PDA

View Full Version : can am cb radio

meerkat
11-10-2016, 06:55 PM
What kind of luck is every one having with the can am cb radio . Any good or bad ?:helpsmilie:

viperryder
11-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Have a 2014 RTS with BRP CB installed. Have not had any bad experiences. Travel considerable amount of time with Goldwing friends and use it all the time.:yes::yes:

ceyer69
11-11-2016, 07:54 AM
I have a factory can am CB on my 2015 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder.

Marker
11-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Don't waste your money on the cb/comm system. I have had nothing but problems with the cb and comm system .

stillriding
11-11-2016, 09:58 AM
What kind of luck is every one having with the can am cb radio . Any good or bad ?:helpsmilie:​Adequate. Barely.

stevedfive
11-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Mine doesn't work. It transmits fine but when the engine is on, I get static when receiving. However, its receives great when the engine is not running. So it's more like a $1,000 intercom system.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-11-2016, 01:16 PM
What kind of luck is every one having with the can am cb radio . Any good or bad ?:helpsmilie:
Mine works good, particularly w/ the Firestik NGP antenna. Search for my post about it. I can't find or do links with Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

meerkat
11-11-2016, 02:11 PM
I thank you all for the replies .:sour::bowdown::yes:

Buggy
11-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Mine works well...but I am having trouble with the Tennessee accent option!:joke:

youngers
11-11-2016, 06:58 PM
I have a factory can am CB on my 2025 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder. a 2025 R-T-S please put photo`s of it here ! :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-11-2016, 10:47 PM
I have a factory can am CB on my 2025 RTS S and had some issues at first. I added extra foil tape for better ground plane and also upgraded the antenna to a J&M antenna tuned for the Spyder.
How much do you think the foil tape helped? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it did nothing to improve the SWR. In researching CB issues I came to the determination that aluminum does not work very well for a ground plane. Steel works the best. When I was battling with the CB high SWR I pulled a 3 ft square steel top table next to the Spyder and connected the antenna ground to it. SWR dropped dramatically!

Because the Spyder has so little steel to create a decent ground plane the Firestik No Ground Plane antenna is about the best option there is. The challenge is to accommodate the 17 ft coax cable and keep it away from the steel frame. Having the coax close to steel hampers the antenna's effectiveness.

Flyrr
11-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Took out 27mgh CB, replaced with a UHF CB mounted in top box, a lot better than 27mghs.

Peter Aawen
11-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Took out 27mgh CB, replaced with a UHF CB mounted in top box, a lot better than 27mghs.

Flyr, Did you use the BRP CB antenna base & access the provided PTT button, or did you go with alternatives for either/both?!?

For the 'non-Aussie readers', regular road users & off roaders here in Aus pretty much exclusively run UHF CB for local, vehicle to vehicle, & tour/convoy comms, benefiting from the clarity & security features they can provide plus there's a fairly extensive repeater network available too, so we can fairly reliably get good short/mid range AND reasonably good long range comms via the UHF CB in a very usable manner. We've pretty much dropped 27mHz CB as next to useless here because just about everywhere it is prone to massive & continual interference from hundreds of extremely high powered units gabbing almost continuously around the clock courtesy of the fishing fleets of our Northern Neighbours that congregate in the seas just over our Northern horizons - if it's not the LoS & ground plane signal booming in then the skip propagation means that most of mainland Aust is almost always blanketed by their high volume chatter!! :p

Sooo, if anyone has come up with a way of usefully integrating UHF CB into the BRP CB platform (have you Flyr?) I'd be extremely interested in hearing/seeing what it took & how you managed it?!? Anyone??

ceyer69
11-12-2016, 07:39 AM
It may have been more of the better antenna from J&M than the foil tape. I did it all together at once. I like the idea of the firestick NGP antenna. How did you mount it and where did you put all the coax?

How much do you think the foil tape helped? The reason I ask is because I tried it and it did nothing to improve the SWR. In researching CB issues I came to the determination that aluminum does not work very well for a ground plane. Steel works the best. When I was battling with the CB high SWR I pulled a 3 ft square steel top table next to the Spyder and connected the antenna ground to it. SWR dropped dramatically!

Because the Spyder has so little steel to create a decent ground plane the Firestik No Ground Plane antenna is about the best option there is. The challenge is to accommodate the 17 ft coax cable and keep it away from the steel frame. Having the coax close to steel hampers the antenna's effectiveness.