PDA

View Full Version : Hit Bottom-----

Sara
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
------when riding down a hill at about 50mph, there was a sharp rise at the bottom, up the other side----When I hit the bottom and immediately started up, the bottom of the Spyder dragged on the street and bounced at the bottom----got it home and coundn't see anything wrong---ran fine----and I'm wondering if the front shocks need to be tightened up-----I haven't changed them yet....????----SSSS

bone crusher
04-04-2009, 10:44 PM
------when riding down a hill at about 50mph, there was a sharp rise at the bottom, up the other side----When I hit the bottom and immediately started up, the bottom of the Spyder dragged on the street and bounced at the bottom----got it home and coundn't see anything wrong---ran fine----and I'm wondering if the front shocks need to be tightened up-----I haven't changed them yet....????----SSSS

Your factory default is set at 3/5 on your front shocks. Unless you have a lot of weight on your bike, you should be fine with that setting. I bumped mine up to 4 but I weigh about 235...you have to consider what you bottomed out on. I think the clearance is only about 4 inches...if you are moving fast, you will scrape the ground on a quick change of grade...

Take a look at the front 'scoop' of your bike...it's pretty close to the ground...stiffer shock setting might help, but again, unless the bike has a lot of weight on it, you should be fine...

Dudley
04-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Not too sure if even the tightest shock adjustment will help that kind of a road situation. It's just one of those effects that are caused by such a sudden change in travel, gravity takes you down. I have scraped a couple of times just getting off on the shoulder because of going too fast and a drop from surfaced shoulder to the dirt. Also in getting off into rutted paths to get to an overlook on S1 from Ocotillo I failed to clear enough because of the uneven surface, and I was going a crawl. Also, the tubular beam on the underside is very strong. If it doesn't appear to be bent, you should be OK. Glad you and the Spyder are doing well. You had a tough start. Hope your trip along the coast goes well. My wife and I are heading for Nova Scotia in July on our Spyder. Returning by way of Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, etc., Seattle, then home. I am getting AAA just as an extra precaution. I have the Western Extended Warranty plan also, so I should be good to go. If it breaks and BRP won't fix, they fix.

NancysToy
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Not too sure if even the tightest shock adjustment will help that kind of a road situation. It's just one of those effects that are caused by such a sudden change in travel, gravity takes you down. I have scraped a couple of times just getting off on the shoulder because of going too fast and a drop from surfaced shoulder to the dirt. Also in getting off into rutted paths to get to an overlook on S1 from Ocotillo I failed to clear enough because of the uneven surface, and I was going a crawl. Also, the tubular beam on the underside is very strong. If it doesn't appear to be bent, you should be OK. Glad you and the Spyder are doing well. You had a tough start. Hope your trip along the coast goes well. My wife and I are heading for Nova Scotia in July on our Spyder. Returning by way of Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, etc., Seattle, then home. I am getting AAA just as an extra precaution. I have the Western Extended Warranty plan also, so I should be good to go. If it breaks and BRP won't fix, they fix.
Dudley, if you end up near Michigan on your journey, shout. I'd love to meet you in person. Don't know if you'll be connected in your travels, but PM or email me and we can exchange phone numbers.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Pin it to your wall. We'll be in MI. I'll email you.

ptoemmes
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Reminds me of something stoopid I did on a snowmobile during a company-department outing.

Started at the top of a long hill with moderate slope racing my boss. We were wearing the head-to-toe safety "uniform".

Too late as my eyes saw a hidden sharp rise at the bottom.

The last thing I saw before I got airborne and separarted from the snowmobile was 45 mph.

People tell me they watched in amazement...now I have never been in active duty military much less ever jumped out of an perfectly good airplane, but I did take the ground course for learning how to land - PLF = Parachute Landing Fall - and amazingly that's what came into my mind.

So after landing and rolling for what seemed an eternity I popped up with nothing broken or twisted - gave the two raised fists over head pump and a loud whoop - jogged on over to the snowmobile about 20 yards away, fired her up - no damage to her either - and NEVER DID THAT AGAIN.

:pray:

Pete

smokster
04-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Reminds me of something stoopid I did on a snowmobile during a company-department outing.

Started at the top of a long hill with moderate slope racing my boss. We were wearing the head-to-toe safety "uniform".

Too late as my eyes saw a hidden sharp rise at the bottom.

The last thinkg I saw before I got airborne and separarted from the snowmobile was 45 mph.

People tell me they watched in amazement...now I have never been in active duty military much less ever jumped out of an perfectly good airplane, but I did take the ground course for learning how to land - PLF = Parachute Landing Fall - and amazingly that's what came into my mind.

So after landing and rolling for what seemed an eternity I popped up with nothing broken or twisted - gave the two raised fists over head pump and a loud whoop - jogged on over the the sowmobile about 20 yards away, fired her up - no damage to her either - and NEVER DID THAT AGAIN.

:pray:

Pete
This happened to me on a snowmobile. You never forget those things.

Director
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Dudley, if you are cutting through southern Ontario to hook up with Michigan on your way west after visiting Niagara Falls, let me know. Maybe we can meet up at least long enough for a coffee on the road. :thumbup:

Bruce

Sara
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
--------I don't see any damage to the front or underneath----will just plan on a slower decline when approaching the "V"----SSSS

Dudley
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
--------I don't see any damage to the front or underneath----will just plan on a slower decline when approaching the "V"----SSSS

So many lessons to learn on these darn things. But my wife and I enjoy every minute. Maybe one day wife and I can get together with you for burgers and fries. You were at the Meet and Eat, but have no idea who you were.

Dudley
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Dudley, if you are cutting through southern Ontario to hook up with Michigan on your way west after visiting Niagara Falls, let me know. Maybe we can meet up at least long enough for a coffee on the road. :thumbup:

Bruce

You're on.

NancysToy
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
...now I have never been in active duty military much less ever jumped out of an perfectly good airplane, but I did take the ground course for learning how to land - PLF = Parachute Landing Fall - and amazingly that's what came into my mind.
Wow, did that bring back memories. I have jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Back then we were mostly jumping modified military chutes, none of this "flying wing" stuff they have now. A military rag has the glide aspect of a rock. We spent hours doing PLFs off of gradually higher platforms. I wonder if I would still have the programming, or the presence of mind, to do one under your circumstances. :yikes:
-Scotty