PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Symbols 2012 RT?

Tomline
11-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Yesterday on the way home after a great ride a got a warning light on the dashboard. I don't have my owners with me, on vacation and forgot to put back in the bike where it belongs. The symbol looks like an oil can or water can. Can somebody tell me what this symbol is and what I would see if it was a water/temp issue? I know the water temp shows on the left side of the dash. I think I saw someplace on here that the oil level is something that should be checked quite often, possibly before each ride? Is this overkill or something that is common on these Spyders? Thanks

youngers
11-25-2016, 09:33 AM
if I remember right the oil can symbol would be oil low , and some how the next warning would be the limp home < ----- I do not know of this one personally ... I haven`t had any warnings , on my 2012 as lights , { well take that back , did get brake light deal , low levels I think haven`t had it since , and I do get the back trunk and side compartment open lights nothing else ! } maybe you are about 8 ounces low in the oil tank... give that a good look first ...

billybovine
11-25-2016, 10:10 AM
From your description it sounds like the low oil pressure light is on. Spyders do not have a low oil level light.
So first check your oil level. If the oil is 1.5 to 2 quarts low. The suction line can start sucking air causing the light to come on. Top up the oil level.
Once the oil level is correct. If the light still comes on. It could be a bad oil pressure sensor which is not too serious. But it could low oil pressure for real and continued operation that way will cause severe engine damage.

d.o.spyder-rts
11-25-2016, 12:43 PM
According to my 2016 Roadster Operators Guide "Messages in Multifunction Guage," the lamp your are describing states the cause as low oil pressure. Under what to do, it states to check for oil leaks and check oil level and adjust. This does come from the 2016 owners manual but I'm guessing that the symbol is most likely the same for the 2012 also. Hope this helps. Dale