PDA

View Full Version : Brake Questions

pegasus1300
11-12-2016, 12:07 AM
I have 2 questions. Do any of you who have done brake jobs on pre 2013 have any spare clips for the front brake pads. One of the clips broke as I was installing it in the pad.

Second question is who makes the calipers for the 2012's? Since the clips are not available from Can Am except in the complete kits, I thought I would see if they were available from the supplier.

thanks for your help.

trikermutha
11-12-2016, 12:41 AM
this came up not to long ago by another member. Think he ended buying a set of pads just to get the clips.

pegasus1300
11-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Bump

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-12-2016, 10:40 AM
I have 2 questions. Do any of you who have done brake jobs on pre 2013 have any spare clips for the front brake pads. One of the clips broke as I was installing it in the pad.

Second question is who makes the calipers for the 2012's? Since the clips are not available from Can Am except in the complete kits, I thought I would see if they were available from the supplier.

thanks for your help.
I'm not a " Brake Pad GURU " ,Sooooooooo..... could you substitute some from a car or other mtc. , because shops have the ones they would normally throwaway and would probably give some - just to hold you over until your next Brake job..........#2. Get in touch with Ron ( bajaron ) He may be able to help you out ....Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
11-12-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm not a " Brake Pad GURU " ,Sooooooooo..... could you substitute some from a car or other mtc. , because shops have the ones they would normally throwaway and would probably give some - just to hold you over until your next Brake job..........#2. Get in touch with Ron ( bajaron ) He may be able to help you out ....Mike :thumbup:

I have gone thru the list on ebay of brake clips and there is nothing even similar. Of course they don't have everything but pretty close.

I had not thought of Ron,that is a good idea,thanks Mike.

pegasus1300
11-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I just got confirmation of what I was beginning to suspect,the calipers/brake pads are proprietary to BRP,which explains why the clips are not sold separately. I am going down to the hobby shop and get some piano wire and see if I can make one. In the meantime if anyone runs across an extra one in their tool box or parts box don't toss it send it my way.

pegasus1300
11-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Since the brake pad retainer clips seem to be unobtainium,I decided to make one myself. I needed some springy wire so I went to the hobby shop I always use. He doesn't have any in the size I need finally find it at Hobby Lobby,music wire .039. Turn out it is not as springy as the OEM wire but I think it will work. Besides I don't know where to get any other wire. It took me an 1 1/5 hours to bend it free hand. It isn't pretty but I think it will work.

The unbroken original is on the right, the broken one is in the middle,the hand made one is on the left,installed in the brake pad.

Grandpot
11-13-2016, 07:46 AM
I hope that works. Good effort.

This reminds me of the poem about the horseshoe nail:

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

KX5062
11-13-2016, 11:11 AM
No help for the front, but the rear brake caliper appears to be the same as used in Ural. So, it would lead me to wonder if somehow you could adapt the front brake caliper from the Ural onto the Spyder (the Ural uses a Brembo), or some other motorcycle. The original Spyder brakes seemed to be Chinese made copies of Brembo systems. In the newer models the fronts are actual Brembo units, so....

Switching calipers and master cylinders is done in the motorcycle world for certain brands and models that come from the factory with inadequate braking systems.

Just thinking out loud. :doorag:

trikermutha
11-13-2016, 11:47 AM
I any really surprised no body has an old set laying around when they replaced the pads??

pegasus1300
11-13-2016, 03:55 PM
I any really surprised no body has an old set laying around when they replaced the pads??

yeah me too,but thats the way it goes. I have been thinking about the caliper swap thing. I have done that on a MK1 Venture to R6 calipers and also an RSTD to Roadliner calipers.

The 08-12 calipers are Chinese but I don't know if copies or originals. They are proprietary to BRP. Their pads,their clips.

billybovine
11-15-2016, 11:35 AM
I believe the manufacturer of the brake calipers for 2012 and earlier Spyder is Hayes Brands. Their HB logo is cast into the caliper.

http://www.hayesbrake.com/markets/motorcycle/

trikermutha
11-15-2016, 11:40 AM
I be surprised if the Manufacturer will be able to help since they are contracted with BRP. But then again couldn't hurt to try.

suspected they where Hayes brakes before they went to Brembo.

pegasus1300
11-15-2016, 12:57 PM
I believe the manufacturer of the brake calipers for 2012 and earlier Spyder is Hayes Brands. Their HB logo is cast into the caliper.

http://www.hayesbrake.com/markets/motorcycle/

Thanks Billy. I went to their website that you posted and sent a message to their tech team. We'll see what the response is. Trikermutha I suspect you are right but email is free so why not? Since they are all bikers or claim to be maybe they will decide they can part with a couple without compromising their contract with BRP.

billybovine
11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
That's true. What's the worst they can do, say No.

I posted this info several years ago and I went looking for it. It appears maybe I posted it in someone else's thread and maybe it was deleted. Maybe they where offended by someone. :joke:

Thanks Billy. I went to their website that you posted and sent a message to their tech team. We'll see what the response is. Trikermutha I suspect you are right but email is free so why not? Since they are all bikers or claim to be maybe they will decide they can part with a couple without compromising their contract with BRP.