PDA

View Full Version : chatterbox or scala

spy08
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
good afternoon everyone,

I was able to purchase a second spyder two weeks ago (now the wife has her own). I am looking for a bike to bike communication system that can be installed in a full face helmet, preferably with bluetooth. Any recommendations?:dontknow:

docdoru
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
SCALA RIDER Q2 http://www.cardowireless.com/Motorcycle_headsets
Shop around for the best price :thumbup:

wyliec
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
SCALA RIDER Q2 http://www.cardowireless.com/Motorcycle_headsets
Shipp around for the best price :thumbup:

This is a pretty good price

Amazon.com: Scala Rider CARDO Q2 (2 Sets) Multiset: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Scala-Rider-CARDO-Sets-Multiset/dp/B001KNWM8O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1238885485&sr=8-2)

Blackwidow74
04-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Scala Rider Q2 is great and definately has a great price. Try this website http://www.revzilla.com/product/scala-rider-q2-headset its $144 for each, you should get a better price for two. I am with West Coast Spyder and we use this system to talk to each other and we love it.:thumbup::yes::yes::yes:

Trickie Dick
04-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Anyone tried the Blu Virtu system. It got good reviews on WebBike world. Supports the new A2DP technology so you have stereo and also is compatable with the Scala rider system. :dontknow:
Just a thought. Might be worth looking into.

bone crusher
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Scala rider 2...might be able to get it really cheap for you...pm me if interested...

zzneonzz
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Here is a pretty good deal on 2 units

Here (http://www.jcmotors.com/p-13470-cardo-scala-rider-multiset-q2-bike-to-bike-bluetooth-motorcycle-intercom-communicator.aspx)

I'm thinking of ordering them myself.

I have a chatterbox now for Ipod/Phone and it works good but i hear they aren't great for bike to bike only rider passenger

wyliec
04-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Here (http://www.jcmotors.com/p-13470-cardo-scala-rider-multiset-q2-bike-to-bike-bluetooth-motorcycle-intercom-communicator.aspx)

I have a chatterbox now for Ipod/Phone and it works good but i hear they aren't great for bike to bike only rider passenger

That's the best price I've seen.

GaryTheBadger
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Another good option is BlueAnt, see http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

patches
04-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I use the Q2 Team set. Which is two independent Q2s. Forgot the price but I had to really search around for the best deal. The team set allows for both passenger and driver to connect to other Q2s so you can have up to four connected..not in a conference style but at least the two chics can talk while on the back and the two drivers can talk and then each driver can talk to each of thier chics. haha. Well, you know what I mean. I do wish it would expand a bit more than that when I first got it but it is rare I have more than 3 peeps to talk to. Worse case, the BT connected through my phone works like a champ. I rarely use the FM as it is not very good. Best to set it up while you bike is not running and you are sitting outside. That way you can preset your FM stations. Of course, if you are driving out of range..good luck finding a decent channel. I plub mine into my ipod which I put in my jacket. I have the new ironman watch which allows me to change songs and volume from my watch that I either have on my wrist or on the bike so I can access it. Just one wire to the IPod to the head, everything else is wireless. If you are thinking of streaming music over BT, good luck it does not work with my blackberry that is.

nyfdtsdemt
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
go to a shop and try both.........best bet!

zzneonzz
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
go to a shop and try both.........best bet!

you still using the chatterbox?

nyfdtsdemt
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
and love it

spy08
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM

i think that is the best price i have seen and will be ordering the scala, thanks everyone :doorag:

Desert Spyder
04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I just picked up the V-Can 210 Flip Up which has the Blinc (Bluetooth) incorporated. It cost me $400 at the local Harley shop. Its a very comfortable fit, I've paired my phone to it and purchased through Amazon 2 Sony's Bluetooth Ipod adapters. My wife ordered online the V-Can 136 full helmet. I believe its in the neighborhood of $230 but don't quote me. I haven't tested the communications on the road yet but in a "Can you hear me now" dry run after pairing, I can hear the speaker in the helmet BETTER than I can hear the cellphone or landline phone.

My wife was going to surprise me for my birthday with my new helmet but the dealer would not sell it to her without a fit test first. According to the tape I should be a large but after the fit test I was a medium. Manufacturer's of helmets do not use the same molds.

I will add more info after a highway test to this thread after I receive the adapters in a few days.

Desert Spyder
04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I just picked up the V-Can 210 Flip Up which has the Blinc (Bluetooth) incorporated. It cost me $400 at the local Harley shop. Its a very comfortable fit, I've paired my phone to it and purchased through Amazon 2 Sony's Bluetooth Ipod adapters. My wife ordered online the V-Can 136 full helmet. I believe its in the neighborhood of $230 but don't quote me. I haven't tested the communications on the road yet but in a "Can you hear me now" dry run after pairing, I can hear the speaker in the helmet BETTER than I can hear the cellphone or landline phone.

My wife was going to surprise me for my birthday with my new helmet but the dealer would not sell it to her without a fit test first. According to the tape I should be a large but after the fit test I was a medium. Manufacturer's of helmets do not use the same molds.

I will add more info after a highway test to this thread after I receive the adapters in a few days.

BTW, the website for the helmet is www.vcansports.com

The Breeze
04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Scala users - are you using it with a open face, full face or modular helmet? How is the boom mic to deal with when putting on or taking off your helmet?

Xbi users - I've been reading that the Xbi is a little 'quirky' in trying to get it paired with other devices. Can each unit pair to its' on MP3 player?

For either/both units - How are the speakers for either when putting on or taking off your helmet? Any problems with your ears clearing the speakers?

My primary usage will be intercom, MP3, GPS.

Thanks everyone.

zzneonzz
04-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Scala users - are you using it with a open face, full face or modular helmet? How is the boom mic to deal with when putting on or taking off your helmet?

Xbi users - I've been reading that the Xbi is a little 'quirky' in trying to get it paired with other devices. Can each unit pair to its' on MP3 player?

For either/both units - How are the speakers for either when putting on or taking off your helmet? Any problems with your ears clearing the speakers?

Thanks everyone.

I have an XBI and really like it the sound is great. I use it with a full face helmet. Its not really tricky to pair with devices however the instructions that came with mine were incorrect on pairing it to cell and mp3 player. Once i googled it and found the correct steps it was very simple and i can have it paired with the devices now in under 30 seconds.

The speakers on the XBI are great for a full face the attach to the shell of the helmet at the ears were there is no padding. They actually sit lower than the padding itself so they don't interfere with putting on/ taking off the helmet at all. The only thing that gets in the way for this is the Mic that attaches to the chin section of the Full Face however I moved it to partially under the padding and it works much better. I would definately recomend it as a helmet com/bluetooth connection.

Also the way it says to pair with GPS + other device is Pair the other device with the GPS and then pair the GPS with the XBI unit (My gps is not bluetooth so i can't comment on doing it this way) I do know with using the phone/mp3 player if a call comes in and i decide to answer it then it mutes the MP3 and lets me take the call. Everyone I have talked to couldn't even tell I was doing 70+ on the interestate.

patches
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone.

The Scala will do fine with half helmet. The speakers just velco in with double sided tape. I used some foam to adjust them closer to my ear with my little head and deep ear holes in my helmet. Taking it off and on is never a problem and don't even see or feel the speakers or the mic.