PDA

View Full Version : Broken Nanny or sissy driving?

spyderfish
11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Looking for some info from all riders who tease Nanny.

2013 STS, no farkles to suspension, 17K miles, 230 pounds. Driving style is aggressive, but not foolhardy.

I generally take posted curves 5-10 MPH over the posted speed, body lean is about 75% of maximum. I have broken the rear wheel upon occasion, small fishtail, sensed it and throttled back a bit. But no matter what, Nanny has never taken over in any situation, ever.

My question, is it possible that Nanny is broken, or am I just driving too cautiously and really not even close to the limit? I feel like I am pretty close to the point of liftoff, but do not believe that wheels have ever left the road.

Is there a way to test Nanny without being in peril, if Nanny is not working? This is not a major concern, it just seems kinda strange to me. Any ideas or experience on this situation appreciated.

Thanks,

Spyderfish

Warlock
11-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Looking for some info from all riders who tease Nanny.

2013 STS, no farkles to suspension, 17K miles, 230 pounds. Driving style is aggressive, but not foolhardy.

I generally take posted curves 5-10 MPH over the posted speed, body lean is about 75% of maximum. I have broken the rear wheel upon occasion, small fishtail, sensed it and throttled back a bit. But no matter what, Nanny has never taken over in any situation, ever.

My question, is it possible that Nanny is broken, or am I just driving too cautiously and really not even close to the limit? I feel like I am pretty close to the point of liftoff, but do not believe that wheels have ever left the road.

Is there a way to test Nanny without being in peril, if Nanny is not working? This is not a major concern, it just seems kinda strange to me. Any ideas or experience on this situation appreciated.

Thanks,

Spyderfish

Just tried mine out last week. Went around a curve fast enough to raise one of the front wheel. Nanny kicked in and did it's job. Might want to see if you can do a burn out while fish tailing it.
David

Bob Denman
11-07-2016, 11:08 AM
If you need her help: she's always watching... :shocked:

On the bright side: you'll probably ride smooth enough that she's willing to let you keep on doing; what you've already been doing! :thumbup:

JimVonBaden
11-07-2016, 11:17 AM
It is possible it is working and you just don't recognize the feeling. :dontknow:

Having been a two wheel rider all my life I can feel when something changes very well. I was riding to work this morning and took a sharp corner hard enough to cause the traction control on the rear to kick in. Interesting feeling, like a slight slip on wet pavement.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-07-2016, 11:23 AM
I also drive on the edge :lecturef_smilie: if I'm in the " twisties " ( when it's dry :clap:) . I have annoyed Ms. Nanny frequently, exactly what triggers Her I'm not positive about...... I had 185/50-15 Toyo T1R's on the front ( 2014 RT ) and they stuck like glue....now I have General Altimax RT43 in 175/65-15's on the front and I don't trigger Her as often ...... I still have a Michelin Hydro-edge 215/60-15 on the rear for both types of front tires so this isn't a factor......I'm fairly sure I know how to drive my Spyder near it's limits in smooth controlled fashion............Soooooo - Tires can play a part and your ability can play a part....... Do you ride with other Spyders ???.... Do you think the opr's are above avg...... What I think is really important is - do you feel SAFE with your SPEED....and are you ENJOYING yourself ....... Have fun, stay SAFE ....... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
11-07-2016, 12:03 PM
If you are judging the nanny on the twisties...and the nanny and I go round and round... I find she is not bothered till I get to double or close to double the speed indicated for that corner. May not be the same on all models, mine is an RS with modified suspension, but even the wife asks why I hit the brakes...:hun: She also does not like powering out of a corner especially on a uphill curve and will retard the ignition making it sound like I just dropped a cylinder. If you have a manual there are ways to slip passed nanny a bit on these occasions. You need only to ryde where you are comfortable and not push to find out where nanny is lurking but know she is there. If she fails you will more than likely not be moving due to warning light, orange screens and total shut downs...ryde safe...:thumbup:

billybovine
11-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Broken Nanny or sissy driving?

I vote for sissy driving. :roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
11-07-2016, 01:27 PM
I don't think 5-10 MPH over the curve's suggested speed (limit?) is enough to wake her up. I've gone 20-30 MPH over and had no problems. I've only noticed Nanny once in a fast curve when I turned too sharply; suddenly the power dropped and I felt the right front wheel hit the ground.

Bob Denman
11-07-2016, 01:32 PM
We all have our favorite little spots, where we go to "test things out"...
I've got a 20 mph downhill right-hander, that the bike used to downshift into fourth for...
I was taking it comfortably at 37 to 38 mph; but braking down from 55 mph for it
Today: I rolled into it slower (NO braking), and it stayed in 6th gear, at 40 mph! :yes:

The key to avoid getting her attention: smooooothnesss! :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
11-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Find a parking lot and get one of the wheels off the ground. If the nanny doesn't kick in, it might be broke.

Nanny is two fold: A yaw sensor detects how hard you are cornering and will throttle back and/or it monitors wheel speed so that if one of them suddenly changes (wheel off the ground) it will throttle back. In either extreme cases, it can also apply the brakes.

A little air time on a front wheel will tell you pretty quickly. Be careful.

4 MARIE
11-07-2016, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Doc Humphreys;1199093]Find a parking lot and get one of the wheels off the ground. If the nanny doesn't kick in, it might be broke.

Nanny is two fold: A yaw sensor detects how hard you are cornering and will throttle back and/or it monitors wheel speed so that if one of them suddenly changes (wheel off the ground) it will throttle back. In either extreme cases, it can also apply the brakes.

A little air time on a front wheel will tell you pretty quickly. Be careful.[/QUOT and to find out if your airplane will fly on one engine, just shut one off in flight. Because I outgrew
ryding "over my head" several years ago, I hope I never involve "nanny". If I DO, it probably means I'm being chased.

ARtraveler
11-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I have had nanny kick in twice when involved in hydroplaning. Curves up to 20+ over posted, do not seem to raise her eyebrows. If you watch all the lights on the boot up process they should confirm that "nanny" is in the background.

TexAmRider
11-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Go to fast over a bumpy rail road crossing. She will kick in pretty quick !! Did it in Nebraska on a 70 MPH highway. :yikes:

Grandpot
11-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Nanny turns off as soon as things are back to normal. She might be coming on, but you are too busy at the moment to see the indicator on the dash. By the time you look, it's over.

Peter Aawen
11-07-2016, 05:47 PM
The Nanny watches for all sorts of things: amongst other things, that yaw&roll sensor checks for front wheel skids, tail slides, or toppling, wheel lifts etc; variations in front/rear or side to side front wheel speeds reveal slips & potential loss of control; excessive steering angles for the speed you are travelling at reveal potential slips &/or flips; savage braking levels suggest you were going too fast for the corner or want to stop NOW for whatever reason; savage throttle position changes can reveal all sorts of stuff; & I'm sure there are heaps more.... And she can control all sorts of things too, individual or combined wheel braking, steering assistance, engine throttle settings, even the engine ignition pulses - and if it's only ONE of those things that has upset her or ONE of those things she adds a bit of control to, she won't necessarily feel particularly intrusive or even light up the VSS warning light on the dash if she intervenes, or if she does it's only for a nano-second!! And if any part of what she watches over or acts upon fails, she'll put your Spyder into Limp Home Mode!! Bosch did a bloody fantastic job on this one! :thumbup: Which means that if you aren't in Limp Home Mode, the Nanny is alert & watching over you!!

As for your ryding style, by ryding smoothly with gentle & smooth control inputs, it's likely to take a whole LOT of speed for her to intervene on cornering!! Lifting wheels don't necessarily mean Nanny intervention must be coming if your steering angle, throttle control, braking, & the yaw sensor all report back that you are still within 'safe' parameters, & by the way, the parameters have a LARGE safety margin & if you don't panic, you'd generally hafta work bloody hard to exceed her capabilities for recovery (just don't hit anything or run off the road while you're doing it!!)

As others have said, 5-10 or even 10-20mph above the posted limit on some corners is unlikely to get her the least bit upset. These Spyders are far more stable & capable than most 2 wheel machines!! So yeah, as far as that's concerned, some might call it 'sissy riding' but I'd prefer to call it 'controlled & skilled' riding!! The real skill comes in knowing YOUR limits & ryding within them all the time, even if you do 'ride aggressively' or practice pushing the envelope a little every now & then or maybe all the time - but if you haven't felt/heard/seen her intervene yet, your ryding style is obviously smooth enough & skilled enough to push a bit harder than you currently do, IF it's warranted & you really want to, but there's no need if you are happy..... So don't feel as tho anyone is trying to pressure you into working harder to wake the Nanny up, that's just sucker bait for fools!! :sour:

You should Ryde your ride & enjoy it, while I'll ryde mine! :thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
11-07-2016, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=4 MARIE;1199098][QUOTE=Doc Humphreys;1199093]Find a parking lot and get one of the wheels off the ground. If the nanny doesn't kick in, it might be broke.

A little air time on a front wheel will tell you pretty quickly. Be careful.[/QUOT and to find out if your airplane will fly on one engine, just shut one off in flight. Because I outgrew
ryding "over my head" several years ago, I hope I never involve "nanny". If I DO, it probably means I'm being chased.

First thing I did when we got the RT in 2014 was take it to a parking lot and learn how the nanny worked, how it felt, what to expect in a situation if it kicked in. I would much rather know what the experience was and what parameters it would occur in a controlled environment away from other drivers. That just seemed the right thing to do. I do not like surprises and there are enough cager idiots out there for me to not know my equipment.