PDA

View Full Version : In spite of all the "NEGATIVE" posts on the SE5

strats
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I have a late 08 built SE5 and have never had a problem. She is only 2 months old but already has 6500 kilometers on the clock, 1000 of those done last weekend on anything from smooth highway to rough backroads, and sunshine to torretial downpour.
Oh, and I ride hard, usually with a passenger...

NOT ALL SE5's ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU PROBLEMS

These are machines, machines break down, thats just an unfortunate fact. I am sorry for those that have problems from day one but their are "GOOD" SE5's out there, we just seem to hear about the bad ones on this forum.:2thumbs:

Don in E Texas
04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
:agree:
Don

'08 SE5 Red

zzneonzz
04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
:agree:

SE5 since Aug 08 6800 miles.

Donzo
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Its good to hear from a happy SE5 owner! You know there are alot out there....but, when you have problems you are much more likely to discuss on a forum - Ryde on:spyder:!

Dudley
04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Good to hear. 7000 miles since 11-18-08. All is well with this 2008 SE5 Spyder! Going for 25,000 miles the first year. We'll see.

Extracool
04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
My wife and I love our SE5 and my only complaint is the rear shock needs to be better, more travel, softer ride riding double without bottoming out, any suggestions?Going up on the tension just makes the ride harder. The SE5 shift could not be any better, no way a manual could be downshifted in a panic stop as fast as the auto down shift, if you keep the throttle on when upshifting, could not have a better shift. Will not let you upshift if you do not have enough rpm's, smart transmission, love it.:2thumbs:

Degaman
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, include me in the list of SE5 owners that HAVE experienced problems; from overheating to sticking in one gear or another to not fully engaging auto-clutch at a stop.

Fortunately, the most aggravating problems (failing to change gears and creeping at a stop) seem to have been cured with the gear position sensor replacement. The other problems including a persistent backfire pale in comparison, and are an afterthought.

As long as my spyder continues to shift without hanging in gear, I'm a happy camper :O).

Dudley
04-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I did something to our SE5 2 weeks ago that is too hard for anyone to believe to post here. Send me an email and I will tell you. It is very simple, but may constitute a risk some may not want to take. It stopped the crawl, rough shifting (even after the fix), so far no oil leaking out of the air filter box (1000 miles later), has more power in top end, and engine runs quieter.

zzneonzz
04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The other problems including a persistent backfire pale in comparison

This backfiring is most likely due to a leaking exhaust gasket (covered under waranty) Happens on a lot of SM5 from what i hear.

bjt
04-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I did something to our SE5 2 weeks ago that is too hard for anyone to believe to post here. Send me an email and I will tell you. It is very simple, but may constitute a risk some may not want to take. It stopped the crawl, rough shifting (even after the fix), so far no oil leaking out of the air filter box (1000 miles later), has more power in top end, and engine runs quieter.

Tease.... :popcorn:

strats
04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Aint it funny that no matter what you do to post something good about an SE5, people have still got to "hijack" the thread and post about problems... :banghead:

Degaman
04-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Well, phooey on me for shedding a different light! I suppose all of the 'positive' comments in the 'SE5 Trouble' topics were hijacking those threads as well...

Don in E Texas
04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Degaman, for you post.....by stating a problem plus adding what fixed it, you are providing positive help to :spyder2: owners --- they may not have problems now, but if they do - the type of post you made will be remembered as helpful.

JMHO

don

Motza
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I love my SE5 have had no problems at all... knock on wood with a Spyder on top! :spyder2:

strats
04-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Well, phooey on me for shedding a different light! I suppose all of the 'positive' comments in the 'SE5 Trouble' topics were hijacking those threads as well...

Nah, I just think you have missed the point. There are a million posts on this forum on all the negatives of SE5's... I was just starting one so people who come here looking for advice could see that not all SE5's are plagued with problems. If I had read all of the threads pointing out problems I would probably have a clutch in my left hand also, I just figured that riding one of the most technically advanced vehicles on the road, why have it with "ancient" clutch activation fitted.:dontknow:

bone crusher
04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
The SE5 is a fine bike, but it does have more problems than the SM5 and WE ALL hope that BRP works hard to resolve the issues. People aren't out to pick on the riders of the SE5s..more-so to shed light to those curious about buying that the SE5, as of now, has more of a track record for problems...any dealership will agree with this...the fact is that the SE5 is costing BRP more money in repair fees...hence the increase in the extended warranty programs.

No matter which bike you have, they're both a ton of fun. I live in MD and have only seen one other Spyder on the road! Although I don't want the area to be full of them, it'd be nice to see other Spyderryders around...whether they be on a SE5 or SM5...who cares...as long as they work, that is all that matters!! ;)

aubierules
04-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Aint it funny that no matter what you do to post something good about an SE5, people have still got to "hijack" the thread and post about problems... :banghead:
there are always 2 sides to the coin.....problems no problems....its not hijacking to give your negative experiences...:rolleyes:

Tom in NM
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I am a new SE5 Spyder owner and I love it.

It is a marvel and I cannot believe how much fun I am having with it. I am so glad I have a full face helmet so people cannot see me with my tongue hanging out of that big loopy smile plastered on my face.

When I walk out into a parking lot and see it sitting there 'waiting' for me - I get this feeling that I am about to get on a piece of the future - and that grin starts.

To be honest, I never really cared for any of the other Trikes I have seen. Just not my cup of tea. But, BRP sure hit a home run with me. I am so happy that I am alive and able to drive this thing - right now.

I know others have had some problems with their SE5s, well on the planet I live on, nothing is 100% perfect. I am not. Nothing I have ever done is. But I do love the challenge of over coming obstacles and appreciate the gifts that doing so confers. Well, if problems ever do pop up - they will get fixed.

Spyders are not for everybody - neither are tube tops, Brussels Sprouts, or Nobel Prizes. But if you like the road, wind, and going places in all sorts of weather - I recommend you get to know one of these bikes, they have so much to offer. And, it just keeps getting better - it is amazing.

Tom

Dudley
04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I am a new SE5 Spyder owner and I love it.

It is a marvel and I cannot believe how much fun I am having with it. I am so glad I have a full face helmet so people cannot see me with my tongue hanging out of that big loopy smile plastered on my face.

When I walk out into a parking lot and see it sitting there 'waiting' for me - I get this feeling that I am about to get on a piece of the future - and that grin starts.

To be honest, I never really cared for any of the other Trikes I have seen. Just not my cup of tea. But, BRP sure hit a home run with me. I am so happy that I am alive and able to drive this thing - right now.

I know others have had some problems with their SE5s, well on the planet I live on, nothing is 100% perfect. I am not. Nothing I have ever done is. But I do love the challenge of over coming obstacles and appreciate the gifts that doing so confers. Well, if problems ever do pop up - they will get fixed.

Spyders are not for everybody - neither are tube tops, Brussels Sprouts, or Nobel Prizes. But if you like the road, wind, and going places in all sorts of weather - I recommend you get to know one of these bikes, they have so much to offer. And, it just keeps getting better - it is amazing.

Tom

:agree::agree::agree::agree::clap::2thumbs::yes::f irstplace::coffee::bowdown:

What else can be said! That is a super review!

Spyderman55
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I've had no problems other than the squeaky brakes (corrected at N/C under waranty) since I drove it off the showroom floor in New Hampshire and drove it home to California (in 5 days). Daily 80-mile roundtrip commute to work, most times above 75mph. Just went over 9000 miles: engine is sweet, tranny smooth, steering precise and tires look new.

Really pleased with my purchase. Just wish they'd stop snapping pictures of me on the freeway.

opticat
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
These are machines, machines break down, thats just an unfortunate fact. I am sorry for those that have problems from day one but their are "GOOD" SE5's out there, we just seem to hear about the bad ones on this forum.:2thumbs:

Forums are kind of like the news. You never hear a reporter say something like, "There were 318 successful landings at Orlando International today!". It is most likely that the "bad" one will be on the 6:00 news.

Sure there are some great SEs out there. And that's nice to hear. But my feelings go out to those (one of which used to be me) who are having problems and are posting in hope of finding some answers.