PDA

View Full Version : Rivco aluminum bumpskid vs Spyderpops bumpskid

cyclekid58
11-13-2016, 09:43 PM
I saw that rivco has a new aluminum 3 piece bumpskid, the 2 outer pieces bolt on then the center piece, looks good but wonder about weight difference. I have the spyderpops bumpskid that has saved my front end more than once and wondered if anyone has tried this one yet. Looking at options when we get my wifes RT. Have no luck with pics so heres a link to it.

https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-motorcycle/can-am-spyder/ca550-sp-skid-plate-for-2014-newer-can-am-spyder-rt-models-with-rivco-bumper.html

NM Wrench
11-13-2016, 09:47 PM
The rivco bump skid is designed to work with their bumper. Don't think it works without it

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

cyclekid58
11-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Seemed like it would work with their bumper, not one or the other.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

OverHillAndDale
11-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Neither company posts the weight of their products, but I suspect they're pretty close.

Given the the Spyders don't behave noticeably differently when the trunk is loaded vs empty, or with a 200 lb rider vs a 250 lb rider, I doubt that the 5-10 lbs of either bumpskid would make any real difference.

Cruzr Joe
11-14-2016, 11:52 AM
My thoughts are that the three piece Rivco aluminum will bend when hit, (once bent, stays bent), whereas the one piece Spyderpops one has some flexibility and won't bend, the Spyderpops one also sticks out more to protect the front end of your Spyder. Weight is probably not much different and should not be a factor. Also the polyethelene is designed to slide over objects, whereas the aluminum might grab.

Cruzr Joe

cyclekid58
11-14-2016, 12:37 PM
All good points spyder pops has served me well and I can see where it flexed from the scrapes on a road edge so will probably go that route.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Chupaca
11-14-2016, 02:46 PM
seema what we are looking at is only the skid. As such it is much larger that the stock and would work well in protection of the underside. As mentioned to get the same protection as the bumpskid you would need the bumper as well. It is nice and looks to install easy....:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
11-14-2016, 05:36 PM
seema what we are looking at is only the skid. As such it is much larger that the stock and would work well in protection of the underside. As mentioned to get the same protection as the bumpskid you would need the bumper as well. It is nice and looks to install easy....:thumbup:

The look is different and subject to the consumers view.

Cruzr Joe

jcthorne
11-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Installed one of the skid plates and bumper at the request of a customer this weekend. If there are questions, I may be able to help.

Bob Denman
11-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Didn't we just have an unplanned "Impact Test" :shocked:, by an owner of the Rivco setup? :dontknow:
As I recall; they were plenty happy with how it helped the front of the bike survive...
I hope that they jump in, and fill-in the blanks!

waynerho
11-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Didn't we just have an unplanned "Impact Test" :shocked:, by an owner of the Rivco setup? :dontknow:
As I recall; they were plenty happy with how it helped the front of the bike survive...
I hope that they jump in, and fill-in the blanks!

I'm the one who did the "unplanned Impact Test".
I hit a deer with my 2015RT LTD, at about 45MPH, just off the left of the bike's centerline.
The deer went down, and I drove over its rear end.
I heard a loud bang as the suspension compressed all the way, and I came out of the seat (but fortunately stayed on).

Not a scratch on the bike, but if you stand back and look at the bumper, you can see that the left end is a little higher than the right. To give you an idea how hard the hit was, it had to bend the 3/16 inch steel mount to make the bumper out of level. I've stood on the left end and bounced the bike, and it won't bend back. I'll just live with it. You really have to look at it to see it's a little crooked.

I have their skid plate now, but haven't installed it yet. It will only work with their bumper already installed. It actually bolts to pre-tapped holes on the bumper in two places.

I have to believe that without the bumper, the nose of the bike would've been destroyed!

Bob Denman
11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks for chiming in! :clap:
(And I'm sorry that I just couldn't remember your name... :opps:)

Based upon your account of the event: I'm guessing that you firmly believe in the usefulness of Rivco's product... :congrats: on there not being any more damage!

pitzerwm
11-17-2016, 07:53 PM
I've seen 2 results of impacts with the Spyerpop's unit. Both IMO were low less than 5mph impacts and it really messed up all of the connections to the bike. I have one and wouldn't ride without one. I would agree that if you are able to get over whatever you impact, the results will be a lot better than without something.

Peter Aawen
11-17-2016, 11:30 PM
.....To give you an idea how hard the hit was, it had to bend the 3/16 inch steel mount to make the bumper out of level. I've stood on the left end and bounced the bike, and it won't bend back.....

The bit I've highlighted above is what worries me about the Rivco bumper - it's mounted onto the Spyder's main frame isn't it? Fairly solidly it appears, & if those sorts of impact forces are being transferred directly into the frame, what damage are they actually doing under there?? :shocked:

That said, SpyderPop's BumpSkid also protrudes somewhat & could be subject to the same sort of forces & force transfer, but then it does flex & so is more likely to tend to absorb or at least provide a progressive 'crumple zone' effect before it makes the Spyder ride up & over most obstacles it is likely to hit!! And that could mean less resultant damage from transferred forces...

I've seen pics of a Spyder that lost its Frunk (without either of the units above fitted) when it tore the mounting points right out of the frame after a relatively minor/just above idle speed 'collision' with an immovable object; and I've personally seen a Spyder that was fitted with a bumper very similar to the Rivco unit (a predecessor or prototype maybe??) which, while moving at 'travelling in town' speeds, (so, probably not much faster than about 30 mph) collided with one of our native 'Sherman Tanks on Legs' (a wombat - these solid but 'medium sized dog' with short legs sized animals are often referred to as 'mobile brick walls'!) Witnesses claim that the wombat was injured, altho it was not hurt enough to stop it fleeing the scene; & the ATGATT clad Ryder was thrown clear of the Spyder when it flipped & so survived, albeit with some pretty spectacular bruising. But the Spyder didn't survive - its frame was warped & twisted well beyond repair & as a result, many of the components that you'd normally expect to be recoverable after a prang like this were severely bent or broken & well beyond repair or use anywhere else.

The 'towie' who recovered the Spyder blamed the massive damage on the bumper (which was bolted directly to the frame in a similar way to all these others seem to be) transferring pretty much ALL the impact forces into the major frame components & basically tearing everything off.... He sees a lot of prangs, not only because he owns/operates one of the largest Crash Recovery & Repair places within a radius of about 100 miles, but also because he often chooses to drive one of his towing fleet to attend & collect vehicles from 'interesting' or potentially controversial incidents; partly cos he's the boss & he can, but also because he's recognised (& frequently employed) by the State Govt as an Accident Investigator, so he really does have 'just a little idea' of what goes on to cause vehicle damage! And until this prang occurred, he had never even heard of an accident involving a Spyder that warranted anything more than a tilt tray - yet for this one they called for a 'lift capable' recovery vehicle as the Spyder had no working wheels left!! :shocked: All this from a less than 30 mph collision with an animal, even if it was a solid little bugga?!? :yikes: Was this largely attributable to the bumper being solidly mounted to the frame??

Soo, while I really don't know if the Rivco bumper (or the BumpSkid for that matter) IS likely to be prone to cause any more damage due to the transfer of impact forces into the frame, but I'm certainly concerned & would like to know more about how & where they mount & how much impact force would be transferred in the event of a collision?! How 'small' a collision would this occur in - kerb jumping?? Or only higher speed prangs? Anyone know any more on this?! Or have any pertinent experiences they can share? :helpsmilie: