PDA

View Full Version : Trailer recall

retread
11-04-2016, 01:43 PM
I just got a notice from Harbor Freight, a recall on several trailers, including the Tag Along. It seems the lights "may not illuminate the license plate properly, increasing the risk of a crash." Trailers sold from January '06 to April '16. Anybody else?
They included a post card to send in, and are replacing the light kit free of charge.

john

Chupaca
11-04-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm not seeing the lack of light to the license plate causing an accident...:hun: but really nice that they are sending out new lighting..:thumbup:

retread
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM
It's a government -NHTSA recall number 16V-597, I guess somebody there didn't have enough to do.

john

Gray Ghost
11-05-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm not seeing the lack of light to the license plate causing an accident...:hun: but really nice that they are sending out new lighting..:thumbup:

The OP didn't quite get the whole message in his post. "Item number 93861 may have an incorrectly positioned rear lamp bracket that may not illuminate the license plate. Item number 69624 may have lenses that are not compliant. It the trailer lights fail to comply with the standard, the trailer may be less visible to other drivers, increasing the risk of a crash."

Two light kits are involved in the recall and the letter lists which trailers had which kits. The kit with the license plate issue was sold between Jan 06 and Apr 16. The one with the non-compliant lenses was sold between Jan 13 and Apr 16.

If you have a Harbor Freight trailer and didn't get the letter, look on the warning label/load information label on the left side of the trailer tongue. You should be able to find the item number on the right side of the label.

Light kit 93861 was used on item numbers 90154, 42708, 90153, 66771, 42709, and 94564. Light kit 69624 was used on item numbers 62170, 62209, 61730, and 69897. The customer service number for Harbor Freight is 800-444-3353. The NHTSA recall number is 16V-597.

JimVonBaden
11-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Old news. I got the recall on the lights early last year. I have the new lights on my trailer.

Bob Denman
11-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Maybe I'm just am not smart enough, to understand the need for this... :dontknow:
Adding lights to the backs of stuff, is what most of us do for fun!
Was a recall really needed? Give me a trailer; I'll have it looking like a Christmas Tree, in no time! :thumbup:

Gray Ghost
11-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Old news. I got the recall on the lights early last year. I have the new lights on my trailer.

Since the letter from the NHTSA to Harbor Freight directing the recall was only dated Sep 13, 2016 I have some doubts that you got the recall early last year. But even if you did, some of us did not and some of those could possibly use a new set of lights for their trailer and might not receive the letter.

Maybe I'm just am not smart enough, to understand the need for this... :dontknow:
Adding lights to the backs of stuff, is what most of us do for fun!
Was a recall really needed? Give me a trailer; I'll have it looking like a Christmas Tree, in no time! :thumbup:

The need for it is because once the NHTSA initiates the recall, the manufacturer is required to notify customers. I have had mine several years now, but I do believe the first thing I did was change the lights. Other folks might benefit from getting new lights though.

JimVonBaden
11-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Since the letter from the NHTSA to Harbor Freight directing the recall was only dated Sep 13, 2016 I have some doubts that you got the recall early last year. But even if you did, some of us did not and some of those could possibly use a new set of lights for their trailer and might not receive the letter.

The need for it is because once the NHTSA initiates the recall, the manufacturer is required to notify customers. I have had mine several years now, but I do believe the first thing I did was change the lights. Other folks might benefit from getting new lights though.
Maybe YOUR letter is from then, mine was about a year ago!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About-NHTSA/Press-Releases/nhtsa_harbor_freight_penalty_12092015

Gray Ghost
11-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Maybe YOUR letter is from then, mine was about a year ago!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About-NHTSA/Press-Releases/nhtsa_harbor_freight_penalty_12092015

The document you linked to was legal actions against Harbor Freight for not complying with federal rules. The actual letter issued by NHTSA to Harbor Freight assigning recall number 16V-597 was signed Sep 2016.

JimVonBaden
11-06-2016, 09:33 AM
The document you linked to was legal actions against Harbor Freight for not complying with federal rules. The actual letter issued by NHTSA to Harbor Freight assigning recall number 16V-597 was signed Sep 2016.
And yet, my recall on the lights was a a year ago!

From the link: "After inquiries from NHTSA, Harbor Freight Tools acknowledged in October 2014 that certain light kits it imported and sold did not include rear side-marker lamps to improve night visibility, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The company did not indicate its willingness to issue a recall until December 16, 2014, and did not actually file notice of the recall until February 26, 2015. The Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires companies to issue a recall within five days of discovering a safety defect or noncompliance with Federal safety standards.In addition, the company notified owners of the recall 21 days later than is required under NHTSA recall regulations, and filed its first quarterly report on recall completion 18 days late."

Bob Denman
11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
The OP mentioned license plate illumination, and you're talking about side marker lights...
Could we have two separate issues at play here? :dontknow:

Gray Ghost
11-07-2016, 10:36 PM
The OP mentioned license plate illumination, and you're talking about side marker lights...
Could we have two separate issues at play here? :dontknow:

The letter that Harbor Freight just sent out referenced both the license plate and the side marker lights. In my post I quoted from the letter how to determine which light kit was sent with which trailers.

The OP and I both recently got letters from Harbor Freight. We were attempting to pass on information that might be helpful to someone who has one of those trailers.

Bob Denman
11-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:
John just didn't mention the side marker lights in his post: got it! :D