PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak Won't Accept Spyders on Auto-Train!

solidgranite
11-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I want to visit friends and family in NH next summer, and drop in to Laconia for Bike Week. My dilemma is this: I'm in NC, and I don't want to ride my Spyder RT for 12 hours just to get to NH...especially up the Jersey Pike, over the GW Bridge, and through Hartford. Too much traffic, and too many insane drivers. ;) Yes, I could re-route the trip to avoid those places, but then it would be 15-18 hours of riding to get to NH. :yikes:

I checked the Amtrak Auto-Train, and they have a notice that says Can Am's will no longer be carried due to the configuration of their train cars. So that's out.

I can't afford to buy a trailer, so that's probably out, too.

I could have it "shipped" up there by Haul Bikes, but their schedule wouldn't necessarily match mine. The beauty of the Amtrak deal was that it would arrive when I did, but since they've "banned" Can Am's, they're out. :banghead:

Are there any alternatives I haven't listed? Anybody got any ideas or experience with a situation like this?

jtoro1
11-25-2016, 03:11 PM
I want to visit friends and family in NH next summer, and drop in to Laconia for Bike Week. My dilemma is this: I'm in NC, and I don't want to ride my Spyder RT for 12 hours just to get to NH...especially up the Jersey Pike, over the GW Bridge, and through Hartford. Too much traffic, and too many insane drivers. ;) Yes, I could re-route the trip to avoid those places, but then it would be 15-18 hours of riding to get to NH. :yikes:

I checked the Amtrak Auto-Train, and they have a notice that says Can Am's will no longer be carried due to the configuration of their train cars. So that's out.

I could have it "shipped" up there by Haul Bikes, but their schedule wouldn't necessarily match mine. The beauty of the Amtrak deal was that it would arrive when I did, but since they've "banned" Can Am's, they're out. :banghead:

Are there any alternatives I haven't listed? Anybody got any ideas or experience with a situation like this?

I have taken the auto train many times but it is from sandfort fl to lorton va but I do pay like a car not a motorcycle I do not think it goes farther north

JimVonBaden
11-25-2016, 03:22 PM
I have taken the auto train many times but it is from sandfort fl to lorton va but I do pay like a car not a motorcycle I do not think it goes farther north
Correct, it stops in Lorton, VA.

bscrive
11-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Could you rent an open bed trailer from someplace like an equipment rental store?? They sometimes have them to transport their larger items like augers and such.

I know the UHaul trailer with the ramp won't work, too narrow.

Anyone around that you could borrow one?

solidgranite
11-25-2016, 03:32 PM

You're right...and even if it did go further north, they won't carry a Can Am. :mad:

solidgranite
11-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Could you rent an open bed trailer from someplace like a equipment rental store?? I know the UHaul with the ramp won't work, too narrow.

I'm going to look into that. Plus, I have a few friends with huge Harley baggers, and one of them might have a trailer I could borrow. I'd rather trailer the Spyder up because I'd be in my pick-up, and not as worried about the "crazies" out there! Thanks for the suggestion!

Bob Denman
11-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Why not just "Bite the bullet", and plan an extra day on either end, for the ride? :thumbup:

Buckeye Bleau
11-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Www.uship.com.

Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2016, 05:09 PM

:gaah:... I find this interesting and confusing !!! ..... I think the Spyder is smaller than a Smart Car and if you are willing to pay the rate for a Car - WHAT'S THE PROBLEM ?????? ....... I'm sure they aren't loading them with Fork-lifts !!! .... They must be using Ramps ..... cars have a minimum ground clearance also !!!! .... Did they bother to tell you WHY ????? ......... Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
11-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Take Garden State Pkwy and Tapanzee Bridge. If that's still too much traffic go north through PA to NY. The route planning can be fun. Good luck!

lewisalice
11-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I live in NYC the driving not that bad

SPYD3R
11-25-2016, 08:42 PM
ROUTE 81 north to Scranton, PA, 84 east to Hartford, 90 to Boston, 95 to NH....
a very nice ride... i've done it a bunch of times.... NJ Turnpike is INSANE, that's why i choose to ride 81....
isn't that what you bought your SPYD3R for....?
Dan P
SPYD3R

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-25-2016, 11:04 PM
From what I see on Amtrak website Autotrain is out for your trip even without the Spyder ban. Auto train only runs between Lortan, VA and Sanford, FL.

pegasus1300
11-25-2016, 11:20 PM
You don't have to buy a new trailer. I paid $400.00 used. for mine. It is a tilting bed snowmobile trailer,works great. You may not have those where you are but there will be something and you have several months to look. You will find something in your price range. My wife doesn't like long trips on the Spyder or freeways so when we went to San Diego last March we hauled the Spyder down on the trailer. I have used it now for 6 years.

JimVonBaden
11-26-2016, 12:11 AM
ROUTE 81 north to Scranton, PA, 84 east to Hartford, 90 to Boston, 95 to NH....
a very nice ride... i've done it a bunch of times.... NJ Turnpike is INSANE, that's why i choose to ride 81....
isn't that what you bought your SPYD3R for....?
Dan P
SPYD3R
You think the turnpike is insane compared to 81?:yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2016, 12:53 AM
:gaah:... I find this interesting and confusing !!! ..... I think the Spyder is smaller than a Smart Car and if you are willing to pay the rate for a Car - WHAT'S THE PROBLEM ?????? ....... I'm sure they aren't loading them with Fork-lifts !!! .... They must be using Ramps ..... cars have a minimum ground clearance also !!!! .... Did they bother to tell you WHY ????? ......... Mike :thumbup:
I think this video has the answer. The cars are loaded onto the trains via single track ramps, one for each wheel track. Since there is none in the center Spyders, Slingshots, and Rewaco trikes cannot be loaded the same as cars. Motorcycles are loaded onto trailers and then put onto the rail cars. Look at the m/c loading trailers in this video at the 5:07 mark and you'll see there are three wheel chocks in the front of each trailer. Two wheelers are loaded side by side and conventional trikes have the front tire locked into the center chock. The Amtrak website says they're working with the transportation equipment supplier to come up with a configuration that will accommodate reverse trikes.

https://youtu.be/BCkUnz3GxO8?t=307

In this video at the 1:12 mark you can see m/c's on a trailer being loaded on the rail car.

https://youtu.be/ni7mCAMfSQ4

As you can see, it's not a size problem nor a clearance problem. It's a center wheel problem that their equipment hasn't be designed to accommodate.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2016, 01:07 AM
Thanks - that answers that question :gaah::gaah::gaah:...... Hope they solve the issue ........... Mike :thumbup:

Empty Pockets
11-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Give Budget rental a call a 12 foot box van will work just need to have ramps and you will have to back in to keep the front tires of the Spyder behind of the vans wheel wells

Trbayth
11-26-2016, 09:10 AM
You think the turnpike is insane compared to 81?:yikes:

I-95 is insane no matter how many wheels you're on.

When I need to go to Dulles, VA and decide to ride, I usually take I-78 to I-81 at Harrisburg then hop on US 15 south to Leesburg. I generally use the same route even in a car. Much less stressful and no tolls.

Firefly
11-26-2016, 09:28 AM
I'd never pass up the opportunity to ride my Spyder for 12 hours..... the journey is often better than the destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highwayman2013
11-26-2016, 09:53 AM
I live in NYC the driving not that bad

But you live there.

Highwayman2013
11-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Lots of good roads that don't take you through NJ or New York City.

JimVonBaden
11-26-2016, 11:15 AM
I-95 is insane no matter how many wheels you're on.

When I need to go to Dulles, VA and decide to ride, I usually take I-78 to I-81 at Harrisburg then hop on US 15 south to Leesburg. I generally use the same route even in a car. Much less stressful and no tolls.
There really are no good north south routes on the east coast, but the sheer number of trucks on I81 keeps me off of it if at all possible.

ingramwc
11-26-2016, 12:33 PM
But Jim, VDOT says there is only 10-15% truck traffic on I81!!!!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack: Non-VDOT study says the percentage is more between 50-60%!!!!!!!!!!!!!nojoke

Bob Denman
11-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I'd never pass up the opportunity to ride my Spyder for 12 hours..... the journey is often better than the destination.

:agree:

JimVonBaden
11-26-2016, 04:05 PM
But Jim, VDOT says there is only 10-15% truck traffic on I81!!!!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack: Non-VDOT study says the percentage is more between 50-60%!!!!!!!!!!!!!nojoke
I tend to think VDOT has their head up their VASS!

Highwayman2013
11-26-2016, 05:23 PM
There really are no good north south routes on the east coast, but the sheer number of trucks on I81 keeps me off of it if at all possible.

There are many good n/s routes but they don't involve interstates. Look for US routes. You can get pretty far on the Blue Ridge Parkway from NC to Northern VA.

Bob Denman
11-26-2016, 05:59 PM
I think that 11 runs North/South: just to the West of 81... :thumbup:

JimVonBaden
11-26-2016, 09:31 PM
There are many good n/s routes but they don't involve interstates. Look for US routes. You can get pretty far on the Blue Ridge Parkway from NC to Northern VA.

OK, routes that don't take 2-3 times as long. You can always find back roads to take to avoid the interstates. But that wasn't what I was referring to.

A little irony considering your screen name! :-)

Trbayth
11-27-2016, 10:37 AM
I think that 11 runs North/South: just to the West of 81... :thumbup:

It looks like US 11 starts in Binghamtom NY, joins with US 15 in Northumberland, then splits at Harrisburg, continuing on to Hagerstown and quite a ways further South.

I may check out US 11 as a replacement for I 81 next trip.

Bob Denman
11-27-2016, 12:20 PM
We have friends, who swear by it... :thumbup:

solidgranite
11-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Why not just "Bite the bullet", and plan an extra day on either end, for the ride? :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind adding an extra day or two, but I simply want to avoid certain roadways...like the Jersey Pike, and going through NYC and Hartford. ;)

solidgranite
11-28-2016, 10:25 AM

They really don't give a good reason, but said it has to do with the "configuration of the train car.

solidgranite
11-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the journey is important, but I want to live through the journey, and taking the Jersey Pike lessens the chances of that outcome dramatically. I've driven from NC to NH many, many times is cars and trucks, but never on a bike. I want to avoid the insanity I've seen, and live to enjoy my visit in NH. :yikes:

Bob Denman
11-28-2016, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't mind adding an extra day or two, but I simply want to avoid certain roadways...like the Jersey Pike, and going through NYC and Hartford. ;)
Avoiding all of that mayhem is easily possible; you just need to stay a bit to the West... :thumbup: