PDA

View Full Version : New Member Looking For Recommendations On New Spyder

Portertown
11-14-2016, 01:13 AM
As post title says, I am looking for any recommendations on which Spyder model would fit my needs.

Let me introduce myself to you. I am a retired 69 year old who has a bad hip and a little stiffness in the knees. I am 6 foot, 6 inches tall and weigh 265. A little on the large size I would say. I am mechanically inclined and drag raced cars that I built for many years with IHRA.
I retired about 7 years ago from the Pharmaceutical packaging industry as a Mechanical Engineer.

I have not rode a motorcycle in about 40 years and I guess you could say I am getting into my second childhood.
I am thinking my riding will be mixed, with some local riding to just meet friends to drink coffee or local shopping and some trips from a few days to maybe a week.

As I will need the storage space, I was thinking about getting the RT S with the SE6 trans. I plan to add a GPS and any other items that I may need or want. That word "Want" could turn out to be a large problem.

A dealer about 40 miles from my home has a good selection of 2016 models on hand and I plan on visiting them on Wednesday to check them out. I understand there is a factory rebate/promotion for up to $2500.

Is the RT S the correct Spyder for me to be looking at? Is it the best model for someone my size?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4 MARIE
11-14-2016, 01:35 AM
gee, we have a lot in common. I am 6'6" and 300. Arthritic. FAA licensed A&P mechanic.
my last 10 years in the workforce were spent as a Pharmaceutical QA inspector.
Anyway, I really like MY RTS SE6, but right now am having difficulty with it. They are a blast to ride,
and I recommend you start slowly and "work up" so to speak. I hopped right off a 2 wheeler, and
there is a definite learning curve. If you've read a little on here and know what you need to about their "issues"
there are really good prices on them right now, esp. the RTS it seems. You should be comfy. I have size 18 feet
and the floor boards allow even me to change foot position a meaningful amount. I'm kind of in the process of
"farkling" too. I did get the Comfort Seat that sits a little further back. Would like the tall/wide windshield too.

I stopped at a Dollar General the other day. A guy and his gal came out as I was getting off. He looked at my ryde
and me and asked "Is that thing fun?"......I grinned at him and said "uh uh"..........then all three of us laughed.

Also, for what you need it for, unless you HAVE to have new, I am always seeing super low mile RT's (Esp 11, 12, 13)
for really fair prices. And then if it didn't work out, you wouldn't be so deep in it.(just saying)

Portertown
11-14-2016, 02:13 AM
gee, we have a lot in common. I am 6'6" and 300. Arthritic. FAA licensed A&P mechanic.
my last 10 years in the workforce were spent as a Pharmaceutical QA inspector.
Anyway, I really like MY RTS SE6, but right now am having difficulty with it. They are a blast to ride,
and I recommend you start slowly and "work up" so to speak. I hopped right off a 2 wheeler, and
there is a definite learning curve. If you've read a little on here and know what you need to about their "issues"
there are really good prices on them right now, esp. the RTS it seems. You should be comfy. I have size 18 feet
and the floor boards allow even me to change foot position a meaningful amount. I'm kind of in the process of
"farkling" too. I did get the Comfort Seat that sits a little further back. Would like the tall/wide windshield too.

I stopped at a Dollar General the other day. A guy and his gal came out as I was getting off. He looked at my ryde
and me and asked "Is that thing fun?"......I grinned at him and said "uh uh"..........then all three of us laughed.

Also, for what you need it for, unless you HAVE to have new, I am always seeing super low mile RT's (Esp 11, 12, 13)
for really fair prices. And then if it didn't work out, you wouldn't be so deep in it.(just saying)

Thanks for the reply and info.
Your comments make me feel like I am looking at the correct Spyder. We are two good sized ones for sure and both from the Pharma industry. Looks like I came to the right place to get info that "fits" me. My shoe size is 16, so a little smaller.
A dealer in Winston Salem, NC (about 175 miles from my home) has the 2016 RT S advertised for $22,298, which is over $6,000 off MSRP. Then take off the $2,500 factory promotion. The dealer may sell cheaper, I have not contacted him yet, but plan on calling him today. I am hoping my local dealer will meet his price as he is only about 40 miles from me.
I have heard about the Comfort seat and will see what kind of deal I can get on it. I have not seen many used Spyders in my area and I think I want to go with new so I will have the warranty.
Thanks again for the help.

Peteoz
11-14-2016, 02:23 AM
6'7" 310lbs, eeeentsy teeny weeny feet compared to 4maree (only size 15), knee arthritis and I didn't fit comfortably on the RT. I physically couldn't get my foot in to brake (38" inleg). I honestly don't know how 4maree does it.....and there's another 6'9"er who finds the RT OK.

I went for the F3 Limited, introduced in 2016. Try one, but make sure the dealer has it setup for tall (foot position #5) . The 2017 F3-L also includes a trunk. It's sportier than the RT and has an adjustable foot position, with a riding position more similar to a cruiser with slightly forward controls. It is missing some of the RT extras like an electronic screen, and that is reflected in the cheaper (slightly) price, but it is a great touring unit.

Don't get me wrong......I would be more than happy to have an RT, but they just didn't work for me physically.

Pete

Bam Bam and Pebbles
11-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the reply and info.
Your comments make me feel like I am looking at the correct Spyder. We are two good sized ones for sure and both from the Pharma industry. Looks like I came to the right place to get info that "fits" me. My shoe size is 16, so a little smaller.
A dealer in Winston Salem, NC (about 175 miles from my home) has the 2016 RT S advertised for $22,298, which is over $6,000 off MSRP. Then take off the $2,500 factory promotion. The dealer may sell cheaper, I have not contacted him yet, but plan on calling him today. I am hoping my local dealer will meet his price as he is only about 40 miles from me.
I have heard about the Comfort seat and will see what kind of deal I can get on it. I have not seen many used Spyders in my area and I think I want to go with new so I will have the warranty.
Thanks again for the help.

If you are talking about Honda of Winston-Salem, they are a pretty good dealer. Good and fair service department. I am sure they would go down a little in price. They did with my 2015 RTS SM6. Of course if you are just looking for your close dealer to match, then the service doesn't matter. An RT is definitely the way to go. Good Luck!

Portertown
11-14-2016, 03:09 AM
6'7" 310lbs, eeeentsy teeny weeny feet compared to 4maree (only size 15), knee arthritis and I didn't fit comfortably on the RT. I physically couldn't get my foot in to brake (38" inleg). I honestly don't know how 4maree does it.....and there's another 6'9"er who finds the RT OK.

I went for the F3 Limited, introduced in 2016. Try one, but make sure the dealer has it setup for tall (foot position #5) . The 2017 F3-L also includes a trunk. It's sportier than the RT and has an adjustable foot position, with a riding position more similar to a cruiser with slightly forward controls. It is missing some of the RT extras like an electronic screen, and that is reflected in the cheaper (slightly) price, but it is a great touring unit.

Don't get me wrong......I would be more than happy to have an RT, but they just didn't work for me physically.

Pete

Thanks for the reply/info.
There are a lot of big boys on this forum who ride Spyders it seems. I was afraid I was not going to get much useful info, but I was sure wrong. My leg inseam is 34 inches.
I will for sure take a look at the F3 Limited also. I want to get the most comfortable ride possible, even if I have to give up some extras. Would not be a smart purchase if it was not a pleasure to ride.

Portertown
11-14-2016, 03:20 AM
If you are talking about Honda of Winston-Salem, they are a pretty good dealer. Good and fair service department. I am sure they would go down a little in price. They did with my 2015 RTS SM6. Of course if you are just looking for your close dealer to match, then the service doesn't matter. An RT is definitely the way to go. Good Luck!

I really wish Honda of Winston-Salem was a little closer to me. They seem to be a good dealer and they also offer the laser alignment included on all new units I understand. Not sure about my local dealer's service department, but I will check them out this week. If I can not deal with my local dealer or if I am not satisfied with their service department, I might just end up in Winston-Salem.
Thanks for the info and your help.

Peteoz
11-14-2016, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the reply/info.
There are a lot of big boys on this forum who ride Spyders it seems. I was afraid I was not going to get much useful info, but I was sure wrong. My leg inseam is 34 inches.
I will for sure take a look at the F3 Limited also. I want to get the most comfortable ride possible, even if I have to give up some extras. Would not be a smart purchase if it was not a pleasure to ride.

Just remember......you really can't go wrong.....these things are a hoot whichever model you end up getting. I enjoyed two wheels for 45 years.....would I go back?.....no way... and if the accessory range at first seems a little sparse, it's really not. Most anything you can think of to make the ride more comfortable and/or fun is out there. Good luck with the choice, and don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll find they have been asked before, and people here are very helpful (mostly:roflblack:).

Pete

jtoro1
11-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Most dealers will let you try one out before you buy I have had 2 RTS one SM 5 and I have now a SE 6 and love it . But I am not a big boy I am a small man.

Saluda
11-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Definitely, take a long ride or two on each model. Good luck.

PrairieSpyder
11-14-2016, 09:19 AM

Pete

:agree: You should try out an F3T or F3Ltd. If you can find a left-over 2016, the top case can be added.

blacklightning
11-14-2016, 09:22 AM
I really wish Honda of Winston-Salem was a little closer to me. They seem to be a good dealer and they also offer the laser alignment included on all new units I understand. Not sure about my local dealer's service department, but I will check them out this week. If I can not deal with my local dealer or if I am not satisfied with their service department, I might just end up in Winston-Salem.
I am not that far from you (Apex,NC). The dealership in Winston-Salem is very good. You could also try the dealership in Henderson to see if they would match their deals. There are a lot of us in the Raleigh area and would love to get together for riding. Check us out on facebook under triangle spyders.

ARtraveler
11-14-2016, 02:45 PM
I am in the same age bracket and with hip issues. I prefer the RT models. Have had three of them now. Suggest a good test ride to see if a different model may work for you. Let us know what you decide.

Marcy
11-14-2016, 03:33 PM
One more thing to consider is if you ever plan on riding 2 up make sure you take your rider when testing the different types. :lecturef_smilie:

lou49
11-14-2016, 03:59 PM
As post title says, I am looking for any recommendations on which Spyder model would fit my needs.

Let me introduce myself to you. I am a retired 69 year old who has a bad hip and a little stiffness in the knees. I am 6 foot, 6 inches tall and weigh 265. A little on the large size I would say. I am mechanically inclined and drag raced cars that I built for many years with IHRA.
I retired about 7 years ago from the Pharmaceutical packaging industry as a Mechanical Engineer.

I have not rode a motorcycle in about 40 years and I guess you could say I am getting into my second childhood.
I am thinking my riding will be mixed, with some local riding to just meet friends to drink coffee or local shopping and some trips from a few days to maybe a week.

As I will need the storage space, I was thinking about getting the RT S with the SE6 trans. I plan to add a GPS and any other items that I may need or want. That word "Want" could turn out to be a large problem.

A dealer about 40 miles from my home has a good selection of 2016 models on hand and I plan on visiting them on Wednesday to check them out. I understand there is a factory rebate/promotion for up to $2500.

Is the RT S the correct Spyder for me to be looking at? Is it the best model for someone my size?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. sent you a p m!

Portertown
11-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks to all who have supplied info and tips to guide me in my venture into the world of the Spyder. I am going Wednesday to check out the different models that have been suggested. I am carrying a high school classmate of mine who has been riding motorcycles for about 50 years and has traveled many miles each year on his rides. He rides year round. I know the Spyder is a different riding experience than a two wheel motorcycle, but I think he can still help me with my evaluations.
I have been reading this forum for the last week and the information here is top notch. Plus the members seem to be so helpful.
I think the Spyder could become a hobby as well as a fun means of transportation. I love to tinker on things and try to improve them, so a Spyder could provide me another toy to play with.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
11-14-2016, 05:40 PM

But if they were closer to you, they would be further from me. I prefer to have them just where they are. :yes:

Bob Denman
11-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Thanks to all who have supplied info and tips to guide me in my venture into the world of the Spyder. I am going Wednesday to check out the different models that have been suggested. .

:D Happy hunting, and the best of luck to you! :2thumbs:

Portertown
11-14-2016, 06:10 PM
But if they were closer to you, they would be further from me. I prefer to have them just where they are. :yes:

You have a valid point. Can we just move them a little east so they would be a little closer to me? Or one of us could move I guess. :)

Deanna777
11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
First of all :welcome: to this site!

Take a test drive, and let us know what you decide.

Deanna

PapaHotel
11-14-2016, 07:57 PM
I just purchased an RT. It is important to sit on them and try them out. I decided I liked the floorboard models. I also found out that at 6'0 29 inseam, that I was a bit tight on legroom as I am not able to move my legs out further and further to get additional legroom. I settled on the RT as it was the best compromise if I wanted to take my wife with. I think for the taller people, the F3T is a great choice as the foot position is adaptable and the seat height is much lower. Definitely sit on both before choosing. It is cheaper to buy the right machine the first time around!!

vinsanity666
11-14-2016, 10:23 PM
I am 61 and haven't been on a bike in 20 years. I couldn't afford a new RT but picked up a 2012 with 9,000 miles for 13 grand. Has auto trans ( got the limited ) which I've grown to love. Once you get used to the paddle shift, it's great. No more stalling out, wrong gear, and stopping on a hill is no problem. I love mine and use it for any errand I can think of. It doesn't handle like a bike, more like a ski mobile. Felt weird for a few weeks, but now I love it. Stable, safe, big....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

niterider
11-14-2016, 11:34 PM
welcome to spyder lovers, i'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. I bought a RT S and I am comfortable on it. Same reasons u mentioned, shopping, riding, very short trips for me, due to body NOT trike. Try one and let us know how u decide. I did put triax bars on to be able to adjust if I want.
Go get and enjoy yourself like we do!!! Ride Safe

Peteoz
11-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Thanks to all who have supplied info and tips to guide me in my venture into the world of the Spyder. I am going Wednesday to check out the different models that have been suggested. I am carrying a high school classmate of mine who has been riding motorcycles for about 50 years and has traveled many miles each year on his rides. He rides year round. I know the Spyder is a different riding experience than a two wheel motorcycle, but I think he can still help me with my evaluations.
I have been reading this forum for the last week and the information here is top notch. Plus the members seem to be so helpful.
I think the Spyder could become a hobby as well as a fun means of transportation. I love to tinker on things and try to improve them, so a Spyder could provide me another toy to play with.

Just watch out.....if your pillion has ridden two wheels for 50 years, he WILL feel at first like he is being thrown off the back when you go around corners as the trike isn't leaning. He DOES need to use the pillion handgrips. He should soon adapt though. Also, be aware that the semi auto models do increase revs when auto changing down. It can be a little "unnerving" for the uninitiated when coming to a stop or slow corner on the first ride. Hope it all goes well for you.