PDA

View Full Version : F3 idler on RT?

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 10:13 AM
I have been looking at the F3 idler and wondered if I can do a retrofit on my 2010 RT. I know Doc has a kit that will allow mounting for a 2014-2016 RT but he says due to a different belt design it will only fir the later year RT's.

So has anyone been able to retrofit this onto an earlier year RT? Hoping to get rid of these nasty vibrations since I've installed the ISCI floorboards. I can really feel the vibrations since there is no isolators using these boards.

SpyderAnn01
11-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Doc Humphreys has made one and is selling it.

Highwayman2013
11-23-2016, 10:26 AM
They are testing it right now. The concern is some of the belts on the older RT's are not smooth on the outside so there may be some noise.

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Doc Humphreys has made one and is selling it.

I had emailed him and he said they were working on one for the older models but it's not available yet.

Bob Denman
11-23-2016, 10:44 AM
:D I was just coming back in here from his site; to let you know that he's advertising his for the 1330 RTs right now...
But you beat me to it! :thumbup:

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
They are testing it right now. The concern is some of the belts on the older RT's are not smooth on the outside so there may be some noise.

Mine is ribbed on the outside. Are the newer belts smooth? My guess is, if there's any noise it would be some sort of whine against a ribbed belt using a smooth pulley. But other than that, is there any other concerns?

Are the frames the same where the pulley would bolt to on the earlier vs. later models?

Chupaca
11-23-2016, 10:54 AM
We have an amazing group of people here and they come up with solutions for all things spyder. There are tensioners out there for the older models but if you hold your horses you will get whats in the making soon enough...:thumbup: Having riden bikes that would vibrate your fillings out, I have never found the vibrations on these bikes to be so bad as they seem to be to others..I have a tensioner and have played with the belt adjustment and have found you will always have some vibrations and all you can do is move them to a different speed or RPM...jmo:banghead:

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 11:05 AM
We have an amazing group of people here and they come up with solutions for all things spyder. There are tensioners out there for the older models but if you hold your horses you will get whats in the making soon enough...:thumbup: Having riden bikes that would vibrate your fillings out, I have never found the vibrations on these bikes to be so bad as they seem to be to others..I have a tensioner and have played with the belt adjustment and have found you will always have some vibrations and all you can do is move them to a different speed or RPM...jmo:banghead:

I will agree with your statement about basically it just moves to a different sped or RPM. But If I can move my vibration that I get from 55-65 mph i'll be good. That's mainly the speed i'm at. I'm just a casual cruiser, no speed demon. I just couldn't justify the high cost of the other 2 tensioners out there. Now that there's a more economical product i Would love to have one to fix the current issue.

Ex-Rocket
11-23-2016, 11:23 AM
I think I heard that Lamont has one in the works right now and it sounds like it will be affordable.

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 11:23 AM
I think I heard that Lamont has one in the works right now and it sounds like it will be affordable.

Yep, it's just not available yet.

Bob Denman
11-23-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm waiting to see what he comes up with also... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

jroberts650
11-23-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm waiting to see what he comes up with also... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I think I'm going to try the kit Doc has and use the BRP idler on my RT. Just to see what kind of luck I have. I watched his video and the mounting will be the same on the 2010, the only difference will be the ribbed belt vs. the smooth belt. I will report my finding and expirence doing this install.