PDA

View Full Version : Something odd

Bfromla
12-01-2016, 12:13 AM
Ok fyi for some unknown reason my spyder has began to act lil odd.
despite weather changes here in N Louisiana it has been fairly normal & I've manage to ride daily errands(<30miles) but last 3-5 first cranks of the day have cranked fine then after getting in gear to back out of driveway the engine dies¿:dontknow: not stalls, no jerking or lunging, it just dies. Cranks right back up with no problems or extra throttle needed. Good on oil & gas, aside from adding seafoam to last few tanks to help clear a sticking fuel gauge not much else. My daily errands average 20-50miles in town i try to use interstate a few alternating days to clear the pipes otherwise the top speed is under 50 & lots of lights or trains delays. Battery is fine & have no standard indicators to question it. Kill switch functions fine too. I've changed my parking routine to park in N now was always in first, & still it did it again tonight. :gaah: .any hints or additional test I can try please share thanks

JKMSPYDER
12-01-2016, 06:50 AM
I had that happen on a previous '13 ST-S. It turned out to be a bad purge valve. Have your dealer check.

Chupaca
12-01-2016, 11:06 AM
If it happens only when going into reverse I would suspect the reverse switch. Your expanation seems to indicate a sudden loss of electrical power to the ignition system. Most fuel related engine cut off would bring on some slower and jerkier cut offs. I would start there...if it happens when you put it in any gear then you would have to dig deeper....:dontknow:

Bfromla
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks yall ill ask few dealers if i can bit busy today to get to my dealer 1&1/2hr away. & so far has only been reverse. The only gear i need it in to exit. But i will try 1st later. As i stated only happens on the first crank of the day. & i give it time to get fluids moving where they need to while getting everything situated & whatnot

Bfromla
12-10-2016, 03:04 AM
Ok so talked with my dealer tech, the one most familiar with my bike & how i treat it & without seeing the bike & testing himself he just advises me to give an extra min to warm up. :coffee: I have done that all this week & have not had any more problems:clap::yes:.
Maybe there was no real problem¿ I was not rushing, I felt but for the first crank of the day maybe the filter lost saturation or whatever that disrupted the flow, but now things seem to be fine & I'm just happy & will keep up with new routine. So far i use the time to fool with radio. I am debating on my next oil change service going to full synthetic instead of the blend. Fyi only at 31k miles so far. I have read good things about it but know some engines can get accustomed to one type & not like to change. :shocked: I got time to figure it out. Thanks again to all that replied hope this thread can help others later too:thumbup:

Gray Ghost
12-11-2016, 09:33 AM
...I have read good things about it but know some engines can get accustomed to one type & not like to change.

I have heard that, but never had any problems going from dino to synthetic. At times, based upon what oil was available in a small market I have had to go from synthetic back to dino. Never noticed any adverse effects from switching either way.

Bfromla
12-12-2016, 03:59 AM
I have heard that, but never had any problems going from dino to synthetic. At times, based upon what oil was available in a small market I have had to go from synthetic back to dino. Never noticed any adverse effects from switching either way.

Thanks for that I always wondered if it was more a "stay with us" sales pitch from old school sales tactic. My grandfather was particular about some brands for certain things. & a master machinist. Unfortunately also had alzheimer's so altho he knew his stuff, it left you guessing if you heard it right, do you dare question him or just test yourself.....? I wish I could have only learned more from him.