PDA

View Full Version : Battery life???

Pat Clark
11-25-2016, 06:45 AM
How much battery life is normal on an RT? I just replaced the battery on mine in Jan. or Feb. Gets ridden almost every day. Have probably put 15 to 16k on it since. Now the battery is feeling is so weak that I had to put a charger on it yesterday. Had just ridden the day before for at least an hour. Current battery was installed by the dealer. Any stronger battery recommendations?
2013 RT Limited with 36k on it. I bought it used with 15k.
BTW, the only extra lights I have are extra led tail lights.
Thanks,
Pat

GearHd
11-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Are you using a factory battery? Cheap batteries are a "get what ya paid for" kinda thing.

Pat Clark
11-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Are you using a factory battery? Cheap batteries are a "get what ya paid for" kinda thing.

Yep, dealer installed factory battery. Doc says to make them check it out since it's less than a year old. He told me even a stock battery should last at last at least 3 years.
We'll see.
Pat

Highwayman2013
11-25-2016, 08:05 AM
The 998 engine does not have a super strong charging system. Most here keep them on a maintainer when not riding. I use the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Also check and make sure your connections are clean and tight, test that the charging system is working, the battery is in good condition with a load test and you are running the engine in the 5000 rpm range. Just changed my original on our 2012 RT for no reason (peace of mind?) and it still load tested well.

Bob Denman
11-25-2016, 08:14 AM
The OEM Yuasa is actually a pretty darn good battery. You should easily get three or more years out of one; depending on how the bike is ridden; of course!

Gray Ghost
11-25-2016, 11:14 AM
If the bike is mechanically sound, the biggest killer of batteries is failure to properly activate one. When you purchased the battery, did they pull it off a shelf and get you on your way quickly? Did the dealer check your bike to ensure that it was charging before installing the new battery?

Pat Clark
11-25-2016, 12:11 PM
If the bike is mechanically sound, the biggest killer of batteries is failure to properly activate one. When you purchased the battery, did they pull it off a shelf and get you on your way quickly? Did the dealer check your bike to ensure that it was charging before installing the new battery?

Truth is I don't know. I had the bike in for repair of something else when I had it replaced.

Larry rt
11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
I have a 2013rtl, over 50,ooo miles, only on tender during winter months, when not riding. No issues. I run, gps, phone and ipod, plus led bump skid no issues.

ARtraveler
11-25-2016, 03:58 PM
I am still running the original battery in our 2011 (Purchased new in 2012). 23K miles. Battery tender put on each winter season. The battery is going to get changed out next riding season. I have pushed my luck, but am not going to extend it. When the battery does decide to croak, it always does it at the most inconvenient time and place--as in Murphy's Law.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2016, 06:37 PM
:agree::agree::agree: & :agree: ..... I have a friend who has batteries last for 10 + years .... He has always bought NEW ... and filled them himself ..... and did the initial charge .... As Mr. Ghost said it's all about properly activating the battery ............ Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-25-2016, 06:42 PM
:agree::agree::agree: & :agree: ..... I have a friend who has batteries last for 10 + years .... He has always bought NEW ... and filled them himself ..... and did the initial charge .... As Mr. Ghost said it's all about properly activating the battery ............ Mike :thumbup:

Doesn't that involve putting it on a "Trickle-charger/Battery-Maintainer" overnight? :dontknow:

Lew L
11-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Or "battery maintainer" all of the off season ( if you have one). Letting a battery go to a low voltage will cause it to sulfate ---- the death of your battery. Most here use a Deltran maintainer but I'm sure other brands may work just as well.
Kaos

Gray Ghost
11-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Doesn't that involve putting it on a "Trickle-charger/Battery-Maintainer" overnight? :dontknow:

The battery always comes with instructions for activating. You need to have a charger that will supply the correct amperage. I have a Genius 3500 that works well for that.

ussoldier
12-18-2016, 11:10 PM
I was using a battery tender for my battery, and I have not started it up for a few weeks. I bought this bike as of December 1, 2016. My curiosity is that when I removed the battery tender to do some modifications on my bike. I noticed the connector that is connected to the battery had a green light. About 10 minutes later, I noticed the connector on the bike was red. As I placed my battery tender it had a low voltage. Is this normal during winter seasons? The temperature during the day is at 55 degrees at night normally average at 37 degrees at night. Do I need to replace a new battery?

cmar157
12-27-2016, 03:39 PM
How would check to see if there is a load on the battery when the bike is off? I replaced my battery and want to make sure I don't have a short or open circuit.

Mr. White
12-27-2016, 07:06 PM
As I have said before, I change my batteries every three years, regardless of their "life". I ride in remote west Texas sometimes, with no cell service, etc. Don't need a battery problem. When I finish preparing the battery, I charge it for 24 hours as directed but also if "off the shelf from a dealer" as they are usually around 80% charged......I use a maintainer plugged in most of the time. Works for me.

:spyder2:

Gray Ghost
12-27-2016, 10:15 PM
How would check to see if there is a load on the battery when the bike is off? I replaced my battery and want to make sure I don't have a short or open circuit.

You would need a DC ammeter to do that and wait until everything has totally shut down before measuring.