PDA

View Full Version : ECM & Throttle Sensor

Rukpub
11-14-2016, 07:15 AM
Good day, I was on a group ride yesterday on my 2012 RT SE5 when the on-screen gear indicator started going crazy flashing from 1st to 5th the engine light came on then I lost power. I managed to pull the codes and according to the spyder codes app it is the ECM and throttle sensor.

Does anyone know how much these parts will cost? and if I could possibly install them myself?

I thank you in advance your answer. JW

Snowbelt Spyder
11-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Well, JW - That's kind of an abnormal indication for a Throttle Position Sensor issue. Usually when the gear indicator goes bonkers, it points towards the Gear Position Sensor. Neither sensor typically fails much on the 2012, although there is always the occasional failure. Makes me think that the problem may be more related to some electrical connection issue. You might want to check all your battery and ground connections first.

But either way with either sensor, while the replacement job itself is relatively straight forward, both sensors need to be initialized with BUDS after they are installed, so that the ECM gets calibrated to the new sensor. That would require a dealer or an independent mechanic with his own copy of BUDS and a Spyder license key.

As far as costs go, you can go to a site like Cheap Cycle Parts, and work through their parts finder. The Throttle Position Sensor is going to be around 80 bucks. The Gear Position Sensor is somewhere around 130. Let us know how it goes.

Grandpot
11-14-2016, 08:34 AM
Snowbelt is correct about the electrical connection issue. The sensors on Spyders are reliable. Many times the code is generated due a faulty connection that points to a sensor. Technicians change the sensors because that is what BUDS tells them to do.

Before you buy anything, disconnect the battery and remove the Tupperware around engine. Take out the airbox. Clean and lubricate the five pivot points on the butterfly shaft. Disconnect and reconnect every electrical connector you can find. Check all four main ground connections.

On these types of systems, most problems are caused by connections.

billybovine
11-14-2016, 09:22 AM
The on screen indications don't match the code. So either more than one problem or misread the code. There are a couple codes regarding throttle sensor with different causes and fixes. So what was the code?

Rukpub
11-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Well, JW - That's kind of an abnormal indication for a Throttle Position Sensor issue. Usually when the gear indicator goes bonkers, it points towards the Gear Position Sensor. Neither sensor typically fails much on the 2012, although there is always the occasional failure. Makes me think that the problem may be more related to some electrical connection issue. You might want to check all your battery and ground connections first.

But either way with either sensor, while the replacement job itself is relatively straight forward, both sensors need to be initialized with BUDS after they are installed, so that the ECM gets calibrated to the new sensor. That would require a dealer or an independent mechanic with his own copy of BUDS and a Spyder license key.

As far as costs go, you can go to a site like Cheap Cycle Parts, and work through their parts finder. The Throttle Position Sensor is going to be around 80 bucks. The Gear Position Sensor is somewhere around 130. Let us know how it goes.

I apologize, it is the gear position sensor

Rukpub
11-14-2016, 10:10 AM
The on screen indications don't match the code. So either more than one problem or misread the code. There are a couple codes regarding throttle sensor with different causes and fixes. So what was the code?

P0706, P0709, P2801, P2806

billybovine
11-14-2016, 11:10 AM
All 4 codes relate to the Gear Position Sensor. So most likely the sensor has failed or is failing. Based on the codes it is not a calibration issue. The wiring does need to be inspected first to be prudent.

Rukpub
11-14-2016, 11:23 AM
All 4 codes relate to the Gear Position Sensor. So most likely the sensor has failed or is failing. Based on the codes it is not a calibration issue. The wiring does need to be inspected first to be prudent.

Thank you. I think it is failing because it happened twice on long runs. My spyder is my sole means of transportation I hope I can ride it up to the dealer. Thanks again.