PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions and Wisdom Before I Buy a Spyder

kyledye
04-06-2009, 02:35 AM
I have a 2002 BMW K12LT and am seriously considering trading it in on a 2008 yellow demo Spyder. However, I have questions that I need some help on.

Here in Washington state, I'll need to get a trike endorsement--how much of a hassle is this? Did you take a MSC for trikes or get a permit and then go take the riding exam?

I'm going to check with my insurance company and see what the numbers are like. From what I've been reading, the Spyder's insurance is higher--which seems strange to me considering there's three wheels to work with.

I'm wondering how things work with insurance from the time you get the Spyder till you get the endorsement if a MSC isn't available. (I've found one around June 16th; that's aways away.

How easy is the Spyder to wrench on? My BMW has many chores that can only be done by the dealer.

As a final note, Friday I went to the State Geography Bee at Stadium High School in Tacoma. (I'm a 7th grade Geography teacher.) There's virtually not a level spot to be found, with many steep, awkward slopes. My heavy K12LT kept me on my toes finding a place to park. It seems to me a Spyder would have made the whole deal easy.

Thanks for letting ask the questions; I'll keep you posted.

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA

NancysToy
04-06-2009, 07:44 AM
I have a 2002 BMW K12LT and am seriously considering trading it in on a 2008 yellow demo Spyder. However, I have questions that I need some help on.

Here in Washington state, I'll need to get a trike endorsement--how much of a hassle is this? Did you take a MSC for trikes or get a permit and then go take the riding exam?

I'm going to check with my insurance company and see what the numbers are like. From what I've been reading, the Spyder's insurance is higher--which seems strange to me considering there's three wheels to work with.

I'm wondering how things work with insurance from the time you get the Spyder till you get the endorsement if a MSC isn't available. (I've found one around June 16th; that's aways away.

How easy is the Spyder to wrench on? My BMW has many chores that can only be done by the dealer.

As a final note, Friday I went to the State Geography Bee at Stadium High School in Tacoma. (I'm a 7th grade Geography teacher.) There's virtually not a level spot to be found, with many steep, awkward slopes. My heavy K12LT kept me on my toes finding a place to park. It seems to me a Spyder would have made the whole deal easy.

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA
I ride a BMW R1100RT myself. I love my wife's Spyder, and have considered switching to one exclusively, but garage space is too cramped for two. Very comfortable, but will need to be extensively accessorized to have the touring comfort and storage of an LT. Just my opinion. I can't answer your Washington state questions. You can ride anything here in Michigan with a standard endorsement. The three-wheel endorsements are for three-wheelers only in our fair state.

I found the insurance higher, too, but I figured it was based on a newer bike versus an older one, and the values of each. Progressive insured ours as a sport-touring bike, not a full tourer, so that may have entered into the equation. They also specify that it is a three-wheeler on the certificate, so that may alter the rates, too. It would be interesting to see what your insurance guy says.

I think the Spyder parts cost and their "dealer only" service needs are similar to my Beemers. I do my own oil changes on both, and some adjustments, but usually draw the line at some of the more serious stuff. Certainly not as do-it-yourself as my Airhead. Good service manual, though, and there seem to be fewer special tools involved. Also fewer fasteners to remove the Tupperware. Unfortunately, as with all newer vehicles, there is a computer aspect involved for both troubleshooting and for periodic programming changes, so you have to maintain a good relationship with the dealer.

I will say the Spyder is way more forgiving to ride or park on uneven ground. Not sure how strong the parking brake will hold on a steep slope, however, and you can't angle toward the curb as readily. Park brake needs frequent adjustment to hold its best. Regular maintenance to avoid sticking, too. On a manual trans Spyder you can leave it in gear. Low ground clearance requires an even slope and prefers pavement. Certainly doesn't like deep ruts or mud. No sinking sidestand to worry about though, or too much slope for a centerstand.
-Scotty

zzneonzz
04-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I can't offer any information about the trike endorsement as here a regular motorcycle endorsement will work for both 2 and 3 wheels.

Insurance is a bit depending on were you live and your experience in riding it seems. The reason for this is all the insurance company's i have found have the spyder classified as a sports bike. The insurance will vary from state to state and company to company. I have state farm and here if you do not have your Motorcycle or Trike endorsement they will only cover theft of the vehicle.

I haven't done any major wrenching on mine some others here can tell you more about that but what i have done has been fairly simple. The only thing that you will not be able to do for sure is the Buds update to the computer.

My driveway is on a 45 degree slope and if i set the parking brake it doesn't move so you definately have more parking options with the spyder.

Director
04-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA

Hi Kyle. I found it surprising that you would require a separate three-wheel endorsement with a valid motorcycle operator's license, so I took a look at the Washington State legislation, and it looks like you are correct. You do need a three-wheeled endorsement. In most jurisdictions, the three-wheel endorsement is only for those who exclusively ride trikes, sidecars, or more recently, Can-Am Spyder roadsters, and a motorcyclist may ride any two or three-wheeled motorcycle with a motorcycle licence.
I also noticed this provision in the Operator's Guide:

The rig must have a muffler in good working order. It
must prevent excessive or unusual noise. Muffler cutouts,
bypasses or similar devices are illegal. Changing the exhaust system to amplify the noise is also illegal.

Therefore, I would strongly suggest when you take your test that you not show up with a Hindle or Micron-equipped Spyder.

Insurance does vary a lot from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Here in the Province of Ontario, insurance costs are sky-high, but my Spyder costs about the same to insure as did my Kawasaki Concours.

As a long-time motorcyclist, I have to tell you that I am enjoying my Spyder even more than all of my two-wheelers. There is something unique about the Spyder experience.

Finally, you asked how easy the Spyder is to wrench on. I guess the answer to that depends on how comfortable you are with tools. For someone like Lamont, it seems to be pretty easy. For me, with limited mechanical skills, it is more of a challenge. Like Scotty, I once had an airhead BMW, and did a lot of my own maintenance on it, but I think I will leave the Spyder maintenance largely to the dealer.

Hope this helps with your decision. The Spyder is the coolest machine on the road right now, in my opinion. :thumbup:

Bruce

retread
04-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Is the MSF trike class available in WA? If it is, take it, that should take care of the trike endorsement. Abate is working on one here in IN, but they aren't sure when it'll be ready.

john

NancysToy
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Is the MSF trike class available in WA? If it is, take it, that should take care of the trike endorsement. Abate is working on one here in IN, but they aren't sure when it'll be ready.

john
My understanding, when I talked to the MSF folks in January, was that their course is still in the prep stages, and is not yet being offered. They thought maybe later this year, but weren't absolutely sure it would happen, as it has been delayed before. Michigan is supposed to develop and offer a separate test, by law, but they have never actually done so. Examiners just give a watered down bike test here, but some refuse to test three-wheelers at all. My guess is that WA will just test, unless they teach their own courses. Let us know what they do out your way, Kyle.
-Scotty

kyledye
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM

johnFrom what I was able to glean from the Washington State Dept. of Licensing, there's a trike MSF coming in the middle of June. It's the only one listed and like I mentioned, it's down the road a bit. There's a lot of riding to be done between now and June. I'd be glad to do it on my LT but hey, I'd really like to do it on a yellow Spyder. I've always wanted a yellow motorcycle; it's my favorite color.

I was steering clear of the automatic and thinking of the manual transmission--opinions? It also seems weird for there not to be a brake for the right hand. I suppose you adapt.

It finally hit 70 degrees here today. Angels flapped their wings and dogs yipped for joy. It's been a long time comin'; I'm gonna go find an errand to run.

Seems like a nice bunch of folks here; just like the great people when I had my Concours and the Beemer people, too.

Later!

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA

Dudley
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
From what I was able to glean from the Washington State Dept. of Licensing, there's a trike MSF coming in the middle of June. It's the only one listed and like I mentioned, it's down the road a bit. There's a lot of riding to be done between now and June. I'd be glad to do it on my LT but hey, I'd really like to do it on a yellow Spyder. I've always wanted a yellow motorcycle; it's my favorite color.

I was steering clear of the automatic and thinking of the manual transmission--opinions? It also seems weird for there not to be a brake for the right hand. I suppose you adapt.

It finally hit 70 degrees here today. Angels flapped their wings and dogs yipped for joy. It's been a long time comin'; I'm gonna go find an errand to run.

Seems like a nice bunch of folks here; just like the great people when I had my Concours and the Beemer people, too.

Later!

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA

I got some insurance from GMAC Insurance. You can get their phone from the internet site or message me and I can get it for you. I am paying $500 and change per year, full coverage. I got whatever the minimum limits for California are in San Diego County. I don't know if they sell in WA. When it comes to SE5 or SM5, the SM5 appears to have no issues on the transmission. We have an SE5, that so far has been flawless. We had the "fix" done on it because it was free. It shifted better after that but had had no problems with it before the fix. Many posts on here about the SE5 have probably turned away some potential SE5 buyers, and probably some Spyder buyers in general. I read a lot of them before we purchased the SE5. After over 40 years on 2 wheels, I was just tired of the clutch and 2 wheels. I wanted my wife to learn to ride the Spyder and she is clutch challenged. She is learning how and I am even riding passenger. This is a very easy vehicle to learn to ride. My decision was also based on the believe that there were more happy SE5 owners than there were unhappy ones. Would I buy an SE5 again? Absolutely!

Director
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
From what I was able to glean from the Washington State Dept. of Licensing, there's a trike MSF coming in the middle of June. It's the only one listed and like I mentioned, it's down the road a bit. There's a lot of riding to be done between now and June. I'd be glad to do it on my LT but hey, I'd really like to do it on a yellow Spyder. I've always wanted a yellow motorcycle; it's my favorite color.

Later!

Smilin' Kyle Dye
Gig Harbor, WA

I have the manual transmission version (SM5). I did test ride an SE5, and it was cool, but I prefer a clutch. For me, the lack of a brake lever is not an issue. I adapted pretty quickly to the braking system. For others, it is somewhat problematic.

Bruce