PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks ... worth it?

OverHillAndDale
11-17-2016, 01:56 PM
As some of you know, I installed the Baja Ron swaybar on my 2014 a while back, and to me the improvements were marginal. Perhaps I wasn't observant enough of the "before" to appreciate the "after".

I've noticed that many of you are replacing your front shocks, and others are inserting spacers in the springs to stiffen them up. so:

Is this more of the swaybar effect? Flatter cornering?
Elka makes shocks that range from $500 to $1700. Where is the price/performance breakpoint?
Are Elkas better than the competitors?

Bob Denman
11-17-2016, 02:16 PM
I had Elkas on my 2010 RT, and they are a GREAT shock! :thumbup:
But my 2014 didn't need nearly as much improvement, so I just added Ron's pre-load adjusters.

Chupaca
11-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Unless one is loaded many of these changes can get costly....seats....shocks etc. I added the BajaRon swaybar and found it to be very effective. This may be because of the way I ryde. I then added the relocators for the shocks (RS 2012) and they were equally effective. I finally added the Fox podium shocks (only cause a good deal came my way) and found them to be marginal. Most of these changes are only if you feel you need them and not so much to see if they make a difference. Many only get the swaybar and are happy....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-17-2016, 02:37 PM
I have yet to replace a shock on any :f_spider::ani29::spyder2:. So far my mileage record is 36,500 on the 2010 RTS.

beast68
11-17-2016, 03:36 PM
The shocks are not the problem the springs are. I,m a big guy 290lbs. I add ed Ron's sway bar and shock adjusters and it made a big difference. Before buying new shocks put on the adjusters and try it. If you don't like them resell them here somebody will buy them. I think the shock adjusters made the biggest difference. Why is it all the other spyders have adjustable shocks except the rt. The only thing I have left to do to my front is a laser alignment and better front tires. I had also tried a set of Doc's Nuts they worked OK but are not as adjustable as Ron's but are cheaper.

Bob Denman
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM
The new bikes have front suspensions that don't like ride-height adjustments. It can lead to unwanted alignment changes! :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
11-17-2016, 06:23 PM
I had Elkas on my 2010 RT, and they are a GREAT shock! :thumbup:
But my 2014 didn't need nearly as much improvement, so I just added Ron's pre-load adjusters.

Me too on my 2015 and they worked great.

Cruzr Joe

tmcquain
11-17-2016, 06:30 PM
So, if I put the shock adjusters on, does that mean I have to get it laser aligned again ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-17-2016, 07:34 PM
The sway bar does something different than the shock/spring thing. As someone said if your are at or near the Max weight for the Spyder the stock Springs are not up to the job. The OEM shocks are probably OK..... A firmer Spring is the best option.... If you get something that compresses the OEM spring or eliminates one or more coils, it will feel stiffer ( and harsher ) and you will also LOSE Spring travel...... and this is what soaks up the bumps .... That's why on a Harley Hard Tail they added springs to the SEAT ( like on a bicycle )........M :thumbup:

TicketBait
11-17-2016, 11:16 PM
As some of you know, I installed the Baja Ron swaybar on my 2014 a while back, and to me the improvements were marginal. Perhaps I wasn't observant enough of the "before" to appreciate the "after".

I've noticed that many of you are replacing your front shocks, and others are inserting spacers in the springs to stiffen them up. so:

Elka makes shocks that range from $500 to $1700. Where is the price/performance breakpoint?

Says you are located in the United States, so stop by my house tomorrow and you can take her up in the twisties with my "Works performance shocks" $850 approx and realize their is no effort on your part for navigating the terrain.

My 2010 Rts has the stock sway bar. Before the shock up grade I was worm out on a canyon cruise, and just chocked it up to having a touring bike vs a GS/RS. After the shock up grade I could not only keep up with them I was not fatigued at all. Even experienced a better ride after I had the bike aligned by Squaredaway:thumbup:

Some people have mentioned weight, also tire pressure is relevant as well . my front is set between 15-16 ½ as well

my weight is approx 225lbs

So your last question is are Elkas better than the competitors?, and my response is , they are an improvement but not better than what I put on.

The reasons are my WPS (works performance shocks) are made the same way BRPS are,except mine have a separate oil tube(what ever it's called), )that is major important)( experts will tell you here) second they are in the same position as the stock shocks where as the Elkas are set upside down. Why does this matter, cuz road dirt gets on the shaft. Most people don't have the shields installed where mine don't need them.

Also Also the Elkas raise your bike up where the headlights will be out of adjustment and cars will flash you all the time;) My WPS don't change your bikes height from stock.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/SpyderDooLittlemixture029-1.jpg

HayRog
11-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I didn't realize that WORKS made shocks for the Spyder. Good to know. Are they ATV shocks?
I've used their shocks on previous bikes and liked them.

TicketBait
11-18-2016, 12:19 PM
I didn't realize that WORKS made shocks for the Spyder. Good to know. Are they ATV shocks?

They were designed specific for the RT, took a tour of the factory in Chatsworth CA. Met the engineers who designed the shocks. Normally takes approx 2-3 weeks to make. They have to have all the various components in stock. Told them I was going to Spyderfest in 2011, and they put together a pair for me in 2 days.

Also found out they designed and made shocks for the Disneyland monorail, space shuttle and something else I forgot the name of. So they know their shocks.

These 2 threads convinced me http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23933-Works-Performance-Shocks-on-Order-!

and this one with pictureshttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24394-Works-Performance-Shocks-Installed!

tehrlich
11-18-2016, 10:21 PM

I replaced my stock shocks on my 2015 RT limited after about 2500 miles. Bought the Fox shocks from BRP's website. After a few weeks I replaced the antisway bar. They both had a big effect on the over all handling, but I felt the biggest improvement with the stiffer shocks and better rebound.

KX5062
11-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Unless things have changed, they don't produce shocks for the newer models. I called them before ordering my Elka's and asked about it. They told me they have no plans to produce anything for the newer model Spyders at this time because of low sales volume. They will continue to support the older models only.

For me, I bought a Baja Ron bar for my 2014 RT and thought the improvement was marginal at best and most likely a waste of money. (I can't say the same for the older Spyders for which the bar made a huge difference.) However, the Elka upgrade was huge. It's not all about spring rates. It's about dampening and rebound rates as well. Springs play a role, but only part of it. The internal valving is vastly different and improved in the Elka design.

I called PitBull and asked their technical opinions about the differences between the Elka and the Fox, which are currently the only two options. I was told hands down the Elka was better and well worth the money. Upon their recommendation and my research I ordered the Elka's and haven't regretted it.

Honestly, if you're a straight line highway type, the factory stuff is good enough. However, when the road gets twisty, that's when you'll notice the difference. ;)

Bob Denman
11-19-2016, 07:00 PM
So, if I put the shock adjusters on, does that mean I have to get it laser aligned again ?

It actually depends on how much you "twist things up"...
I only added 1/4" to my ride height, and it made so little difference, that it wouldn't have been worth it to re-align the front end.
(I wanted just a little bit of height in order to compensate for the Bumpshid...)