PDA

View Full Version : Changing Handlebars

Njspeedmaster
11-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2009 GS with the 1" riser block. I was wondering if anyone has changed to different handlebars as the angle of the bars is uncomfortable on long rides. I know the cover would not work with aftermarket bars, but would this even be feasible? Thanks.

PistonBlown
11-28-2016, 01:58 AM
Hi all,
I have a 2009 GS with the 1" riser block. I was wondering if anyone has changed to different handlebars as the angle of the bars is uncomfortable on long rides. I know the cover would not work with aftermarket bars, but would this even be feasible? Thanks.

I can remember seeing a picture posted a while ago of a GS with ape hangers so it's definitely possible to swap them.

I did play around with the idea of putting ace bars on mine for a lower, more forward position (clip-ons where obviously out of the question as no forks:-)). From memory under the cover there's a conventional bar clamp - though possibly a 3 bolt design in the middle rather than 2 separate clamps, can't remember now. The only problem is it all looks pig ugly with the cover removed, however a bit of ingenuity would probably hide that up.

Motorcycledave
11-28-2016, 01:58 AM
I can send you pictures
my bars are 5 inches higher and back
4.5 inches for an upright position
feel free to call me 209-887-3283
I still have mine and ride most every day
Dave

Hi all,

Bob Denman
11-28-2016, 12:54 PM
I can remember seeing a picture posted a while ago of a GS with ape hangers so it's definitely possible to swap them..
:D You have only to ask...

asp125
11-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Helibar risers http://www.hotspyderaccessories.com/can-am-spyder-rs-handlebar-riser-2008-2012/ worked fine for us. No cutting of the stock bar required. Brought it back 4in and up 1in. The stock cables had enough length to work without replacement. All I had to do was cut some cable ties to allow for extra slack.

If you combine that with the stock riser block, it'll bring it back further, but cable length might be an issue then. This method allows me to return the Spyder to stock if the next owner desired.

Scooooter
04-24-2022, 10:08 AM
I know this is an old thread but I am working on making a 2010 RS my own. I'm curious what you guys used for mounting the bars, what you did for the key and so on. If you can post some pics that would be cool, but I also understand this is a 6 yr old thread...