PDA

View Full Version : Vibration causes?

JimVonBaden
11-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I have two types of vibration on my wife's 2013 ST-S SE5.

The first is when cold and I start to move slowly, it rattles and rumbles something awful. Wait 30 seconds and it doesn't do it. I suspect it is just the motor is cold blooded. I need to make sure to warm it up more. Is there a recommended time?

The second is at about 5300 RPM and in 5th gear. It is a rumble in the floor boards, but not in the handle bars. Fairly minor and not consistent. I suspect it is the belt vibrating.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Hi,

The first is when cold and I start to move slowly, it rattles and rumbles something awful. Wait 30 seconds and it doesn't do it. I suspect it is just the motor is cold blooded. I need to make sure to warm it up more. Is there a recommended time?

The second is at about 5300 RPM and in 5th gear. It is a rumble in the floor boards, but not in the handle bars. Fairly minor and not consistent. I suspect it is the belt vibrating.

Are you standing any where near Her when this occurs !!!!....:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ........ funny :hun: ....M :thumbup:

Trbayth
11-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Hi,

Mine does the same and it's been discussed here before. The general consensus was that it's normal for the ST and 998.

nhoj
11-16-2016, 09:56 AM
I have that "clutch chudder" too and that's on an STS SM5, Here's the TSB addressing the issue. Sorry for the fuzzy pic...

ingramwc
11-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Jim, Have you checked your oil level? The engine could vibrate until the oil is circulating upon start up. Remember it is a dry sump engine. The only time I notice vibration from the belt is above 95 mph. I haven't noticed the vibration at startup, but I am not usually on the Spyder when I start it. I start it, and then put my gear on and then get on board. :dontknow:

JimVonBaden
11-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Jim, Have you checked your oil level? The engine could vibrate until the oil is circulating upon start up. Remember it is a dry sump engine. The only time I notice vibration from the belt is above 95 mph. I haven't noticed the vibration at startup, but I am not usually on the Spyder when I start it. I start it, and then put my gear on and then get on board. :dontknow:
I have, and if anything it is overfull.

Aracknoid
11-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Jim, like you I'm a new ST owner, but let me pass this onto you.

I noticed the vibration at around the same RPM level, I checked the spocket alignments and belt tracking everything was first cabin, the next stop was to check the belt tension, Bingo, belt tension was set to the low side. Using the "Kriket" belt tension device from one of the belt suppliers. The tension was set to 205 lbs, vibration greatly reduced. Just my findings your may be different.

Good Luck

JimVonBaden
11-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Jim, like you I'm a new ST owner, but let me pass this onto you.

I noticed the vibration at around the same RPM level, I checked the spocket alignments and belt tracking everything was first cabin, the next stop was to check the belt tension, Bingo, belt tension was set to the low side. Using the "Kriket" belt tension device from one of the belt suppliers. The tension was set to 205 lbs, vibration greatly reduced. Just my findings your may be different.

Good Luck
Great info. I guess I will order me a tension tool.:thumbup: