PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring

Nyllajean
10-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Ok, I know there has been a lot of posts about trailer wiring on here, but I still have a couple questions. Buying a pull behind trailer that has a 4 pin plug but my 14 RT has the older round plug in. I don't want to change the bike wiring because I have a Spyder trailer I pull behind it that uses that plug, this will be a second trailer for our winter home. Is it as simple as just building a pigtail type cord converting from the round plug to the flat 4? Can these cords be bought somewhere already made? Do I need to be concerned about anything else? Thanks much!

Bfromla
10-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Your in luck this just poped up today:thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?99100-Can-Am-Trailer-stuff

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-31-2016, 12:42 AM
Ok, I know there has been a lot of posts about trailer wiring on here, but I still have a couple questions. Buying a pull behind trailer that has a 4 pin plug but my 14 RT has the older round plug in. I don't want to change the bike wiring because I have a Spyder trailer I pull behind it that uses that plug, this will be a second trailer for our winter home. Is it as simple as just building a pigtail type cord converting from the round plug to the flat 4? Can these cords be bought somewhere already made? Do I need to be concerned about anything else? Thanks much!
You asked this same question back in January. Finding a 9 plug could be a problem. To make sure we have things straight, does your current Spyder trailer have separate turn and brake lights? If so, it's a five wire system. If the same lights work as both turn and brake then it's a four wire system just like the trailer you want to leave in AZ. If your Spyder trailer is 4 wire the fix will be fairly simple.

So answer this question first before we go running off into a bramble bush!

Nyllajean
11-01-2016, 04:58 PM
You asked this same question back in January. Finding a 9 plug could be a problem. To make sure we have things straight, does your current Spyder trailer have separate turn and brake lights? If so, it's a five wire system. If the same lights work as both turn and brake then it's a four wire system just like the trailer you want to leave in AZ. If your Spyder trailer is 4 wire the fix will be fairly simple.

So answer this question first before we go running off into a bramble bush!

ok, so we finally got a trailer bought. It is an Aluma trailer with all led lights and a flat 4 wire plug. So now I need to have a lead to plug into the bike's round 9 pin connector and the trailer's flat 4 plug. Is this something that is sold at the dealer? Thanks for the help!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-01-2016, 08:43 PM
ok, so we finally got a trailer bought. It is an Aluma trailer with all led lights and a flat 4 wire plug. So now I need to have a lead to plug into the bike's round 9 pin connector and the trailer's flat 4 plug. Is this something that is sold at the dealer? Thanks for the help!
You still haven't answered my question. Does your Can Am trailer have separate turn and brake lights, or is one light used for both? It's makes a difference in how to suggest a fix.