PDA

View Full Version : USES FOR THE CB PTT BUTTON

tmcquain
11-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Just curious, but has anyone found any use for this button other than for a CB. I will never use a CB. So I was thinking it would be good for a garage door opener. Don't know how to do it, wire it, or even if it's possible.
But just thought it might be a good idea.

Any Ideas ??

OverHillAndDale
11-04-2016, 02:58 PM
On previous bikes, I've run wires from a garage door opener to waterproof buttons I've installed. Now I use an app on my phone.

If you try to wire using the PTT switch, you'll have to CAREFULLY solder 2 wires to the small patterned connectors on the garage door opener circuit board. Very little copper, lots of parts that can be damaged by too much heat. Conceptually it's very easy to do.

If you look at the installation instructions for the CB module, it looks like the connector might be under the glovebox, but that's just a guess.

http://instructions.brp.com/content/instruction-sheet/en_CA/e-instruction-details.html#articleNo=kA0a0000000h3EnCAI&lang=en_CA&title=ROADSTER%20KIT%20-%20CB%20and%20Communication%20System&rel_part_number=219400611

Bob Denman
11-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Mine has never worked right anyway... :banghead:
I NEVER push it; yet the Missus never stops talking!! :gaah:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Just curious, but has anyone found any use for this button other than for a CB. I will never use a CB. So I was thinking it would be good for a garage door opener. Don't know how to do it, wire it, or even if it's possible.
But just thought it might be a good idea.

Any Ideas ??
Not practical. The PTT does not connect directly to any wires on the bike. The PTT button activates a contact on a printed circuit board. The circuit board is a CANBUS processor and sends a digital signal to the audio unit when you press the PTT button. If you want to do microsurgery on the circuit board you can tap into to it to connect to the switched traces on the PCB and then make use of the PTT. But if your left switch module ever craps out during the warranty period you'll most likely be out $400 since you mucked with the internals of it.

Fat Baxter
11-04-2016, 11:18 PM
I use it to fire the nose-mounted minigun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-pws7V3c_w.

DJFaninTN
11-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Mine has never worked right anyway... :banghead:
I NEVER push it; yet the Missus never stops talking!! :gaah:

you need the ejection seat option Bob.

Bob Denman
11-05-2016, 09:23 AM
:D I bought the Limited; thinking that it had that...
Now I find out that it's only part of the Un-limited package... :banghead:

finless
11-05-2016, 10:55 AM
The PTT button connects to the left grip controller which is then connected to the CAN buss.
You can in fact disconnect it. It is not on a circuit board.
It has a small ribbon cable attached to it that then runs to the circuit board.
You can cut this ribbon cable and carefully solder wires to it for what you need.

I did not take this picture but this is from someone that did exactly that.

Bob

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139758&d=1478361297

Bob Denman
11-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Bob! :thumbup:
That button would make for a pretty neat way to get my garage door opener in play! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-05-2016, 11:45 AM
The PTT button connects to the left grip controller which is then connected to the CAN buss.
You can cut this ribbon cable and carefully solder wires to it for what you need.

Bob

]
I stand corrected.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

tmcquain
11-08-2016, 01:08 PM
I figured it wouldn't be as easy as I had hoped for....thanks for the discussion !

JimVonBaden
11-08-2016, 01:19 PM

Bob

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139758&d=1478361297

I wondered what that button was for.

I have it on my wife's ST-S.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S/Heated%20Grips%206.jpg

Bob Denman
11-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Good Luck; please let us know how this all works out! :thumbup:
And if you can: please post a video of it! :D

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2016, 12:38 AM
My project this weekend is to swap the PTT and HORN buttons. I am constantly hitting the horn button in the stock location and cant find it when I do need it. If I put it where the PTT button is, I will have no trouble finding it. Hoping its a straight forward swap.
Most likely not. At least you shouldn't try to swap the functions of each to the other button. The horn button handles up to 10 amps or so. The PTT button handles milliamps at best. Running the horn circuit through the PTT button will undoubtedly burn up the PTT button contacts. Swapping the physical buttons may be a possibility but it would most likely require a lot of physical alteration of the switch assembly.

bigbadbrucie
11-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Most likely not. At least you shouldn't try to swap the functions of each to the other button. The horn button handles up to 10 amps or so. The PTT button handles milliamps at best. Running the horn circuit through the PTT button will undoubtedly burn up the PTT button contacts. Swapping the physical buttons may be a possibility but it would most likely require a lot of physical alteration of the switch assembly.
I'm certaily not an auto electrician, but i would think that if the PTT button only activated a relay the difference in amperage should not be a concern, or am i being to simplistic.

JimVonBaden
11-10-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm certaily not an auto electrician, but i would think that if the PTT button only activated a relay the difference in amperage should not be a concern, or am i being to simplistic.
If that is the case, it would just be a signal voltage, no problem.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Just make sure the relay has a low pull-in current load. Even then it might be a bit high for the PTT since all it does is close a circuit on a printed circuit board. You could try it and see what happens.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
I studied the wiring diagram but the PTT circuit is not on it. I was hoping to just swap the switch locations, but that might not be possible. I will keep working on it. If I figure out a way, I will let you know. Why cant they make it a simple switch.
It's not on the wiring diagram since it does not connect to anything on the wiring diagram. It's in the table below the wiring diagram for all the switch functions of the left multi-switch that are part of the CANbus processor. All the controls of the radio are CANbus signals.

JimVonBaden
11-10-2016, 08:05 PM
It is easy enough to check. Look at the switch. If it is connected by the printed flexible ribbon, it is carrying only a signal voltage.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/JimVonBaden2000/JVB%20Productions/2013%20Spyder%20ST-S/Heated%20Grips%206.jpg

djron
08-27-2020, 09:57 AM
you seem to know about this stuff. I just got a sena 50 r thinking on getting the cb radio adapter. I want to hook up my cb on the bike to it. can it be done

ARtraveler
08-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Last post on this thread 11/2016.

PinkRosePetal
08-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Although it's an old thread it may be useful to somebody; this can be done, I've done a few non OEM cb installs. Your soldering needs to be very good! The ribbon cable can be cut and the surface plastic scraped away to reveal the copper tracks. The problem is that one track is very thin and fragile and it will break off if the soldered wire is pulled, even lightly. The solution is to solder a very light wire to the tracks - I use fuse wire - then trap the soldered joint between two small pieces of rubber - superglue the rubber pieces and bring them together around the soldered joint taking care not to glue your fingers to the whole thing! Once this is done you can now solder fine cables the the fuse wire tails. Take the small cables and glue them to somewhere convenient to anchor them. Once you've done that you can route the cables out of the handle bars. If your cable is sizeable you may need to make a small notch in the edge of the plastic so as not to pinch the cable as the switch assembly is tightened closed.

In my case I use the PTT switch to ground a cable from a relay coil so the relay caries the active load for whatever device I switch using the PTT button.