run continuously.

Bob Denman
12-04-2016, 05:03 PM
:agree: It's The ACS... :thumbup:

If it's not that: you should call your local Dog Warden...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05W9SXQieEA

scarecrow
12-04-2016, 07:03 PM
I guess I'll take it down to the dealer and have it checked.

Peter Aawen
12-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Some of the compressors make a fair bit noise more than the rest, & for most that's fine. But I have heard a couple making more noise than the rest that ended up having a loose compressor impeller on the shaft, so when the comp motor ran they made a fair whack more noise as the impeller ground away at the shaft - at least until the compressor or shaft failed completely! :shocked:

Maybe you should try dumping some air out of the air bag & then triggering the compressor to force it to run & see if that confirms that it's the noise you're hearing before you head to the dealer?

scarecrow
12-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Did dump some air out of the system Yesterday and let it refill. Yes it is the compressor making the noise.
It only doing it when we ride two up. I hope it doesn't have a leak in the system. Although still under warranty. Damn that thing is noise.

Peter Aawen
12-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Glad you sorted what it is. The 2-up thing could just be due to the 'bigger' height changes that can occur on bumps or gutters etc - ours runs the compressor more 2-up but it doesn't really do all that much, just compensates for the bigger range of articulation that happens cos there's 2 of us aboard!! Still, you might want to let the dealer listen to the noise now/soon just to get their opinion on whether it's that impeller shaft thing or something else for warranty purposes - even if they just log the noise now & don't do anything yet, but if it does end up throwing a shaft or whatever, at least you'll have a date to go back to that's well before the warranty runs out! :thumbup:

Cheers, & enjoy the ryding, even if it is noisy at times! :ohyea:

ruralgirl
12-07-2016, 12:05 AM
MUST SEE angry dog growl FUNNY

It must be really easy to brush that dog's teeth. :D

Bob Denman
12-07-2016, 08:11 AM
It is! :D
The only hard part, is getting him to let go of your leg, and hold still... :yikes:

Buckeye Bleau
12-07-2016, 08:16 AM
:agree: It's The ACS... :thumbup:

If it's not that: you should call your local Dog Warden...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05W9SXQieEA

That sounds amazingly similar to my compressor, nice research Bob!

Joe

dlby
12-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Feed it and it will not go away

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!