PDA

View Full Version : Primary Chain on Spyder RT SE5?

solidgranite
11-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Is there a "primary chain" on the Spyder RT SE5? I know most "conventional" bikes have a primary chain, and I'm thinking that the noise from the front of my Spyder might be coming from a loose primary chain. On a lot of bikes, there's a cover to be removed, then adjustments can be made to tighten up the primary chain. Does the Spyder RT SE5 have a set up like this? I'm taking it to my local Can Am dealer on Monday for other things, but I need to know what I'm talking about regarding tightening the primary chain, or they'll think I'm an idiot, and charge me triple for everything!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-05-2016, 01:50 PM
If someone doesn't tell you ( I can't ) look at a parts Fiche' from one of the parts sellers ........... Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
11-05-2016, 03:54 PM
According to what I read on a parts diagram for a 2012 the primary drive is gear driven. The only chain I see drives the camshafts.

solidgranite
11-07-2016, 02:19 PM
If someone doesn't tell you ( I can't ) look at a parts Fiche' from one of the parts sellers ........... Mike :thumbup:

That would be a good idea if I had any concept of what I'm supposed to be looking for...LOL Doesn't matter now because I dropped the trike off at the Can Am dealer this morning. After a very short test ride, the service tech said it was "probably" a sprocket failure, and possibly the splined shaft that accompanies it. Hopefully NOT a bearing or anything more serious... I'll get the results of their "examination" Tuesday or Wednesday.

solidgranite
11-07-2016, 02:22 PM
According to what I read on a parts diagram for a 2012 the primary drive is gear driven. The only chain I see drives the camshafts.

My "research" came up with the same conclusion...no primary chain...gears and sprokets instead. I'll find out when the dealer's service tech gives me the results of his examination.