PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with these two rear tyres?

Peteoz
11-28-2016, 03:20 AM
I have posted this on the Aussie Spyder site, but thought I'd post here as well, just in case, as I am struggling to get tyres in the right size out here.

Hi Boys and Girls,

Well, I've decided to give the rear tyre change a go ( from Kendas). The local tyre guy is struggling to find reasonable 225/50 tyres (no Generals, no Yokohama etc out here) so I'll go to the 215/60.....there are two that appear to be available in Oz that get excellent ratings on the global review sites, but I have not really seen them mentioned. They are -

Dunlop SP Sport LM 704
Maxxis MA-P1

Has anyone tried either of these? I don't mind paying extra for tyres that grip and need to be changed more frequently.........within reason, of course.

Pete

Sorry, I know tyre threads keep popping up, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel ( so to speak :cheeky:)

trikermutha
11-28-2016, 07:57 AM
we cant get maxis over in our next of the woods..Been wanting to try them since they had the size for the Spyder

jcthorne
11-28-2016, 09:37 AM
I have posted this on the Aussie Spyder site, but thought I'd post here as well, just in case, as I am struggling to get tyres in the right size out here.

Hi Boys and Girls,

Well, I've decided to give the rear tyre change a go ( from Kendas). The local tyre guy is struggling to find reasonable 225/50 tyres (no Generals, no Yokohama etc out here) so I'll go to the 215/60.....there are two that appear to be available in Oz that get excellent ratings on the global review sites, but I have not really seen them mentioned. They are -

Dunlop SP Sport LM 704
Maxxis MA-P1

Has anyone tried either of these? I don't mind paying extra for tyres that grip and need to be changed more frequently.........within reason, of course.

Pete

Sorry, I know tyre threads keep popping up, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel ( so to speak :cheeky:)

The correct Yokohama S-Drive replacement is a 205/55 - 15. Its nearly an exact size match. They are available in Australia.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Pete two of our large on-line Tire sellers don't list That Dunlop as available for sale !!!! ............ The Maxxis might be able to be special ordered from Discount Tire Direct ......... I can't speak for either tire ........... However as far as Dunlop's go, none of the test reports I have read, have impressed me...... These were done for tire sizes Spyders could use .....Mike :thumbup:

4 MARIE
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
my last rear tire was a Maxxis. It was just "okay" longevity wise, but it IS carrying a load. It handled pretty well, but not the
toughest tire in the rack. A teeny weeny staple took mine down, shortly after "new".
although I do not recommend it, I fixed it and it has been okay since. Pretty sure I bought on e-bay. Maxxis is kind of known for their ATV tires, and originally as low cost m/c tires

Peteoz
11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
The correct Yokohama S-Drive replacement is a 205/55 - 15. Its nearly an exact size match. They are available in Australia.

Bugger, bugger, bugger ;) . I obviously missed that Yoko size completely while searching through the threads. I'll call this morning and see if they can get their hands on that size.

thanks JC.

Peteoz
11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
I have read soooooooo much about tyres, but still don't really understand how to tell "actual" width. I'd like to give the tyre guy a couple of options to check on when I call about the Yokohama this morning, and there is a Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in 205/55 15 showing as available in Oz. Am I correct in assuming that this could be a completely different "actual" width from the Yokohama S and may not fit the F3 rear?

jcthorne
11-28-2016, 04:21 PM
I have read soooooooo much about tyres, but still don't really understand how to tell "actual" width. I'd like to give the tyre guy a couple of options to check on when I call about the Yokohama this morning, and there is a Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in 205/55 15 showing as available in Oz. Am I correct in assuming that this could be a completely different "actual" width from the Yokohama S and may not fit the F3 rear?

You
have to look at the tire manufacture specs for each tire to get the actual dimensions for each size. They vary quite a bit from brand to brand and even between lines in a single brand.

Tire Rack and a few other large retailers have published information on many. Some tire manufacturers make the information available on their web site. But you can count on them NOT being the same as the nominal size.

dlby
11-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Get the yokahama s drive as mentioned above

Dont sweat 1/8 of an inch one way or another
Get the s drive & get a grip!!

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

dlby
11-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Our s drive is Ausie um

Peteoz
11-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Get the yokahama s drive as mentioned above

Dont sweat 1/8 of an inch one way or another
Get the s drive & get a grip!!

I am more than happy to put the s drive on, dlby, but the two shops I use out here are having trouble finding one. That's why I'm asking about other options......and I DO have to worry about width as there is only a minimal crearance between the tyre and belt guard (even though it can be unglued and removed, I'd rather leave it in place if possible.) ;) .

I'm about to give it up and stay with the Kenda as I am just going round in circles :dontknow:

amelectricdavid
11-28-2016, 09:26 PM

Hi Boys and Girls,

Dunlop SP Sport LM 704
Maxxis MA-P1

Pete

140727[/ATTACH[ATTACH]140728140728 works grt for me so far

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Peter Aawen
11-28-2016, 09:41 PM
If it really gets all too hard for your local blokes Pete, gimme a yell & I'll see if I can arrange to get a tyre for you down here (or maybe out of Sydney or Melbourne) & then have it freighted direct to you for local fitting - it might end up costing a little bit more in the long run due to the once-off fitting costs & the cost of freighting direct, but then it is also likely to be a bit cheaper to buy the tyre in the first place from a larger outlet in one of the big cities.... so what you might lose on the round-about you should be able to pick back up on the hurdy-girdie!! :thumbup:

No biggy really, but it's probably worth a shot if your only other option is to go with another Kenda!! ;)

amelectricdavid
11-28-2016, 09:47 PM
Does amazon or tirerack deliver there

amelectricdavid
11-28-2016, 09:53 PM
That sucks...u r so much closer to where all tire stuff comes from....i got mine tirerack.com...90.00 delivered to my door..6000miles away

Peteoz
11-29-2016, 12:22 AM
That sucks...u r so much closer to where all tire stuff comes from....i got mine tirerack.com...90.00 delivered to my door..6000miles away

thanks David......shipping costs from the US using anyone, for something as large and heavy as a tyre, would probably be about $300 based on past experience !

Pete

amelectricdavid
11-29-2016, 12:43 AM
Do u have tirerack.com

Peteoz
11-29-2016, 01:17 AM

The tyre guys just got off the phone to Yokohama Australia who told them that they do not bring the S drive 205/55 15 into Australia, JC......so unfortunately that option is out. :gaah:

Peteoz
11-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Do u have tirerack.com

Yes, but they are very restricted in the brands they are allowed to ship here. There's only a couple of brands they can ship. No Yokohama for example.....the same as Shoei and Arai helmets can't be shipped here.

amelectricdavid
11-29-2016, 01:31 AM
They have in amazon ive been told

dlby
11-30-2016, 12:01 AM
I bought mine from amazon.com
No problem

Peteoz
11-30-2016, 12:47 AM
I bought mine from amazon.com
No problem

Yeah, dlby, but you are in America.....it's getting them across the Pacific that really costs;)

amelectricdavid
11-30-2016, 01:05 AM
They r mostly asian tires...maybe get closer to u....maybe korea...id hate to b in ur spot...first year harley tire size hard to get...220.00 dallars

Peteoz
11-30-2016, 01:20 AM
Thanks to your help and help from Aussie SpyderRyders, I have managed to find a couple of rear tyre options that are actually stocked out here (and there aren't that many once you contact the advertisers) that are proven and working on Spyders on the horrible, hot Aussie roads.

There's the Kuhmo HS51 (replaces KH17), the Bridgestone Turanza and the Kuhmo KU22.

The first 2 are 225/60 and the Kuhmo KU22 is a 205/55, which makes it the same rolling diameter as the stock Kenda, but a tad narrower, thus ensuring the aftermarket stone guard will not contact it, which was my (probably unfounded) concern given how close it is to the Kenda currently. It's going gangbusters for those who have it, with good wet and dry grip, pretty good mileage and pretty quiet. I have ordered one in and will give it a run providing I don't completely screw the rear end and have my axle fall out or leave the tyre at 45degrees when I remove and replace the wheel. :shocked: The local tyre guys can static balance (or something similar) the new style rear wheels, so that's good news.:ohyea:

I have learnt a great deal about tyres from many of you during this exercise, for which I am extremely grateful, and I sincerely appreciate the significant time and effort put in especially by Mike (Blueknight):bowdown:, Peter Aawen :bowdown:and JC.:thumbup:

I am thinking of changing my forum name to AspectRollingDiameter as that is imprinted in my brain now.:gaah:

Thanks again,
Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-30-2016, 02:52 AM
:gaah: :clap: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: ......glad you have this sorted out ...... Mike :thumbup: