PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights?

BillN
11-19-2016, 04:25 PM
One of the things I have learned over my years of riding is the importance of being seen.
So you can never have too many lights!
attached is a photo of the 2010 RT we just purchased.
It has the upper lights but not the lower set where I circled in red.
Are these available as an after market accessory?
Thanks...

NM Wrench
11-19-2016, 04:28 PM
BRP sells the fog light set. Includes everything you need.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

JimVonBaden
11-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Check out how I did my wife's ST-S for $40. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?99172-New-Mods-for-my-wife-s-2013-ST-S

ARtraveler
11-19-2016, 05:53 PM
:welcome: Figure about $800 for the BRP versions.

Peteoz
11-19-2016, 06:46 PM
The wiring and connector is already there for the US models. Have a look at site sponsors. On the home page. There are a couple of them sell plug and play LED fog light kits.

DJFaninTN
11-19-2016, 06:57 PM
we have an RT Limited that has the fog lights. they are kind of useless in my opinion. most of the time I don't even bother turning them on. if you really want to be seen I'd suggest getting one of SpyderPops lighted bumpskids. you WILL be noticed then and you'll get the protection of the bumpskid as well.

he is a site sponsor here on the home page.

Bob Denman
11-19-2016, 07:05 PM
I'll respectfully disagree...
I've got them, and I never turn them off. nojoke
In my humble opinion: too many lights; are just enough! :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
11-19-2016, 07:58 PM
There's sad news about having all those lights down low, Bob!!

According to a whole bunch of research by people like the RAF (investigating why pilots just don't see some things, especially when they are pretty close) & many Road Traffic/Accident Authorities around the world (also investigating why some pilots/drivers just don't see some things, especially when they are pretty close) while having many bright lights fitted may help you be seen while you are a long way off, once you get within about 50yds or so, extra lights that are mounted below about 3 feet off the ground (saay, below waist height or 'normal headlight height') are pretty much useless no matter how bright unless they are otherwise distinctive, ie, flashing, red & blue, etc..... And if I read it all rightly, it seems car drivers were far worse at overlooking the low lights than just about any other group tested, possibly because they tend not to look much lower than the window line once things get close?!?

So it appears that bumpskid lights and fog lights are basically equally as useless in helping you be seen by that driver who invariably pulls out in front of you once you are so close that it's gonna be hard to avoid being creamed; or the fella who changes lanes right into you; or the wally who's texting & only glancing up at the road every now & then!! The extra lights that are lower than your Hi-beam headlights just aren't going to be helping you to be seen by those people, especially once you (or they) are close enough to be at major risk from them hitting you!! Which means it all comes back on you to avoid them, and the need to ryde as tho every other road user out there really is out to get you!! :shocked:

At least with extra lights down low you'll know the alert drivers saw you coming waaaay off!! :sour: :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-19-2016, 08:16 PM
I'll respectfully disagree...
I've got them, and I never turn them off. nojoke
In my humble opinion: too many lights; are just enough! :thumbup:

Yup, I am a light person also. Yours looks just like mine--except for the yellow color on mine.

JimVonBaden
11-19-2016, 09:03 PM
There's sad news about having all those lights down low, Bob!!

According to a whole bunch of research by people like the RAF (investigating why pilots just don't see some things, especially when they are pretty close) & many Road Traffic/Accident Authorities around the world (also investigating why some pilots/drivers just don't see some things, especially when they are pretty close) while having many bright lights fitted may help you be seen while you are a long way off, once you get within about 50yds or so, extra lights that are mounted below about 3 feet off the ground (saay, below waist height or 'normal headlight height') are pretty much useless no matter how bright unless they are otherwise distinctive, ie, flashing, red & blue, etc..... And if I read it all rightly, it seems car drivers were far worse at overlooking the low lights than just about any other group tested, possibly because they tend not to look much lower than the window line once things get close?!?

So it appears that bumpskid lights and fog lights are basically equally as useless in helping you be seen by that driver who invariably pulls out in front of you once you are so close that it's gonna be hard to avoid being creamed; or the fella who changes lanes right into you; or the wally who's texting & only glancing up at the road every now & then!! The extra lights that are lower than your Hi-beam headlights just aren't going to be helping you to be seen by those people, especially once you (or they) are close enough to be at major risk from them hitting you!! Which means it all comes back on you to avoid them, and the need to ryde as tho every other road user out there really is out to get you!! :shocked:

At least with extra lights down low you'll know the alert drivers saw you coming waaaay off!! :sour: :thumbup:
Other studies say differently. All I know is that my daily commute in the DC traffic, widely known as some of the worst, the triangle of light makes a significant difference. Not just way off, but in stop and go traffic as well. No passive measures are foolproof, ask any fire truck driver, but like conspicuity gear in bright yellow, it does help.

This is my bike, my friend's bike and my wife's ST:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/Accessories%20Wethead/1007161501a_resized.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/Accessories%20Wethead/1007161501_resized.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/Accessories%20Wethead/1007161501b_resized.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S/Electrical/Lights%2039.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S/Electrical/Lights%2028.jpg

BillN
11-19-2016, 09:17 PM
I agree that lights do get noticed.
I also know for certain that having louder pipes on my Ultra Limited has prevented cars,
and deer, from pulling out in front of me.
Any improvement in notice-ability is a plus.

But for now I'll settle for lights :)

I really like the look of the stock fog lights...but don't care for the cost :)

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-19-2016, 09:38 PM
:welcome: Figure about $800 for the BRP versions.
And they aren't even LEDs for that price! :banghead: At least they haven't been in the past.

JimVonBaden
11-19-2016, 09:53 PM
And they aren't even LEDs for that price! :banghead: At least they haven't been in the past.
Likely the same as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112206372827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Halogen. Not worth the effort if you can get LED.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Likelythesameasthese:http://www.ebay.com/itm/112206372827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Halogen. Not worth the effort if you can get LED.
RT and ST fog lights are altogether different configuration. LED bulbs can be fitted into the RT fog lights for about a hundred bucks. That makes buying the BRP fog light kit a real expensive add on. The base RT model does not have the OEM fog lights. There is just a black plastic filler there. The wiring connectors are there, but not the lights nor switch.

JimVonBaden
11-20-2016, 12:00 AM
RT and ST fog lights are altogether different configuration. LED bulbs can be fitted into the RT fog lights for about a hundred bucks. That makes buying the BRP fog light kit a real expensive add on. The base RT model does not have the OEM fog lights. There is just a black plastic filler there. The wiring connectors are there, but not the lights nor switch.
Of course they are not exactly the same, but the same concept.

None the less, that is why I added my own, for about 10% of the cost, and LED and likely more effective.

Bob Denman
11-20-2016, 08:53 AM
I've switched my headlights and foglights over to LEDs at SpyderFest this year.
(Courtesy of TricLED...)

They made a very noticeable difference! :2thumbs:

SpyderConvert
11-20-2016, 08:57 AM
In the early eighties, I read of a study that was done in the mid-west; the researchers were trying to determine the effectiveness of headlight modulators. In their study, they asked 300 motorists (cars) to pull up to a stop sign and NOT turn their heads left or right for any reason. Motorcycles equipped with headlight modulators would approach the intersection from either the left or right; each of the motorists looked in the direction of the motorcycle with the modulator EVERY time. After reading that report, every motorcycle that I have owned had a modulator installed. It does make people notice you and has saved my bacon quite a few times from motorists looking to pull out in front of me. They are DOT legal in all 50 states but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one for my Spyder. If one ever becomes available, I WILL install it.

Just did a search of Kisan's website, they are available for the 2008-2010 GS models.

Chupaca
11-20-2016, 10:59 AM
You can get the kits from BRP cheaper if you search a bit on the many sites like cheapcycleparts.com. You have many other options on down to doing it yourself. I used the fog light spots for some turbo fans but found another place for some driving and fog lights...:thumbup:

140393 did have to wire in some switches....140394