PDA

View Full Version : PANEL BETWEEN BACKREST AND TRUNK

tmcquain
11-19-2016, 06:28 PM
HELP - There is a panel that runs between the hinges of the trunk. It has two 20 torx screws in it that you have to loosen before removing the three torx screws to remove the passenger back rest. I was trying to put in a switch for a trunk light, and buggered it up a little. I went on the parts website to see how much a replacement would be and I can not find that part listed or shown in any of the diagrams. Any ideas what that part would be called can anyone in Spyderland find me a part number ?

I sure would appreciate any and all help.

Bob Denman
11-19-2016, 07:02 PM
:shocked: How buggered-up is it? It's not in a critical place; could you just cover up the mistake with a patch-panel?

tmcquain
11-20-2016, 01:42 PM
:shocked: How buggered-up is it? It's not in a critical place; could you just cover up the mistake with a patch-panel?

I can, or a couple of pieces of black tape would cover the imperfection. I just wanted to see how much the piece was, and now that I can't find the part, I'm about to drive myself nuts trying. You never want anything more than the thing you can't have..right ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-20-2016, 03:02 PM
I can, or a couple of pieces of black tape would cover the imperfection. I just wanted to see how much the piece was, and now that I can't find the part, I'm about to drive myself nuts trying. You never want anything more than the thing you can't have..right ?
Can take a pic of the part so we know exactly what you want ........ I can't think of any parts that aren't for sale !! ...sometimes you must buy parts that are connected to it ( ie. windshield arm ) but that is not the norm .... Mike :thumbup:

tmcquain
11-20-2016, 03:39 PM

This is the piece I am talking about...I do not see it anywhere in the parts list....

DGoebel
11-20-2016, 03:41 PM
How about just slipping a washer like trim piece around that switch that overlaps the imperfections?

JayBros
11-20-2016, 05:05 PM
I tried to find that piece and its part number for you and couldn't locate it either. What about e-mailing your dealer's parts dept?

tmcquain
11-20-2016, 05:09 PM
How about just slipping a washer like trim piece around that switch that overlaps the imperfections?

I can do that...it's just the fact that I can't find the part at this point....I'm like a dog with a bone....it's got to be there somewhere...right ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-20-2016, 05:12 PM

This is the piece I am talking about...I do not see it anywhere in the parts list....
Tim if you are referring to the large flat piece ???? ..... that's part of the passenger backrest assembly ...the PAD part attaches to the larger plastic part ( most of which you can't see ) ..... this is to the best of my recollection .....I checked a Parts Fiche' and it shows the " Pass. backrest assembly " but only from the front ......... By the way - what's wrong with the one I'm looking at ???????.......Mike :thumbup:..................After reading the above comments - you would have to re-place the entire Passenger Backrest :barf:about $170.00 ............. Since you can't see it !!!!! ....imho that money would buy a LOT of GAS .......Mike :thumbup:

HayRog
11-20-2016, 05:21 PM
:thumbup: -- thin plastic washer.

tmcquain
11-20-2016, 05:32 PM
I can fix it, with a small washer or some tape or something, I just wanted to see if the piece wasn't that expensive I might replace it and to a better job on it next time. But I COULN'T FIND IT and my OCD kicked in I guess...Mike if you think it's part of the backrest, then yeah, I won't be replacing it.

Thanks for everyone's help on this....maybe now I can sleep tonight....

Bob Denman
11-20-2016, 05:49 PM
:shocked: You mentioned OCD... :shocked:
And mine went into overdrive!

Thin washers will cure it! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-20-2016, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=tmcquain;1202918]I can fix it, with a small washer or some tape or something, I just wanted to see if the piece wasn't that expensive I might replace it and to a better job on it next time. But I COULN'T FIND IT and my OCD kicked in I guess...Mike if you think it's part of the backrest, then yeah, I won't be replacing it.

Thanks for everyone's help on this....maybe now I can sleep tonight........................................... ................................................ .......... Dear Tim, because I was using a parts Fiche', and although I've had that backrest off 10 or more times, I've never thought about it in regards to your problem !!! ... So I took mine OFF ..... well the backrest assembly isn't ONE PIECE :lecturef_smilie: ..... That Flat piece is separate and attached by FOUR hidden Plastic POP rivets ( removable ) .... So now if you really want to go further - on your Spyder - loosen the two screws on top and remove - three T30 bolts on the flat part and take the entire back rest OFF ..... you can either take this to your dealer and ask THEM if they can get that piece ( that sticks out ) or un-due the pop rivets and get the part number imbedded in the plastic ......... Mike :thumbup: ........Continued on Post # 15 :yes:

JayBros
11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Now there's a guy who's dug deep into the problem!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-20-2016, 09:12 PM
OK the Patriots game is over ( they won :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:) so I took the backrest apart ....annnnnnnnnnnnnnd ..the part # is [PP] ( in an a box ) 70800 ...... I'll check a parts fiche' and see if available ............... Mike ............................:banghead::banghead:.. .........well just because it has a part #, doesn't mean you can buy it :banghead: ......... I couldn't find it as a separate part ...... Mike

lou49
11-20-2016, 10:47 PM
For what whatb i read you will like to bring that part of your bike to its original state! But, in my opinion, once you addad that switch is no longer original! why not take it to a local body shop and see if they will fix the imperfection for you? just an idea! good luck!

woodyaa
11-21-2016, 12:56 AM
OK the Patriots game is over ( they won :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:) so I took the backrest apart ....annnnnnnnnnnnnnd ..the part # is [PP] ( in an a box ) 70800 ...... I'll check a parts fiche' and see if available ............... Mike ............................:banghead::banghead:.. .........well just because it has a part #, doesn't mean you can buy it :banghead: ......... I couldn't find it as a separate part ...... Mike

Hats off to BLUENIGHT911 for going above and beyond to try and solve this problem [emoji1319]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OverHillAndDale
11-21-2016, 08:48 AM
It this it?

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/53f5467bf870021dbc21b802/luggages

Part 708300514 (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/p/can_am/708300514/latch-protector), $10.00.

Devious56
11-21-2016, 09:06 AM
It this it?

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/53f5467bf870021dbc21b802/luggages

Part 708300514 (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/p/can_am/708300514/latch-protector), $10.00.

Isn't that for the left hand saddle bag?

tmcquain
11-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Hats off to BLUENIGHT911 for going above and beyond to try and solve this problem [emoji1319]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank Mike, and to everyone else. I changed out my seat to the ultimate a while back, I didn't remember that it was plastic riveted to the backrest pad. It's just a separate part now with the ultimate seat.

Sorry for all the confusion, but thanks for all that helped.....

Tim