PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked 2016 RT Limited

Portertown
12-01-2016, 12:47 AM
www.erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/motorcycles/can-am/spyder/2016-can-am-spyder-18285651

Does anyone have any knowledge of the wrecked 2016 RT Limited that is listed in the above link?
It is located in Fruitland, Maryland at a salvage auction location. It only has 544 miles and starts and moves. It appears it just was hit in the front center and the front tires/fenders look like they did not hit anything. It at a minimum will need all the front/side body panels, fog lights, one rear side storage compartment.
They have not assigned an auction date yet.
I have a friend who has purchased several touring bikes that were wrecked and he has fixed them all and put 80,000 plus miles each on a couple of them. He is a retired auto instructor from the local community college.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide about this Spyder.

trikermutha
12-01-2016, 12:56 AM
well pictures do not show everything from what I can tell. Could have frame damage and possible engine damage along with who knows what else.

That front end is pushed in and could have plenty of hidden damage you may not what to take on. :yikes:

The way those body panels are push all the way back I would really be concerned before buying that. JMO

The cost could be in the thousands to repair

Good Luck

Bfromla
12-01-2016, 01:40 AM
Agree a closer inspection is warranted. I can see it is a limited & the GPS (that should be included) is not on the dock. & with the all of the front end pushed in like that there is good chance of frunk lid failure belt alinement, radiator issues. The list goes on & on. If the front was the impact area how far did it have to move to damage the side??? It may move under its own power but thats moving not driving. They just saved $$$ by not using a tow-truck. Did that damage something unseen more? These machines are too sensitive to just wing it.

Portertown
12-01-2016, 02:45 AM
I agree there could be many problems and unseen damage with this Spyder. I was hoping maybe the original owner (or someone who knows him) had some info about this Spyder. He may be a member of this forum. I have found the insurance appraisal form and the name of the original owner and his phone number in the last few minutes. I will call him tomorrow and see what info I can find out. He lives in STONEY POINT, NY.
I would for sure make the trip up to Delaware (not Maryland as I posted) where the bike is located at the present time to inspect it in person before I would entertain any thoughts of bidding on it.

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 07:55 AM
:shocked: It looks all too familiar...

It took almost $13,000 to fix when 2010, when I screwed up... nojoke
As much as I hate to say it: consider your actions carefully...
Good luck!

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 08:05 AM
They totaled a $20+K bike for a reason. That said, I have seen bikes totaled for scratches on the frame. Insurance wont fix a frame, even paint, so that means you could have a great deal on your hands depending on other damage and your skillset. If you can work on bikes yourself there is a lot of potential there. My big concern is that there seems to be very little in the way of used parts, so cost for parts is going to be high.

That said, I bought this for $2500, added $300 in necessary parts, rode it 2 years, and sold it for $6K.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Repairs/On-the-trailer.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Repairs/Bent-Muffler.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Repairs/Front-Fender-front-fix0-1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Repairs/Franken-headlight-1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Clean-up/IMG_2460.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/R1200ST/Clean-up/IMG_2472.jpg

JayBros
12-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Just looking at the parts lists the frame is a grand. If the original frame is still in perfect alignment you're OK, but the price of poker could still get pretty steep as there's a lot of stuff that bolts to the frame and could be damaged.

Highwayman2013
12-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Considering the frunk took the brunt of the hit and that the frunk bolts to the front of the frame, it's pretty safe to say the frame is toast. It can be fixed, just a lot of work. You better get it cheap.

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 09:23 AM
That frame IS toast... nojoke
The SST configuration is not particularly strong; they tweak easily! :shocked:
When I had to buy a frame (five years ago.); they cost over $1400. :yikes:

trikermutha
12-01-2016, 09:30 AM
:agree: I would tend to agree the frame is bent as looking at the side panels everything is pushed back and out of alignment.

If you get lucky and things don't look as bad as they do it could be something to buy but it really doesn't look promising? :dontknow:

Anyway good luck calling the previous owner :thumbup:

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I worked in a body shop for 6 years. A bent frame is a definite possibility. My guess, just a guess, is it was hit from behind and shoved into a car in front. This would result in the frame getting bent in middle along the spine. The car from behind would have hit the rear tire and might have taken out the saddlebag lid on the one side also. I am curious to hear what actually happened and see if my guess is correct.

If I am correct, then hidden damage to the swingarm and related parts is very possible also.

Found a new frame for $1095. I would buy this spyder and replace the frame if you can get it for $7000-$9000.

I agree. I wouldn't pay more than $7K though. You will be working with a salvage title, so unless you plan to ride it into the ground, resale will be much reduced.

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
I agree, but my dad has wanted one and I would build it for him and he would never sell it. He never sells anything. I know.... I just cleaned his garages for him... OMG! He never gets rid of anything!

Sounds like the perfect match for you. I would try it myself. I don't mind a project.

Your dad sounds like my dad. When he died there was a lot to get rid of!:D

trikermutha
12-01-2016, 11:23 AM
I believe the VIN is on the swing arm :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 11:28 AM
I believe the VIN is on the swing arm :thumbup:
Yup! Left side, and up near where the shock attached to it...

Highwayman2013
12-01-2016, 11:31 AM
The VIN in two places, sticker on the swing arm and on my 2012 RT right side on the front of the frame.https://www.manualslib.com/manual/851614/Can-Am-Spyder-Rt.html?page=154

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 11:33 AM
The VIN in two places, sticker on the swing arm and on my 2012 RT right side on the front of the frame.
:thumbup:
By law it has to be on the main frame. It can optionally be in other places also, but has to be on the main frame.

trikermutha
12-01-2016, 11:35 AM
interesting have to snoop around one day when I have the panels off to look for the VIN on the frame :dontknow:

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 11:47 AM
That one is up front on the right-hand side...
I think that if the wind is blowing just right: you can see it through the wheel opening.

ARtraveler
12-01-2016, 01:33 PM
This could be a good buy if the price is indeed right. Just remember, this is a salvage bike. If you have the expertise, time, and the money to spend to get it road worthy...then it sounds like a good idea.

If you are shopping salvage and are not the expert above, then it could be a dubious project.

Make sure you do your due diligence like it sounds you are prepared to do. Let us know how this works out. :thumbup:

Portertown
12-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's help and tips.
I do have the skills needed to take on a project such as this Spyder. However, I am only interested in it if I can get it on the "cheap". If it was hit in the rear tire I for sure am not interested at any price.
If it turns out to be only panel damage and no frame damage this could be a good deal. I am hoping the insurance adjuster had no clue how to do the appraisal of this Spyder and just guessed at what they thought could be damaged.
Many questions to find out the answers to. First is what is actually damaged on this unit, can the factory warranty be transferred, how to get it titled in NC, how has it been stored, etc?

Do not want to get this thing and then it track sideways when going down the road. It would then be known as a "CRAB", not a Spyder.

Aracknoid
12-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Portertown, I hope you can get this machine at a good price and repair it for your father, great gift.

Knowing what I do about salvage auctions, if it is an "easy" fix you may not be the only bidder. If the other bidder is a parts breaker that bike could go for a lot of money, due to the shortage of used parts.

Good Luck

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 02:52 PM
I do have the skills needed to take on a project such as this Spyder. However, I am only interested in it if I can get it on the "cheap". If it was hit in the rear tire I for sure am not interested at any price.
If it turns out to be only panel damage and no frame damage this could be a good deal. I am hoping the insurance adjuster had no clue how to do the appraisal of this Spyder and just guessed at what they thought could be damaged.
Many questions to find out the answers to. First is what is actually damaged on this unit, can the factory warranty be transferred, how to get it titled in NC, how has it been stored, etc?

Do not want to get this thing and then it track sideways when going down the road. It would then be known as a "CRAB", not a Spyder.

Good luck! Please let us know what happens next! :thumbup:

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Any bike that is salvage titled will forfeit the warranty. I am confident that the frame is at least scratched. No telling if it is a simple bent mounting tab or a tweaked frame, it could be either.

JayBros
12-01-2016, 04:20 PM
interesting have to snoop around one day when I have the panels off to look for the VIN on the frame :dontknow:

Here's what it looks like on my Spyder. It's a PITA to see, best way is to turn bars hard right. It's located just below the front right upper A-arm bolt.

PMK
12-20-2016, 02:55 AM
About 6 hours remaining on the auction for the 2016 that was wrecked, price was at $3100.

PW2013STL
12-20-2016, 06:17 AM
2 1/2 hours left and $4187 with fees.

Kwalsh
12-20-2016, 07:03 AM
let us know how you do but that seems reasonable so far, good luck!!!!

Av8er
12-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Well....... what did it sale for?

Bob Denman
12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
:agree: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Auto auction sites like this one apparently remove the listing immediately at the close of the auction. They also don't say what the final bid was, nor if it it even sold. I found that out when I was thinking about buying a wrecked Goldwing trike before I decided to look for a Spyder. Several times I followed an auction only to see it close with no end result given. Occasionally I would see the same vehicle come up again later so obviously they didn't sell it in the first auction. They also don't disclose what the minimum bid has to be.