PDA

View Full Version : Problem

retread
11-15-2016, 08:00 PM
I took my RT out today to fill it up and add Stabil, getting ready for less or no ryding for a while. Got about 8 miles out, get a check engine, E in the gear indicator, flashing icons on the IP, pulled over, everything went away, started out again, no problems. Went home, checked oil, over full, gray, no foam, because the ignition had been off, no error codes, any ideas?

Thanks,
john

ARtraveler
11-15-2016, 08:09 PM
I took my RT out today to fill it up and add Stabil, getting ready for less or no ryding for a while. Got about 8 miles out, get a check engine, E in the gear indicator, flashing icons on the IP, pulled over, everything went away, started out again, no problems. Went home, checked oil, over full, gray, no foam, because the ignition had been off, no error codes, any ideas?

Thanks,
john

I have had that happen a couple times when filling up. I think it is caused by the computer getting ticked off if you try to rush things a bit. It is the computers way of letting you know just who is in charge. And yes--it seems to go back to normal. Hope this is your situation. :yes::yes:

oldguyinTX
11-15-2016, 08:09 PM
A similar thing happened to us a few years ago on a long Sunday ride, turned out to be the gear positioning sensor. PITA, 80 miles from home, long tow. But, it got fixed pretty quickly :roflblack::roflblack:- if there is such a thing - had it towed home & then to the dealer the following Tuesday. Got it back the next Tuesday. Fast, huh?

Peter Aawen
11-15-2016, 11:08 PM
That 'over full, gray, no foam' thing you described on checking your oil certainly makes this sound as if it is of just a little more concern that it would be if it was simply the 'over-stimulated ECU' thing that seemingly often occurs after filling up!! :shocked:

Grey oil usually implies you've got water or coolant, condensate, or similar, etc into your oil somehow & is potentially a major issue!! But when you add any of those to oil, enough to make it change colour, you also usually get foaming of the oil somewhere too?? Are you sure there was (& still is) no foam in your oil anywhere?? Maybe on the under-side of the oil filler cap, or white flecks that look like used yoghurt stuck anywhere? On the end or sides of the dip stick? Under the cap, possibly just floating in the oil reservoir? Anywhere?? Shin a light into the reservoir & use a mirror to look in if you need to, but check - carefully!!

Even if you don't find any white yoghurt type stuff in your oil elsewhere, if it's grey, you need to change it before putting your Spyder in storage!! Putting ut into storage with grey oil in it would be inviting corrosion & rust inside the engine in a manner & places you really don't want it to occur!! So change the oil & filter/s NOW, run it for a while & see if you get any discolouration in a hundred miles or so. If you do, it's off to the Dealer with your Spyder; but if not, write yourself a reminder for the start of next season & check before ryding, then keep a close eye on it for the first few hundred miles once you start ryding again! If it was one of those over-stimulated ECU events, you probably won't ever hear any more of it, if not, you really need to get on top of it sooner rather than waiting for next season. :thumbup:

I hope it's NOT coolant or water in your oil!! Good Luck!

Chupaca
11-16-2016, 01:49 AM
:agree: but I have seen this. usually if an E appears in the gear positioning or flashing letters it indicates a gear positioning sensor problem or simply a missed shift or on the Se models a weak shift (Appling the paddle shifter to lightly)...if it cleared and doesn't come back your good but look into the oil condition . ..:lecturef_smilie: