PDA

View Full Version : No Mechanics 4 Spyders

Steven Young
12-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Really getting frustrated with trying to get service on my 2016 F3 LTD. Just called Temecula Motorsports (Southern CA. LA area) where I bought the thing. NO BRP Spyder Tech available was the response. My radio is not working and I wanted some basic service. The service manager told me that nobody wants to do warranty work on the Spyder, since they may take 3 hours to fix something, and BRP only pays 1 hour. The warranty and extended warranty by BRP are therefore Useless! Regretfully owning this thing is becoming a pain. Too bad, because I really liked it until any maintenance came due.:banghead:

lou49
12-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Really getting frustrated with trying to get service on my 2016 F3 LTD. Just called Temecula Motorsports (Southern CA. LA area) where I bought the thing. NO BRP Spyder Tech available was the response. My radio is not working and I wanted some basic service. The service manager told me that nobody wants to do warranty work on the Spyder, since they may take 3 hours to fix something, and BRP only pays 1 hour. The warranty and extended warranty by BRP are therefore Useless! Regretfully owning this thing is becoming a pain. Too bad, because I really liked it until any maintenance came due.:banghead:
Waow! That's too bad! I would get in touch with BRP and let them know that, the dealer refuse to honor their warranty! keep us posted!

dlby
12-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Who runs the place?
Sounds like twilight zone

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Peteoz
12-03-2016, 12:21 AM
As Lou says, I imagine BRP would be, at the very least, "interested" to hear that one of their retailers is refusing to honour warranty items......for WHATEVER reason.

Pete

trikermutha
12-03-2016, 12:43 AM
they sure didnt mind selling you the Spyder but dont have anyone to work on it..It really doesnt take much to figure out how to repair things. BRP is just a phone call away for support. :banghead:

Bfromla
12-03-2016, 01:39 AM
they sure didnt mind selling you the Spyder but dont have anyone to work on it..It really doesnt take much to figure out how to repair things. BRP is just a phone call away for support. :banghead:
:agree: & please make that call:lecturef_smilie: There is no reason for lack of service & we can not simply tolerate it because it will only get worse:yikes: There has to be a certified & reputable somewhere close by heck im off in N Louisiana & got 10 dealers in 200m of these poor :cus:roads :dontknow:

flaggerphil
12-03-2016, 02:14 AM
Bad dealer. Mine is the exact opposite...they bend over backwards to give good service.

Steven Young
12-03-2016, 02:58 AM
Bad dealer. Mine is the exact opposite...they bend over backwards to give good service.

Well I never dreamed the service availability was so non-existent in the heavily populated Los Angeles basin. BRP recommended I try Malcom Smith Motorsports...They at least gave me an appointment 10 days out. They are some 150 miles away, making it a real all day ordeal to have a second person follow and drive me home, plus take me back to pick it up. Had I ever thought this was going to be the drill, I would never have considered the Spyder. When my riding buddy told me the local Harley dealer will pick up your bike via trailer for service, It makes me think...

ussoldier
12-03-2016, 03:11 AM

Well, I am sorry to hear that. I guess that is why I kept it to the skelton such as the F3-S. The more electronics on a bike the more problems. But that is my opinion.

Here is my recommendation for you, contact California Department of Consumer Affairs http://www.dca.ca.gov/consumer/ Let them know your story. An investigation team will reach out to that department. You may be able to sue that department. Yes, it is going to take a while. But, it is worth it.

I actually created a post on "Extended Warranty in California" http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?99742-Extended-Warranty-in-California You should check it out.

The only place that I am very familiar with and I believe it is the ONLY one in California that is BRP Platinum Certified is in Elk Grove, CA. I understand it is a long drive, but it is worth the drive. I am using PowerRev for my warranty. Some say that Western Warranty is the best. Check out Elk Grove for your issue. Please make a complaint with that dealer through Department of Consumer Affairs.

ARtraveler
12-03-2016, 03:51 AM

I have a real problem with dealers who will take your $30 thousand dollars and then don't have any mechanics to do service on them. I would start by contacting BRP.
Try: brp.care@brp.com

Let us know what Steve has to say about it. :thumbup:

jcthorne
12-03-2016, 06:22 AM
Part of the dealer franchise agreement is that they MUST service the brand. If they refuse service they will loose the franchise.

Do reach out to BRP and your state consumer affairs office.

Peteoz
12-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Well, I am sorry to hear that. I guess that is why I kept it to the skelton such as the F3-S. The more electronics on a bike the more problems. But that is my opinion.

Here is my recommendation for you, contact California Department of Consumer Affairs http://www.dca.ca.gov/consumer/ Let them know your story. An investigation team will reach out to that department. You may be able to sue that department. Yes, it is going to take a while. But, it is worth it.

I actually created a post on "Extended Warranty in California" http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?99742-Extended-Warranty-in-California You should check it out.

The only place that I am very familiar with and I believe it is the ONLY one in California that is BRP Platinum Certified is in Elk Grove, CA. I understand it is a long drive, but it is worth the drive. I am using PowerRev for my warranty. Some say that Western Warranty is the best. Check out Elk Grove for your issue. Please make a complaint with that dealer through Department of Consumer Affairs.

Surely you wouldn't take it to a government body before you found out Can Am's take on the issue, ussoldier? It could possibly be resolved with a single phone call from Can Am to the dealer. It may not of course, but to jump down a government rat hole before you have taken at least some basic correctional steps won't do anyone any favours.

Av8er
12-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Surely you wouldn't take it to a government body before you found out Can Am's take on the issue, ussoldier? It could possibly be resolved with a single phone call from Can Am to the dealer. It may not of course, but to jump down a government rat hole before you have taken at least some basic correctional steps won't do anyone any favours.

Even if can am got got them to work on it, would you really want them too after this? Not me!!! There is no telling what they would half do in order to get done. It could compromise safety and reliability in the end. I would make a complaint and find another dealer.

Buckeye Bleau
12-03-2016, 07:31 AM
It is very unfortunate that such things happen, but they do in many industries. Service after the sale should always be considered, though we all have difficulty determining this unless we speak with other locals.

Johnny K's has two stores in Ohio, they offer good inventory and outstanding service but one store is 50 miles from me and the other is 60. BRP took on another dealer in my city, they sell most everything but HD. Their prices are lower the Johnny K but thier service is just plain awful. It took them 3.5 weeks to do a 15k mile service last spring, and since then others have told me that they refuse to service anything more than 5 years old, even if they sold it. They claim that if it is that old you need to buy new.

i will not be buying or servicing them in the future.

Joe

youngers
12-03-2016, 07:56 AM
I do not know , but is your cycle brand new ? or are you 2nd hand owner ? and is the cycle shop where you purchased this , do they sell can-am motorcycles and other cycles also ? the 2012 I bought was from a cycle shop other side of the area of where I am now , they would do a warranty but at a crazy price , so we chose not too go that route , but this cycle shop most likely did not have a spyder technician on site either I am willing too bet ! do not get me wrong , I did have a problem that I fixed my self , so I was a bit put off on the cycle , until I got into it and got familiar with it , really like the ride now ! now that it is cold and winter time :( ... so this was the reason I asked about the 1st or 2nd owner question !

lewisalice
12-03-2016, 08:26 AM
I have one dealer the mechanic is terrible will not let them touch my bike. there another dealer that very good I use them all the time great service.

Gray Ghost
12-03-2016, 08:56 AM
...The service manager told me that nobody wants to do warranty work on the Spyder, since they may take 3 hours to fix something, and BRP only pays 1 hour. ...

You may want to contact the general manager of the dealership as well, the service manager may be making statements without the general manager's knowledge. The "1 hour" statement is BS and I am sure that BRP would want to know about it.

SteveP
12-03-2016, 09:19 AM
As in all purchases there are inferior dealerships and service departments. The dealership I bought mine off in Toronto ( Snow City ) have been great every time I go there either for service or just to see what's new etc ... 30 miles away at Bennett Power Sports they actually walked away from me when I said I was looking for a Spyder but only wanted to spend around $16,000 dollars and left me standing there for 15 minutes until I finally walked out . Had the same problem after buying a new Dodge Caravan , had to get my service done at another dealership because where I bought it they treated customers so poorly

PrairieSpyder
12-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Dealers who sell and service several brands may not work on Spyders enough for techs to stay proficient on them. That's why I like to use Pitbull (300 miles) and SpyderPops (500 miles). I also try to have things done when I'm at dealer-sponsored events as much as possible.

Bob Denman
12-03-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry that you're in this situation... :shocked:
The ability to get your Spyder serviced properly; should be more important than the cheaper price you got...
Find another dealer!

murphybrown
12-03-2016, 11:14 AM

They are in the LA area and have a good reputation. Have you called them? They are also a site sponsor here on Spyderlovers..

hypurone
12-03-2016, 11:58 AM
and maybe try Fun Bike Center in SD. I had a great experience buying from them remotely. I have no FHE with their service tho....

robtdonna
12-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Even if can am got got them to work on it, would you really want them too after this? Not me!!! There is no telling what they would half do in order to get done. It could compromise safety and reliability in the end. I would make a complaint and find another dealer.

:agree:

ussoldier
12-03-2016, 02:09 PM

BRP is a good start to begin with; however, notifying Department of Consumer Affairs and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues can help people nationwide for being duped or let consumers be aware of the products.. I have a few friends and family members who worked there.

Plus, if you did contact BRP. Do you really think you want to go to Temecula motorsports to do your service? They may do half fast job or they would probably make some additional errors. Here is an example: If you go to McDonalds, and you bought a hamburger. You notice there is a bug in your hamburger. So you notified the manager to get a new hamburger. Don't you have the feeling the person who is making the hamburger will spit it on? lol I am just saying.

As for the mean time, fix your radio and let us know what dealer provide a good service. They say Whittier or Bert's Mega Mall is good. Here is a link for you to check out in the Southern California: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81366-Reputable-dealers-in-southern-California-seeing-horror-stories-on-Yelp&highlight=Grove

(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81366-Reputable-dealers-in-southern-California-seeing-horror-stories-on-Yelp&highlight=Grove)

Nightrider1
12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
I have dealt with both Johnny K's and Harding Park cycle in Canton. I left Johnny K's when I couldn't get good service there. An example was waiting 3 weeks to have a headlight put in when they were taking their mechanics out of service to train for countless hours on another franchise. Keep in mind I bought my bike there and I still couldn't get the service. This dealership is 11 miles from my house. When HP got a can am dealership at the beginning of the year I moved my service there. I have had 2 warrenty issues, and oil change and a major service done there to great satisfaction with price and workmanship. Two of my friends have also transferred their service work to hp and both are satisfied with both the work and savings. I am sure that there were hiccups when they first started servicing these vehicles but their work is good, the price is right and it worth traveling the additional 34 miles to be treated with respect.

Dan McNally
12-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Well I never dreamed the service availability was so non-existent in the heavily populated Los Angeles basin. BRP recommended I try Malcom Smith Motorsports...They at least gave me an appointment 10 days out. They are some 150 miles away, making it a real all day ordeal to have a second person follow and drive me home, plus take me back to pick it up. Had I ever thought this was going to be the drill, I would never have considered the Spyder. When my riding buddy told me the local Harley dealer will pick up your bike via trailer for service, It makes me think...

There are other dealers - http://can-am.brp.com/content/canam-spyder/en_US/dealer-locator/results.html?address=Indian+Wells%2C+CA+92210%2C+U nited+States&store_type=dealers&certification=platinum&additional_services=servicing&additional_services=offers_test_drives&additional_services=sell_accessories&store_type=service_outlet&placeId=ChIJzYuhaqZR2oARiECr1D8cEgc

WEB-WVR
12-03-2016, 06:45 PM
As Lou says, I imagine BRP would be, at the very least, "interested" to hear that one of their retailers is refusing to honour warranty items......for WHATEVER reason.

Pete

You need to send an email to BRP....they need to know what bad service some of these Dealers provide. It makes the entire product experience feel bad. :banghead:

lou49
12-03-2016, 07:14 PM

see if they can offer you a loaner! brp can afford to pay for it! let them know how disappointed you're!

dlby
12-03-2016, 08:34 PM
I went 140 miles in beginning until I found great service nearby.
However even the great service was slammed on google & other avenues.

HD tended to treat me well for years---but not that many years ago not so good.

I wanted the Spyder, not looking around for reason to get out.

HD btw had lots of issues ignored by dealers & headquarters also.
But I loved my ride

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Lone Spyder Ryder
12-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Buying fromTemecula MotorSports is one of the worst thing I have ever done when buying my 3rd Spyder. They just suck.

Lone Spyder Ryder
12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Buying fromTemecula MotorSports is one of the worst thing I have ever done when buying my 3rd Spyder.

Peteoz
12-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Whether you would CHOOSE to use them after an investigation is a totally different scenario, Av8er. It may simply be a misunderstanding on what charging model is applied, or it may be an ingrained poor attitude at the dealer, in which case I would definitely go somewhere else. Give Can Am a chance to resolve it first, is all I am saying.

Retired 2012
12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Some of you know me or at least have read my post about my experience with Temecula Motor Sports. While they haven't always seen it my way, the owner Jerry has always listened to my remarks and made an effort to assist me. Jerry is a hands on owners I urge you to call and speak with him. Jerry sponsors our Star touring chapter and just allowed us to use his dealership to launch a memorial ride for the Spyder riders of America - San Diego chapter.
I have voiced my concerns over his service manager before and Jerry worked out a solution there as well. If you give him a chance to help you, he may just surprise you with a workable solution.
I hope the statement about "no Spyder tech" was meant as not on duty, not that there wasn't any employed there, my F3-S is due for a service soon.
If i can be of any assistance please let me know, I only live 7 miles away from TMS.
Darren

Steven Young
12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Some of you know me or at least have read my post about my experience with Temecula Motor Sports. While they haven't always seen it my way, the owner Jerry has always listened to my remarks and made an effort to assist me. Jerry is a hands on owners I urge you to call and speak with him. Jerry sponsors our Star touring chapter and just allowed us to use his dealership to launch a memorial ride for the Spyder riders of America - San Diego chapter.
I have voiced my concerns over his service manager before and Jerry worked out a solution there as well. If you give him a chance to help you, he may just surprise you with a workable solution.
I hope the statement about "no Spyder tech" was meant as not on duty, not that there wasn't any employed there, my F3-S is due for a service soon.
If i can be of any assistance please let me know, I only live 7 miles away from TMS.
Darren

For the record, "No Spyder Tech" means NONE. I was told the Only Spyder Tech Quit. Again the reason was, " BRP does not pay well enough when doing Warranty work and the Spyder is complicated with computers and all- where the tech may take 3 hours to do a job, but BRP will only pay him 1 hour". I was told they are looking to get a replacement Spyder Tech., but for now they Do Not have one.

Update: 12/4/ Bill Haus -Service Manager called out of the blue- I had Not called him. He said they do not have a specific Spyder Tech., but can address my radio problems and to now bring it in. I asked if they had a person that knew what they were doing with the Spyder, and he said they had people that worked on them before, but could Not handle anything Major like big engine problems.

ndspyderlover
12-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Really getting frustrated with trying to get service on my 2016 F3 LTD. Just called Temecula Motorsports (Southern CA. LA area) where I bought the thing. NO BRP Spyder Tech available was the response. My radio is not working and I wanted some basic service. The service manager told me that nobody wants to do warranty work on the Spyder, since they may take 3 hours to fix something, and BRP only pays 1 hour. The warranty and extended warranty by BRP are therefore Useless! Regretfully owning this thing is becoming a pain. Too bad, because I really liked it until any maintenance came due.:banghead:I have had 4 spyders and service has been a real problem. when I bought my last one I asked the dealer some very pointed questions. I asked them if they had a mechanic who would take of it. I also talked to the mechanic. I used them to replace a tire on my previous tire and they are excellent. I will pay more at a dealership for a new spyder if the assure me they will and can service it. my dealer is Ollies out of Alexandria, mn

Elembytes
12-05-2016, 05:22 PM
I will say stuff like this story will do more harm then good. I just wanted to say that there are dealers closer to where I live but I don't use them. One is similar to to this story, they sell them but not too keen on servicing. When you find a blessing keep using them even if it is far away. I drive 3 hours to go to my dealer, it's worth it. We make a day of it, and if it can't be done in a day, well, we try to stay overnight but so far have only had to do that once and that was with our old 2012 RTS and Brp OVERNIGHTED a part and it got put on the very next morning and we were on our way home again. Hang in there---there has got to be a better dealer out there near you. Like others commented though, I'd sure let BRP know so they can make some hopefully good corporate decisions to keep their product and name out there.

Bfromla
12-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Not to hijack thread but hope this will help others & if you can offer any additional info please pm me.
So FYI here is. A quick list I've compiled:

👍👎 dealers quick list of comments stated already this year

👎Fun bike center Mesa AZ:
👍Veys powersports
El Cajon AZ: By same person with tire problem.

👍Birds of prey Caldwell IA:
Towing assistance for someone with key/DESS problem

👍Sierra cycles Sierra Vista AZ:
Someone with damaged low tire got a helping hand, loner bike & repair wrk.

👍 Motorsports inc
Hanover PA: somebody had multiple issues p-brake & windshield & were instructed how to move spyder by helpful dealer (communicated tie dow instructions to tow truck over phone)

👍 Ride Now Chandler AZ: someone glad with fast service.

👍RideNow in Chandler, AZ:
Someone that had previous bad experience with sales dept had a great report for the service dept

👍Arctic adventures Rosendale NY: Recommended by someone to another having dealer trust issues

👍Rivco had express delivery complications (not sure where fault was)& the refunded & made sure customer was satisfied

👎Maxium Powersports Merrillville, IN : service dept failure to communicate times of repair person left w/o bike & no information for a week.

👍Baja Ron for service & parts all around
👍Spyderpops for service & parts all around
⚡️👍Lamonster all around

Corbin
👍good looking stuff
👎long wait on orders
👎multiple complaints of service when there is a question on paid for expensive parts.
👎for warranty issues when bought with dealer assistance

👍
Lou the guy who owns Pirate Motorsports on Center St in Riverside CA:
He has customers bringing their bikes from 150 miles away--just for an oil change (really)!

👍Vey's Powersports in El Cajon in San Diego CA: reports of fast service & good price from someone had parts already.

👍CASWELL CYCLE Mora, MN: Group on tour had good reports for service dept

👍Eddie Chance aka WildTexasRanger with Little Loyd's Engine Repair in Palestine, Tx:
Eddie has a satellite garage in Shreveport, LA.

👎Mancuso's Houston TX: Bad service request , leave bike for a simple mirror repair, not, just fix & go

Person had hot gas tank & spewing gas,
👎pikes peak Motorsports Colo. springs, CO: was no help & dismissive of the problem
👍RPM Motorsports Littleton Littleton, CO: was helpful same bike

👍Elk Grove Powersports. North CA: general compliment of timely service wrk

👍 Pro Caliber PowerSports Bend, OR: person was out on trip had mishap with transmission & was towed & fixed quickly

👍Alcoa Good Times Knoxville, TN : report if fast service

👍GSS Powersports in East Haven, CT.: fast second opinion & repairs for a desperate owner looking for better dealer. Found & fixed number of problems in time for an event, previous dealer failed & may be source of some of the problems found.

👍ELK GROVE POWERSPORTS, CA:
Report for fast friendly service just in time for Nor Cal rally

👍 Johnny K's in Warren, Ohio and especially in Lodi, Ohio. Great service, sales and all around customer support.

👎 to Hardings Park Cycle in Canton, Ohio. They try to charge for warranty work, believe unmolicious, they don't know what was covered, and it took them over three weeks to do a service

👎Temecula Motorsports (Southern CA. LA area) NO BRP Spyder Tech available was the response. wanted some basic service. ⚠️

👍Central Florida Power Sports, Kissimmee, FL. Happy customer reports with yrs of good service.

Thats what I have for now. Pm me if you can help add to it:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
12-05-2016, 06:53 PM
I'd like to add:
Klinger PowerSports, in Walton, NY
They've got Technicians that have been BRP trained, and they've always done right by me and my bikes! :thumbup:

Sam Mac
12-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Fascinating thread. I have to wonder why BRP would put up with dealers like those mentioned unless BRP doesn't care as long as they move product. Not a good way to instill confidence in the product to future customers in my opinion.

Bfromla
12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Fascinating thread. I have to wonder why BRP would put up with dealers like those mentioned unless BRP doesn't care as long as they move product. Not a good way to instill confidence in the product to future customers in my opinion.
Also makes us wonder why we do not hear from BRP here more often? They & almost every other business will jump on FB in a heartbeat but are few & far between with any comments on this dedicated forum:dontknow::p

Pirate looks at --
12-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Harley's are used to riding on trailers!:roflblack::roflblack:141059

Pirate looks at --
12-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Buying fromTemecula MotorSports is one of the worst thing I have ever done when buying my 3rd Spyder.
Especially when you have a great dealer in your own backyard!!:yes:

KX5062
12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Jet World Powersports in Castaic has a very good reputation and is a Platinum dealer. It appears to be not all that far from you. ;)

djhobin
12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
I have a 2013 ST and have all my service done at Mission Motorsports. They have an excellent Spyder Tech. They are only 10 miles from where I live.

Dennis

SpyderChief
12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Vey's Powersports in El Cajon, CA (San Diego east county) has a BRP master mechanic, Kevin.
Also, North County House of Motorcycles in Vista, CA (San Diego north county) also has a Spyder mechanic.

Steven Young
12-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Well just for kicks I tried Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside. They refused to do warranty work on my bike. They would Not let me talk to the Spyder Tech. They claimed since I put the LaMonster LED head lights and fog lights in, and also had a cig lighter connected to the aux user circut that it was Not a BRP approved install and therefore they would not help me with the radio. I stressed to them the radio had gone bad BEFORE any Led light or cig lighter install and also to just turn the key on and off while holding the Mode button so No LED lights were powered and Only the radio was powered. No Deal! So NO WARRANTY if you install aftermarket LED Lights! I gave Lou at Pirate a call, and he is going to try and help me where the Dealers will Not. But to be honest, My patience and desire to own this machine has regretfully ended. The dealers wiggle out of any warranty work and I'm fed up with CanAm and BRP junk! I'll hope Lou can help me, and if not- Look for a fair priced 2016 F3 Black LMTD to be available. :banghead:

Gray Ghost
12-11-2016, 10:48 PM
... So NO WARRANTY if you install aftermarket LED Lights! ...

Look up the Moss Magnuson Act. They cannot deny warranty just because you installed LED lights. They have to be able to prove that a modification was the cause of the issue. You may want to check to see if your state has any kind of consumer rights office.

Peteoz
12-12-2016, 12:57 AM
Look up the Moss Magnuson Act. They cannot deny warranty just because you installed LED lights. They have to be able to prove that a modification was the cause of the issue. You may want to check to see if your state has any kind of consumer rights office.

The only problem with that is that if you get them to effect the warranty by quoting he act, and they find that the issue WAS caused by the installation of the LEDs, then YOU will be up for the cost.

JimVonBaden
12-12-2016, 07:27 AM
The only problem with that is that if you get them to effect the warranty by quoting he act, and they find that the issue WAS caused by the installation of the LEDs, then YOU will be up for the cost.

That is kind of obvious, but the point is that they can't say that until they prove it.

Installing LED lights can't damage a radio.

PMK
12-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Well just for kicks I tried Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside. They refused to do warranty work on my bike. They would Not let me talk to the Spyder Tech. They claimed since I put the LaMonster LED head lights and fog lights in, and also had a cig lighter connected to the aux user circut that it was Not a BRP approved install and therefore they would not help me with the radio. I stressed to them the radio had gone bad BEFORE any Led light or cig lighter install and also to just turn the key on and off while holding the Mode button so No LED lights were powered and Only the radio was powered. No Deal! So NO WARRANTY if you install aftermarket LED Lights! I gave Lou at Pirate a call, and he is going to try and help me where the Dealers will Not. But to be honest, My patience and desire to own this machine has regretfully ended. The dealers wiggle out of any warranty work and I'm fed up with CanAm and BRP junk! I'll hope Lou can help me, and if not- Look for a fair priced 2016 F3 Black LMTD to be available. :banghead:

Did you install the LEDs and power adapter yourself?

It may be a bummer to remove, but remove them and then have the radio sorted out.

Shawn Smoake posted a video a long while back on his blog. Owner installed accessories, created a nightmare of electrical problems on a machine. Basically I think it came down to poor workmanship by the installer.

Some shops do not want to deal with contending with customers in regards to if they do find issues or concerns with poor quality installations. Also, it has been posted many times here, one of the first things BRP will have the dealer accomplish is totally disconnecting the accessories to verify the problem. BRP does not pay for this, and I would guess the dealer does not want to fight for their money.

Remove the LEDS and power plug, then take it back in.

I agree with the law saying the installed items must be proven to have caused the failure, the LEDs and power port most likely did not cause the issue, but the entire thing revolves around money and who is paying for the troubleshooting work.

Lou being independent will be easier to work with, however, I doubt he will accomplish the work for free.

Steven Young
12-12-2016, 07:54 AM

Again- The radio was Not working Before I put the LEDs in. At this point I'm out any and All costs anyway, since the Dealers refuse (or can't) work on it. I'm not chasing all over California to different dealers in hopes one Might do me a favor and work on this thing. I now see that they will not do Warranty work....I just want it fixed without any more hassle, wasted money
and time. Funny, my 88 year old Doctor friend said, "I had a machine like that once..the Ford Edsel".

Steven Young
01-10-2017, 07:12 PM
After being refused Warranty work at Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside, Ca. And Temecula Motorsports with no real Spyder mechanic available, I was left with no other choice but to attempt to just pay for my 2016 F3 LMTD to get fixed by someone that knows what they are doing with the Spyder. Since I had Clearly stated to Malcolm Smith that my stereo problem was PRIOR to any install of LED (Lamonster) fog and headlights, I was very unhappy with BRP and their refusal to even try to help me.
Alas I reverted to Lou at Pirate Motorsports, Riverside, Ca. and asked for help. As per normal with Lou, he gave me a bill stating the following:
Checked speakers for proper ground. Found poor connection on speakers. Repaired bad connections. FM Stereo and MP3 checked all ops normal.
My bike left Pirate Motorsports with my Stereo problem fixed, belt tension checked, tires checked, cleaned and he bought me lunch!
Thus The so called "tech" at Malcolm Smith was Completly Wrong in refusing Warranty work. Even after I Told him the problem was Pre-LED light install!
We need BRP to get folks who actually know the Spyder to be Service Centers, and dump the anti-customer service dealers who know little and make it a hassle to own a Spyder.

Thanks Pirate Motorsports for making it nice to own a Spyder👍

Samson
01-10-2017, 08:27 PM
I have been reading this thread since I am a fairly new F3 T owner. I know the Spyder is a complex machine but there are other bikes that are complex as well. I had a Yamaha Tenere with about 10K in upgrade and extras, didn't have any problems getting it serviced. A friend has the 2015 BMW K1600 , not sure there is a more complex bike and he seems to have no issues with service. Could this be a dealer network issue with BRP? I hope not as I am certainly not going to tear into this thing myself when the time comes.

I am glad you had the bike fixed and it sounds like it was a minor issue ( this time) .

Chupaca
01-10-2017, 08:51 PM
Don't think he does warranty work but the best in southern california is Lou at Pirate powersports in Riverside. Many here in san Diego go to him and no one else. It is a haul from here but he's that good. You are much closer. Tell him George, Kieth, Ken, Mark all from SRA San Diego recommended him to you....and me though I don't go there....do my own work....:thumbup:

ussoldier
01-11-2017, 01:50 AM
After being refused Warranty work at Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside, Ca. And Temecula Motorsports with no real Spyder mechanic available, I was left with no other choice but to attempt to just pay for my 2016 F3 LMTD to get fixed by someone that knows what they are doing with the Spyder. Since I had Clearly stated to Malcolm Smith that my stereo problem was PRIOR to any install of LED (Lamonster) fog and headlights, I was very unhappy with BRP and their refusal to even try to help me.
Alas I reverted to Lou at Pirate Motorsports, Riverside, Ca. and asked for help. As per normal with Lou, he gave me a bill stating the following:
Checked speakers for proper ground. Found poor connection on speakers. Repaired bad connections. FM Stereo and MP3 checked all ops normal.
My bike left Pirate Motorsports with my Stereo problem fixed, belt tension checked, tires checked, cleaned and he bought me lunch!
Thus The so called "tech" at Malcolm Smith was Completly Wrong in refusing Warranty work. Even after I Told him the problem was Pre-LED light install!
We need BRP to get folks who actually know the Spyder to be Service Centers, and dump the anti-customer service dealers who know little and make it a hassle to own a Spyder.

Thanks Pirate Motorsports for making it nice to own a Spyder👍

I am curious what warranty do you have? I have the PowerRev Warranty. Others love the Western Warranty. Most have the BRP warranty.

Steven Young
01-11-2017, 03:04 AM
I am curious what warranty do you have? I have the PowerRev Warranty. Others love the Western Warranty. Most have the BRP warranty.

Western Warranty to 06/09/2022. But..this is a 2016 machine, and still well under the BRP warranty. Clearly the $1,495.00 Western Service Contract I bought for 72 months is Also of no help.

sg2848775
01-11-2017, 06:58 AM
I too have had the same problem when it comes to service for my 2015 F3. I am approaching the 10,00 mile mark. And had service at the dealer at 9500. Althought having the extened warrenty and all. I still walked out having to drop 200.00 dollars. I like the F3, But I am going to sell it and go back to Harley Davidson Tri-Glide. At least there are dealerships all over Southern Califorina where you can get service. And owing Harleys in the past. They have stood behind there product. BRP is all about making money. That's their goal. Whittier Motorsports has been good so far. But there hands are tied when it comes to items BRP will not cover.

Lobo
01-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Here in Myrtle Beach, SC the dealer has one trained Spyder mechanic. They will not make appointments so I have been without my RT for as long as 10 days, for nothing major. I've been in there enough that now they usually fit me in as soon as they can. They say they appreciate that I don't come in ranting like most. The service is good once they get to it but very frustrating having to be without my RT. Especially since I don't own a car (my wife does) and it is my primary transportation.

DrewNJ
01-11-2017, 11:11 AM
The really sad thing is that they really aren't any more difficult to work on than any other bike/trike on the road.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2017, 11:30 AM
The really sad thing is that they really aren't any more difficult to work on than any other bike/trike on the road.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
:agree: :agree: :agree: ........ Since 09, I have had my 3 Spyders into the dealers a total of 5 times ( 3 for warranty work ). I don't even consider myself to be a mechanic......The BUDS thing can sometimes be an issue, but for a lot of the things that state BUDS MUST BE USED TO RE-SET - - - actually DON'T ...... I don't have an engineering degree, but have successfully re-designed the front suspensions on both Spyder frames ( 08 thru 12 & 13 thru 16 ). You never know what you are capable of .....until you TRY ...... & I also thank the Great and Generous folks here on Spyderlovers for all the help I've received over the years , it's been in-valuable :clap:......so good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Rogue Hawk
01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
No soup 4 you!!!

Blue Star
01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Western Warranty to 06/09/2022. But..this is a 2016 machine, and still well under the BRP warranty. Clearly the $1,495.00 Western Service Contract I bought for 72 months is Also of no help.

While I admit is has been awhile since I have talked to Lou about warranties. He was able to accept Western, but not the BRP warranty.

Like mentioned before, Lou at Pirate Power Sports is the best hands down, and worth the extra distance for me.