PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

SuperDave_GPS
11-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Can't seem to find a thread for this question, although I'm confident that it's there somewhere.

On my 2016 RT Limited, with the engine running but vehicle is NOT moving, the steering is very stiff to turn until the vehicle begins to move.
Is this normal?
I would have thought that with power/electric steering that the operator should easily be able to move the bars/steering, even with the Spyder NOT moving forward or backward.
(Turns easily enough as soon as there's even a miniscule amount of forward or reverse movement).

Thanks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I can't tell you exactly why it feels this way, just that it is Normal....... IMHO it also drops off quickly the faster you go.... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
:agree: That's the way that they feel... :thumbup:

wyliec
11-07-2016, 01:40 PM
The friction between the tire and the surface it is on is less with movement, which is why the spyder feels easier to turn when rolling.

Peter Aawen
11-07-2016, 06:32 PM
The detail I read about the DPS assistance levels said something along the lines of there being NO assist until the Spyder starts moving, then significant assist up until 40 kph (it was for us Aussies & was stated in kilometres per hour, not miles per hour!) but from there it backed off progressively to avoid over-assisting at speed. And that's pretty much exactly what I've found on my 2013 RT Ltd. ;)

All that ties in with what others have said, no assistance until you start moving is absobloodylutely NORMAL! :thumbup:

Spyderjuice
11-07-2016, 07:55 PM
I agree that it is normal. However I raised the question awhile back that it seems a computer change could allow power steering when sitting still. Some parking lot maneuvers are very hard to do when you can't move. Should be much easier. After you can get moving - no problem.

Chupaca
11-07-2016, 08:07 PM
It is a touchy little thing. I know at times when I push her with the engine running I will feel the DPS working. It may be reading off the ABS sensing the rolling motion. But standing still it does not kick in. At least that's the way my RS acts....:thumbup: now if it stops working you will notice it quickly...:banghead:

rosebelle
11-07-2016, 08:08 PM
My 2009GS/RS kicks in the moment the engine is running. Good for three point turning around when stationery full lock to other full lock.

SpyderAnn01
11-07-2016, 08:41 PM
If you are experiencing hard steering at very low speed you should check your tire pressure. I can always tell when I'm moving a Spyder that needs air in the tires.

JayBros
11-07-2016, 08:45 PM
From my owner's manual, pg 65, you can see the steering assist is related to vehicle speed.

"Dynamic Power Steering(DPS)
The DPS (Dynamic Power Steering)
provides a computer controlled, variable
power assist, achieved by an electric
motor to optimize the amount of
steering effort required by the rider.
The steering assist level is dependent
of the handlebar effort, the steering angle
and the vehicles speed.
When vehicle is in the reverse gear,
power steering assist will decrease as
vehicle speed increases."

SuperDave_GPS
11-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Many thanks to everyone for all your quick replies.
I didn't think there was a problem, but thought I should ask anyway as the electric power steering on my Honda Fit kicks in as soon as the engine is running (yes, I know it's a completely different vehicle).

Thanks again everyone.
You guys are all awesome.

ARtraveler
11-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Glad to see your question was answered. I came on to late to help. :roflblack: