PDA

View Full Version : Snbow birds

MOSESS
11-30-2016, 02:23 PM
hello to you lucky guys and galls that where able to head south during the winter, My question for those from up north , I am looking for a state that offers me the best of both worlds, tax relief and weather. most of my friends have gone down to Fl, I have traveled through the south over the years but never considered moving there until this last year. So what's the down side of snow birding. thanks

Bob Denman
11-30-2016, 02:38 PM
We keep looking at North Carolina... :thumbup:

MOSESS
11-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Why NC when they have income tax and they get snow.....

JimVonBaden
11-30-2016, 04:39 PM
The only down side I can see is the same reason I will never move to FL. Too damn many old people!:roflblack:

Samson
11-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Bend Oregon, Prescott Valley Arizona. Both Great places.

MOSESS
11-30-2016, 04:56 PM
My wife and I want to be near the beach .AZ would be a little to far and it is nice out there. I hope to get old one day so I don't mind being around some of the nicest people that have so much to teach others.

ABQSpyder
11-30-2016, 05:34 PM
God I hate when the Pigeon's return or Locust as i call them.
I'd say look any where but Southern Arizona. :trike:

PapaHotel
11-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Well then there is always Texas. No Income tax, but higher property taxes. There is the gulf coast on the east side. It get hot, but along the coast there are the breezes that help.

MurrayBrown
11-30-2016, 05:58 PM
God I hate when the Pigeon's return or Locust as i call them. I'd say look any where but Southern Arizona. :trike:

I'm curious. Why not Arizona?

Bob Denman
11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Why NC when they have income tax and they get snow.....
You forget: I'm in New York... :banghead:
They get a whole lot less snow, than we get up here; without getting too hot in the Summers. :thumbup:
I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes; it's just the cost of living in the greatest Country in the World! nojoke

DJFaninTN
11-30-2016, 06:08 PM

Tombstone Sue
11-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Why not Az? Because we already got to many northerners that come down and then want to change things like it is back home.

PrairieSpyder
11-30-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm planning to eventually become a full-time RVer and am currently looking at the northern end of the Gulf of California for wintering. It's not really far into Mexico, has beaches and seems to be relatively inexpensive cost of living.

PMK
11-30-2016, 06:57 PM

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Portertown
11-30-2016, 06:59 PM
NC is becoming an area that is starting to draw retirees. Washington and New Bern are very popular locations. Both are located on rivers and only a little over an hour from Washington to the ocean and 45 minutes from New Bern to the ocean. Greenville, which is only 30 minutes from these two towns has an excellent regional hospital/medical school and East Carolina University.
Property taxes are very fair and the NC income tax rate has been lowered the last couple of years.

JKMSPYDER
11-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Come to the mountains of southwest NC. Wonderful climate year round. Very little snow, if any, in the winter. Low taxes and low cost of living. I ride all year. The mountain scenery is great and we have some of the best roads for Spyders and two wheelers in the country!

ABQSpyder
11-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Why not Az? Because we already got to many northerners that come down and then want to change things like it is back home.

Amen.
They swoop in act like they own the place the home Home.
This is my Home.
Had a little disagreement in local paper couple weeks ago
It was interesting. We have two pigeon parties a year . Yeah there leaving and Dam there back.

Sam Mac
11-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Just stay away from South West VA, I like the roads all to myself and if too many of you Yankees move in the prices will go up. :yes::yes:

Chupaca
11-30-2016, 09:00 PM
The locals come to hate you...residents that is...businesses love you. :roflblack: finding both is a bit harder than compromising on one...Love it here in San Diego but can't say much for the taxes and polotics...:banghead::banghead: I just love the weather and the ryding and the relaxed living.....so I have to pay a bit more:dontknow:

dlby
12-01-2016, 12:08 AM
Sheesh
Several attitudes here eh.

Lots of people came to central Indiana where im from.
Helped the economy etc. I never considered em outsiders.
All ethnic groups & wealth levels.

I always thought the Carolinas would be my choice but I have to say central Fla is great.
Car shows festivals music theater street fests.
And some great weather!
Either coast in about an hour 15. Lakes and rivers to boat for hours, boat is just outside the door in canal. Spyder in carport Much better roads and riding than I thought.
And if I pine for Smokies etc. Its just a day away.
People here are extremely friendly
Done here

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Bam Bam and Pebbles
12-01-2016, 01:01 AM
As a person from Buffalo NY, living in North Carolina, I can say that where I live near Winston-Salem, I am 2 hours from the mountains for skiing and 3 hours from the beach. Can't beat that!

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 07:52 AM
They call North Carolina the Half Back state. It is because the Northerners retire to Florida, find it too hot, too many old people, too much of a lot of things.

Instead of moving back North, they move half way back and stop in North Carolina. I like NC, pretty place, good weather, lowish cost of living. But that will change as it gets more popular.

rant/ Our country is aging, and old people have the money, for now. The elderly population will peak in another 20 years, then start a fast decline. I wont be around to see it, but things are going to get tough for the Millennials. Once the elderly die off and the numbers reduce, there will be a large shift in job types and needs for the next generation. I hope they like immigrants, because we are not training our kids to work with their hands! /rant

draboo
12-01-2016, 09:32 AM
We live full time in a motorhome. We winter in North Myrtle Beach,SC and summer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We like it here in SC so far. Only have been here since last September in NMBeach. One thing that is a bonus: You can drag almost anything to the transfer station and they will take it. No charge for dumping. I was dumbfounded! Oregon it cost around $20 for a level pickup load.

If you stay at a RV park for over 3 months, you will get charged some sort of "extended stay tax"..kind of like a property tax. We are extremely fortunate to be staying on a friends property and sort of oversee it while he works.

The weather here is great, except for Mathew, which we survived without evacuating.

Pirate looks at --
12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
D
The locals come to hate you...residents that is...businesses love you. :roflblack: finding both is a bit harder than compromising on one...Love it here in San Diego but can't say much for the taxes and polotics...:banghead::banghead: I just love the weather and the ryding and the relaxed living.....so I have to pay a bit more:dontknow:

Totally agree! Taxes are part of the ticket price here, but you have every type of climate imaginable in this state. Warm cold temperate ideal! Whatever you want. The only thing negative about Florida is, compared to California, the weather there is horrible!:roflblack:

Habib
12-01-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm a Washington native and that's what happened to us. People ruin their own states want something better then turn where they go into where they left. Sort of like illegal immigrants. :roflblack: :popcorn:

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm a Washington native and that's what happened to us. People ruin their own states want something better then turn where they go into where they left. Sort of like illegal immigrants. :roflblack: :popcorn:

:shocked: Try living only 100 miles North of New York City, and watching the influx of urbanites change your Town... :banghead:

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Like all the people who fled CA to move to NV! Las Vegas was ruined by this. They went to Vegas to get away from high taxes and restrictive business laws, then demand everything CA has! :banghead:

PrairieSpyder
12-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Like all the people who fled CA to move to NV! Las Vegas was ruined by this. They went to Vegas to get away from high taxes and restrictive business laws, then demand everything CA has! :banghead:

Not just Nevada, but Arizona and further states, too. I lived in western Montana one summer and it was full of California refugees who just drove up prices of real estate and taxes.

ARtraveler
12-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Guess I am going to be in a state that will soon to be losing its retirement "benefits."

Due to the oil industry decline, we lost half our Permanent Fund checks this year. We received $1,022 instead of the $2,044 we were supposed to. There are plans afoot to take it away all together. The Governor who did this will be gone at the end of his term...but once he has been duly blamed and punished, I don't see the state changing their ways about snarfing the entire fund for their personal use.

They are also proposing a state income tax to make up for additional funding. A local city councilman is proposing a 4% sales tax for the Municipality.

Pretty soon, all we will have is great scenery--and most can't live off of that. :sour:

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Oil prices are being set up, to start rising again... :shocked:

JimVonBaden
12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Guess I am going to be in a state that will soon to be losing its retirement "benefits."

Due to the oil industry decline, we lost half our Permanent Fund checks this year. We received $1,022 instead of the $2,044 we were supposed to. There are plans afoot to take it away all together. The Governor who did this will be gone at the end of his term...but once he has been duly blamed and punished, I don't see the state changing their ways about snarfing the entire fund for their personal use.

They are also proposing a state income tax to make up for additional funding. A local city councilman is proposing a 4% sales tax for the Municipality.

Pretty soon, all we will have is great scenery--and most can't live off of that. :sour:

Sadly, once it is gone, you will never see it again, and one taxes start, you will never see them removed. Your state government is going to become flush with cash when oil prices go back up.:banghead:

ARtraveler
12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Oil prices are being set up, to start rising again... :shocked:

Rising oil prices are good for the Permanent Fund. I am still thinking that the Governors snarf and grab act was just the beginning though. A couple lawmakers took the issue to court, and guess what? The court said the Gov. was in his rights to do the act. End result, they got half our check this year. :thumbup:

Habib
12-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Rising oil prices are good for the Permanent Fund. I am still thinking that the Governors snarf and grab act was just the beginning though. A couple lawmakers took the issue to court, and guess what? They said the Gov. was in his rights to do the act. End result, they got half our check this year. :thumbup:

If there is a source of funds a politician will get it and find something to spend it on. That's way all the swamps need drained.:thumbup:

Jheck
12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Well..... just so you know, we got that same problem here in New York! But it the dam city people that move out here to the boonies, and the next thing you know they are at the town meetings wanting to bring in the same dam things they moved away from. So I get where your coming from. Last summer I was at a gas station, this guy getting gas says to me, Oh its so nice up here we are from Long Island is there any land for sale around here? My reply _ Nope we sold it all!

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 06:24 PM
There's some real pretty riding; up around Sherburne! :thumbup:

Jheck
12-01-2016, 06:48 PM
There's some real pretty riding; up around Sherburne! :thumbup: yes there is. Sherburne, McDonough, Chenango County in general. But you know I've never been to Grahamsville. Maybe this summer we can correct that.

tmcquain
12-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Shhhhh....Just keep this between you and me.....Tennessee is the perfect place....little snow....great climate.....NO state income taxes....where I live very low cost housing....low crime rate....and some of the most beautiful roads in the country to Spyder Ryde on !

But don't tell anyone else...OK ?:shocked:

Deanna777
12-01-2016, 08:33 PM
:shocked: Try living only 100 miles North of New York City, and watching the influx of urbanites change your Town... :banghead:Bob, I also get the influx of urbanites in my town. I get the over flow from your town. They keep moving north. :yikes::gaah: Deanna

dlby
12-01-2016, 09:19 PM
I am a native Indian-- my Grand Father and My Father & now me--
You want to puff smoke about **** and who was here 1st?
That is Ignorance.
The past is the past.

Agape Love is more needed in this thread, i believe.

I choose to try to walk in that love.
But I can be angry & sin not about some comments

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!