PDA

View Full Version : How Long Is Yours?

trikerbiker645
10-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Hello trailer towing people.......;) I was just wondering for you people that are pulling trailers other than BRP's how long is your trailers tongue from the axle to the hitch ball. I looked at one that was for sale and it seemed long but only measured 1 1/2 times the width which I measured from center of wheels. Width was 42" tongue was 63". Normal I guess as to trailer sites? Better handling longer? Shorter? Any issues with the length you have, or wish yours was longer or shorter. Thanks for any replies in advance. safe riding!

Bfromla
10-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Hello trailer towing people.......;) I was just wondering for you people that are pulling trailers other than BRP's how long is your trailers tongue from the axle to the hitch ball. I looked at one that was for sale and it seemed long but only measured 1 1/2 times the width which I measured from center of wheels. Width was 42" tongue was 63". Normal I guess? Better handling longer? Shorter? Thanks for any replies in advance. safe riding!
This may help:
http://trailersauce.com/information/draw-bar-design/trailer-drawbar-design-function/

trikerbiker645
10-31-2016, 09:46 AM
BfromLA, Thanks for the link, great info and I saved the link. But maybe i didn't post correctly what I really wanted to know. I was hoping to get actual owner experiences with their non-BRP trailers as far as what their tongue length [axle to ball] and width [center of wheel to wheel] is and if they are happy with the handling etc. with the way their trailer is set up. What say you trailer owners? safe riding!:dontknow:

Samson
10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Boy this thread could of gone a whole different route for sure.

trikerbiker645
10-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Samson, i thought i'd get more info with that heading!

Sam Mac
10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm not getting any complaints. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Boy this thread could of gone a whole different route for sure.

:shocked: I haven't said a dang thing... nojoke

Bfromla
10-31-2016, 07:38 PM
BfromLA, Thanks for the link, great info and I saved the link. But maybe i didn't post correctly what I really wanted to know. I was hoping to get actual owner experiences with their non-BRP trailers as far as what their tongue length [axle to ball] and width [center of wheel to wheel] is and if they are happy with the handling etc. with the way their trailer is set up. What say you trailer owners? safe riding!:dontknow:
:coffee: Understand but I wanted to offer something & all I got is my BRP 622. :2thumbs:

trikerbiker645
10-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Bfromla, Yah if I planned on using a trailer more than a couple weeks a year I'd buy the BRP but 2 many bucks for my lack of use. Thanks again for the link though. safe riding!

WA5VHU
11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
The way mine came originally it was a lot shorter but I lengthened it. :yikes:

I wanted to carry my EU1000i generator on the tongue of my HF Tag-Along so to keep the tongue weight down I went to a local steel supply and got a longer piece of square tubing. The tongue length was 54" and it is now 91" from the axle to the center of the ball hole. The center-line of the tires is 36".

I have towed the Tag-Along with both the short and long tongue and can't say I have noticed any difference in the way they handled except with the short tongue it is hard to back up without quickly jackknifing, you have to use very small steering adjustments. With the long tongue it is hard to back up and make it turn, you have to use maximum steering adjustments. Methinks a tongue length somewhere in between these two might be more appropriate. If I pulled the Tag-Along more than a couple of times a year I might go to the trouble of messing with it.

Here is the Tag-Along with the 91" tongue, without the generator box on the front:

trikerbiker645
11-02-2016, 01:24 AM
WA5VHU
, now thats the info I want to hear about...thanks!. safe riding!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Do yourself a favor....unless it is a brief stop .... un-hitch and back-it by hand....... After all you are probably going to un-hitch it anyway !!!!!! ................... Mike :thumbup:

CMA/IBA_rider
11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
This is a old photo of Gold Wing and the Camper.

Buggy
11-07-2016, 10:27 AM
It's not how long it is it's how you use it!