PDA

View Full Version : The Mike and Peter show do it again

Peteoz
11-18-2016, 07:43 PM
After considerable deliberation, I moved to the Kuhmo Solus KH17 - 175/60 R15s on the front. This was partly because of the weight I put on the F3 at 310 (solo).... (I will move to a Kumho or similar rear before long), and partly due to persuasive arguments on handling/safety etc from the above reprobates:thumbup:. Not that I ride on the edge, but I need all the help and safety I can get when cornering.:shocked:

I made both the fender modifications mentioned re squatter bolt heads and pushing the internal frame out (meaning wider) through washers, but there was plenty of clearance anyway, from what I can see.

It certainly works for me.:clap:It feels far more attached to the road when cornering now. I took a few corners at a speed which felt right on the edge of the Kendas (but I bet it wasn't) previously, and it felt rock solid. On the way back, I took those corners 10mph faster and it still felt rock solid.

i am currently running the Kumhos at 23.5 (not for any special reason.....that's what was in them when I picked them up). I figured with the extra weight I'm putting on the F3 that would be a fair starting point.

Thanks for all your assistance, Mike and Peter. :thumbup:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-18-2016, 07:58 PM
After considerable deliberation, I moved to the Kuhmo Solus KH17 - 175/60 R15s on the front. This was partly because of the weight I put on the F3 at 310 (solo).... (I will move to a Kumho or similar rear before long), and partly due to persuasive arguments on handling/safety etc from the above reprobates:thumbup:. Not that I ride on the edge, but I need all the help and safety I can get when cornering.:shocked:

I made both the fender modifications mentioned re squatter bolt heads and pushing the internal frame out (meaning wider) through washers, but there was plenty of clearance anyway, from what I can see.

It certainly works for me.:clap:It feels far more attached to the road when cornering now. I took a few corners at a speed which felt right on the edge of the Kendas (but I bet it wasn't) previously, and it felt rock solid. On the way back, I took those corners 10mph faster and it still felt rock solid.

i am currently running the Kumhos at 23.5 (not for any special reason.....that's what was in them when I picked them up). I figured with the extra weight I'm putting on the F3 that would be a fair starting point.

Thanks for all your assistance, Mike and Peter. :thumbup:

Pete
Pete I'm very glad I could be of assistance, I promise that Kumho will work even better at 21 psi, remember the car it was made for weighed 3500 lbs ( at least )................ And Reprobate :gaah:= unprincipled - corrupt - totally bad - depraved !!!!!! ............ I can't believe you really feel this way about Peter and Me - - Do you ???? :coffee:........Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
11-18-2016, 08:31 PM
.....which felt right on the edge of the Kendas (but I bet it wasn't)....

Sorry, but I reckon you woulda lost that bet!!

When it comes to Kenda tires, if you felt it was near the edge, then it probably was pretty close to right on the edge!! Kenda's tend to be very sudden in letting go, they (sorta) work until they just don't anymore, & then you have a skid or slide that might not be all that easy to recover from - it's a good thing & probably one of the reasons the Spyder's Nanny is so protective!! So if you get far enough into it that you get that 'on the edge' feeling, TRUST YOURSELF!! They ARE on the edge & pushing it too much further/harder could be veeeerrrry uncomfortable (at best)!! :yikes:

Thanks for the kind words tho - sharing info, experiences, & knowledge in a helpful manner is what Forums are meant to be about, so I'm glad you found some of what we put out there helpful. :thumbup:

Mike's comment re the slightly lower psi is almost certainly on the button too, unless maybe you've been running ambient temps in the high 30's (we use Deg C in Aus, so HOT!) in which case no more than a couple of pounds extra will help reduce transferred heat build up from the road & environment. Plus, you really aren't likely to be all that much heavier than most of us running 2-up & loaded; so while a couple of pounds of extra pressure probably won't make a massive difference in the short term on reasonable & dry roads, leave it in there for too long & it could well set off that 'centre tread wear' pattern that will then be hard to counter once it's started; & beside, the extra pound or two will almost certainly give your tires a bit less tolerance for grip on damp or wet roads, and it will also mean your tires have less puncture tolerance on roads with less than Major Highway surfaces, or if you encounter sharp gravel or other road debris.... And having ridden on the roads out your way in the past, I gotta say, do you really want to risk it?!? :shocked:

Peteoz
11-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Pete I'm very glad I could be of assistance, I promise that Kumho will work even better at 21 psi, remember the car it was made for weighed 3500 lbs ( at least )................ And Reprobate :gaah:= unprincipled - corrupt - totally bad - depraved !!!!!! ............ I can't believe you really feel this way about Peter and Me - - Do you ???? :coffee:........Mike :thumbup:

Hahaha.....in Australia, it's a compliment to be called a reprobate, Mike.....we are all (well, many of us), descended from convicts, you know. :D:D :cheers:

Peteoz
11-18-2016, 09:31 PM
OK.....21 psi for the next ride. I'll see if my not so great senses detect any difference. Thanks :thumbup::D

Just for interest, I had the FOBO display on my iPhone, and both tyres peaked at 25.7 (from 23.5 cold) on a two hour ride at around 80-90 (25c-30c) degrees, which I know is under the 4psi "ideal".

I also noticed that it handled the potholes a lot more comfortably, and transferred far less shock to the bars. I won't say our potholes are bad, but I swear I looked down as I crossed one and saw someone holding abseiling classes:yikes:

Pete

Peter Aawen
11-18-2016, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the decimal points in your tire pressures - the TPMS sensors just aren't that accurate & besides there's enough variation in your ongoing ryding that it's pointless (haha!) worrying about changes that small!! So just round up or down as you feel fit, the whole figures are what really counts & over time, it's the 'regularly checking & maintenance' bit that really makes the difference, even if it's only once a week or each time you ryde (if you don't ryde weekly) :thumbup:

As for that pot-hole you saw, I wouldn't be surprised - one local here sued the Council for loss of income when they REPAIRED the road past his place!! He was making a packet selling access to the 'Climbing Wall' & running Bungee Jumping on the side!! (or is that 'off' the side?!) :shocked:

Av8er
11-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Will these tires fit a 14 RTL? I was looking at the 155-60/15 solus kh16 but then I saw your post. The last thing I want to do is buy a set only to have them not fit.

Peter Aawen
11-19-2016, 09:26 AM
They should fit your RT OK Av8er, just so long as you've got the 'new style' fenders with the rib on the outside.

So far, IIRC they've fitted every post-2013 Spyder that they've been tried on, altho it seems at least a few (me included) have felt the need to swap the protruding hex head fixing screws inside the wheel arch for flatter dome head screws that don't protrude, & some fewer have felt the need to add spacing washers between the brackets & the fenders just to move the fender a tiny touch further away from the tire.

Your choice, altho you obviously don't have to go as big as 175/60R15's if you are going to be happier with something a little smaller, or for the Kumho's in any tread compound or pattern. But for me, going to that size in a reputable Passenger car type tire has brought ONLY benefits over running the OE sized Kenda's, & I'm stoked with the Kumho KH17's & the way they are working for me! :thumbup:

(I believe the KH17's are a direct replacement for the older KH16's, which didn't have quite the same silica content that's in the KH17's & improved their long wearing wet road traction.)

Av8er
11-19-2016, 10:00 AM
They should fit your RT OK Av8er, just so long as you've got the 'new style' fenders with the rib on the outside.

So far, IIRC they've fitted every post-2013 Spyder that they've been tried on, altho it seems at least a few (me included) have felt the need to swap the protruding hex head fixing screws inside the wheel arch for flatter dome head screws that don't protrude, & some fewer have felt the need to add spacing washers between the brackets & the fenders just to move the fender a tiny touch further away from the tire.

Your choice, altho you obviously don't have to go as big as 175/60R15's if you are going to be happier with something a little smaller, or for the Kumho's in any tread compound or pattern. But for me, going to that size in a reputable Passenger car type tire has brought ONLY benefits over running the OE sized Kenda's, & I'm stoked with the Kumho KH17's & the way they are working for me! :thumbup:

(I believe the KH17's are a direct replacement for the older KH16's, which didn't have quite the same silica content that's in the KH17's & improved their long wearing wet road traction.)

Thanks for for the reply. Looks like the KH17 isn't available in the US. Looks like I will order the KH16.

Peteoz
11-25-2016, 08:25 PM
I HATE people who are smarter than I am.......probably because it happens so frequently:roflblack:

So, I headed out for a ride this morning with the Kuhmos at 21psi, as recommended by some gruff American bugger ;), and some Aussie know-it-all:bowdown:. Guess what........THEY WERE RIGHT. :thumbup:

The Kuhmos were a good improvement over the Kendas for me at 24psi. Well, they were better again for me at 21psi. You literally glide over minor potholes, tar snakes and ridges in corners, where the Kendas would twitch and try to take you in a different direction. They feel much more planted on freeways near trucks, especially in conjunction with Ron's stabiliser bar.:clap:

Looks like I'll have to do the rear tyre as soon as I have gathered all the info and am sure I can complete it without having the axle fall out 10 miles down the road :yikes:....I just HATE being overtaken by my rear wheel, regardless of which vehicle I am in at the time :lecturef_smilie:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-25-2016, 09:31 PM
I HATE people who are smarter than I am.......probably because it happens so frequently:roflblack:

So, I headed out for a ride this morning with the Kuhmos at 21psi, as recommended by some gruff American bugger ;), and some Aussie know-it-all:bowdown:. Guess what........THEY WERE RIGHT. :thumbup:

The Kuhmos were a good improvement over the Kendas for me at 24psi. Well, they were better again for me at 21psi. You literally glide over minor potholes, tar snakes and ridges in corners, where the Kendas would twitch and try to take you in a different direction. They feel much more planted on freeways near trucks, especially in conjunction with Ron's stabiliser bar.:clap:

Looks like I'll have to do the rear tyre as soon as I have gathered all the info and am sure I can complete it without having the axle fall out 10 miles down the road :yikes:....I just HATE being overtaken by my rear wheel, regardless of which vehicle I am in at the time :lecturef_smilie:

Pete......Pete glad you are finding happiness :thumbup:, it's elusive :lecturef_smilie:...... just for S*its & giggles try 18 psi in the front ..... I swear they won't fall off ....... and there are quite a few vids on how to do the rear ......and try 20-21 psi (with a car tire ) there .........your friend Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
11-25-2016, 09:37 PM
I put the Federal Formoza on the front of my 14 RT and I absolutely love them. I ran the Federal Evo before and I got great mileage out of them but I didn't remember the handling being anything special. The Formoza's are special!