PDA

View Full Version : Completely locked out of the Frunk

JayJay
11-24-2016, 10:30 AM
I own a 2013 RT limited. Up until recently I have had no problems with either the electric or key latch release options for opening the Frunk. Now simultaneously both options don't work. Long story short I have no other option but to break-in to the Frunk to effect a permanent fix. Preferably without damaging the locking mechanism or the Frunk in general. I would appreciate any guidance I can get. A PM would be preferable in order to avoid making instructions public on how to open Frunks without a key. Sincere thanks in advance for all guidance and advice...John J.

Malki27
11-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Is it over loaded? Did you try pushing down on the lid while trying to release it

trikermutha
11-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Not to worry its all over the internet already..

Here is a previous post.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81370-Trunk-Locked-Will-not-release-Help!&highlight=open+locked+frunk

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?98397-Locked-key-in-Frunk-2011-RT&highlight=locked+frunk

If that don't work there is another way..

Chupaca
11-24-2016, 11:06 AM
If both fail at the same time you have pressure on the locking mechanism. Pressing down on the latch point should help. Otherwise the cable may have failed and you can follow steps mentioned above...:gaah:

JayJay
11-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Is it over loaded? Did you try pushing down on the lid while trying to release it

Fortunately the Frunk is completely empty. My son and I also pushed down on the lid while trying to release it with the key and the solenoid switch. In addition we did the preceding with the ignition switch off and engine off, ignition switch on and engine off and even ignition switch on and engine running. No luck with any and all configurations...Regards..John J.

trikermutha
11-24-2016, 11:15 AM
then go to #2 in my post. You have to remove the inner black panel under the hood. It can be done. Once you get that out use a screwdriver (long) you can release the latch manually

Heres another

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?80967-Frunk-open-latch-stuck-in-closed-position&highlight=open+locked+frunk

Bob Denman
11-24-2016, 12:01 PM
:agree: :thumbup:

cuznjohn
11-24-2016, 12:06 PM
there should be a emergency release on the bike. it would be a good idea

Highwayman2013
11-24-2016, 12:25 PM
I own a 2013 RT limited. Up until recently I have had no problems with either the electric or key latch release options for opening the Frunk. Now simultaneously both options don't work. Long story short I have no other option but to break-in to the Frunk to effect a permanent fix. Preferably without damaging the locking mechanism or the Frunk in general. I would appreciate any guidance I can get. A PM would be preferable in order to avoid making instructions public on how to open Frunks without a key. Sincere thanks in advance for all guidance and advice...John J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUE_LRTeTE

SpyderAnn01
11-24-2016, 12:31 PM
When you break in using any of the above methods I'll bet that you find that the rubber gasket is out of place. They can easily come out of the track when you pull stuff out of the trunk. Always make sure to check that it is back in place before you close the lid. Good luck.

JayJay
11-24-2016, 01:50 PM
then go to #2 in my post. You have to remove the inner black panel under the hood. It can be done. Once you get that out use a screwdriver (long) you can release the latch manually

Heres another

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?80967-Frunk-open-latch-stuck-in-closed-position&highlight=open+locked+frunk

Trikemutha thank you for the videos. They are a great help!

I am following the #2 procedure as you recommend. I managed to liberate the portion of the inner black panel on the left (port) side of the bike closest to the windshield but I can't seem to loosen the forward portion in order to remove the entire panel. With it as it is I can see the release cable but nothing resembling a latch release tab that I can push with a dowel. Does the inner panel have to be removed completely in order to see and reach the manual latch release tab? And if so, are there any tricks to the procedure?...Regards, John J.

trikermutha
11-24-2016, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=JayJay;1204127]Trikemutha thank you for the videos. They are a great help!

I am following the #2 procedure as you recommend. I managed to liberate the portion of the inner black panel on the left (port) side of the bike closest to the windshield but I can't seem to loosen the forward portion in order to remove the entire panel. With it as it is I can see the release cable but nothing resembling a latch release tab that I can push with a dowel. Does the inner panel have to be removed completely in order to see and reach the manual latch release tab? And if so, are there any tricks to the procedure?...Regards, John J.[/QUO

Left side you mean left handle bar side correct? Was the push pull pin removed?? Its under the hood left side of the bike. Takes patience and time..But you can do it.

This Video by Finess Bob should help too.may save time than having to pull the inner cover off.

JayJay
11-24-2016, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=JayJay;1204127]Trikemutha thank you for the videos. They are a great help!

I am following the #2 procedure as you recommend. I managed to liberate the portion of the inner black panel on the left (port) side of the bike closest to the windshield but I can't seem to loosen the forward portion in order to remove the entire panel. With it as it is I can see the release cable but nothing resembling a latch release tab that I can push with a dowel. Does the inner panel have to be removed completely in order to see and reach the manual latch release tab? And if so, are there any tricks to the procedure?...Regards, John J.[/QUO

Left side you mean left handle bar side correct? Was the push pull pin removed?? Its under the hood left side of the bike. Takes patience and time..But you can do it.

This Video by Finess Bob should help too.may save time than having to pull the inner cover off.

Success at last. Removed the left side panel push pull pin and removed the panel. Used the dowel to release the latch as instructed. Now the fun begins making sure that the key and electric release work flawlessly before closing the lid again. Hopefully the key release just needs a little lubrication as there is currently some resistance at the key end. On the other hand the rubber friction boot covering the solenoid shaft is no longer attached to the shaft head and therefore does not move when the shaft does. No movement, no release. For peace of mind I think I am going to install a concealed emergency release.

Thank you for all your help!

trikermutha
11-24-2016, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1204175]

Success at last. Removed the left side panel push pull pin and removed the panel. Used the dowel to release the latch as instructed. Now the fun begins making sure that the key and electric release work flawlessly before closing the lid again. Hopefully the key release just needs a little lubrication as there is currently some resistance at the key end. On the other hand the rubber friction boot covering the solenoid shaft is no longer attached to the shaft head and therefore does not move when the shaft does. No movement, no release. For peace of mind I think I am going to install a concealed emergency release.

You should see the cable move at the latch when turning the key

Glad to hear you got it opened

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-24-2016, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=trikermutha;1204175]

If you want any pointers on how to make this cable thingy PM me .... I have made a bunch of them for other people .......Mike :thumbup:

AbNormy
11-25-2016, 03:11 PM
mine wasnt stuck but i got it back from a service in SA where they checked my valve clearances replaced my vc gaskets and wrapped my headpipes for a great deal stopped at teh grocery store thanksgiving eve and put too much junk in the trunk and closed it. opened fine but now i wont' latch. cant see where its outof line it does release if you push the little lever tells it it's closed and latched but latch itself wont latch. any suggestions on things to look for when they don't latch? my mouldings in place lid looks aligned but latch just doesnt catch.

Bob Denman
11-25-2016, 03:49 PM
The gasket around the lip probably isn't quite where it needs to be.
Lay your hands on it, and make SURE that it's firmly seated: all the way around! :thumbup:

trikermutha
11-25-2016, 05:15 PM
have you tried to unlock the latch first then push the hood down into the latch? or something is misadjusted..did it start doing this after your trip to the dealer?