PDA

View Full Version : Tranny thunk

WvTomCat
10-27-2016, 02:21 PM
I have a 2010 RT SE with around 26,000 miles. I have run Amsoil from the get go. I couldn't find a thread that addressed my problem so I guess I need to start a new one.

Recently, for probably the past 500 miles, I have noticed a thunk in the tranny area when I am in traffic in a lower gear, generally between pulling and coasting. There is a vibration and a thunk/whack/slapping sound. Not real loud but nonetheless noticeable. There is never a problem running at interstate speed. Also, when in traffic I always try to stay in the lowest possible gear, i.e., keeping my RPM's around the 4,000 mark and never trying to pull below 3,500.

I thought that my belt might be loose. I ordered a Krikit gauge from Baja Ron. Even though it feels loose, with the Bike off the ground I consistently come up with around 140 lbs. With the bike off the ground I started it up, let it warm up, put it in gear and started playing with the accelerator. When I would run it up and get off the accelerator quickly it would vibrate and thunk. To possibly take a loose belt out of the equation I made a hand held idler, put pressure on the belt and goosed it many times. Same thing. Now here is the scary part. If I goosed it REAL quickly, there would be a LOUD metal on metal thunk coming from the tranny area before it started the rear wheel rolling.

Please note that this is not an engine oil level problem. I always check the oil level after every run according to the directions in the owners manual. Also, I recently installed new plugs and ignition wires from Baja Ron. The engine sounds real good right now.

I generally do all my own maintenance but this one has me baffled. Hate to take it to the dealer, pay a lot of money and very possibly not have the problem addressed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Snowbelt Spyder
10-27-2016, 02:28 PM
I have a 2010 RT SE with around 26,000 miles. I have run Amsoil from the get go. I couldn't find a thread that addressed my problem so I guess I need to start a new one.

Recently, for probably the past 500 miles, I have noticed a thunk in the tranny area when I am in traffic in a lower gear, generally between pulling and coasting. There is a vibration and a thunk/whack/slapping sound. Not real loud but nonetheless noticeable. There is never a problem running at interstate speed. Also, when in traffic I always try to stay in the lowest possible gear, i.e., keeping my RPM's around the 4,000 mark and never trying to pull below 3,500.

I thought that my belt might be loose. I ordered a Krikit gauge from Baja Ron. Even though it feels loose, with the Bike off the ground I consistently come up with around 140 lbs. With the bike off the ground I started it up, let it warm up, put it in gear and started playing with the accelerator. When I would run it up and get off the accelerator quickly it would vibrate and thunk. To possibly take a loose belt out of the equation I made a hand held idler, put pressure on the belt and goosed it many times. Same thing. Now here is the scary part. If I goosed it REAL quickly, there would be a LOUD metal on metal thunk coming from the tranny area before it started the rear wheel rolling.

Please note that this is not an engine oil level problem. I always check the oil level after every run according to the directions in the owners manual. Also, I recently installed new plugs and ignition wires from Baja Ron. The engine sounds real good right now.

I generally do all my own maintenance but this one has me baffled. Hate to take it to the dealer, pay a lot of money and very possibly not have the problem addressed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

You hear the thunk as you get on and off the accelerator between pulling and coasting. The first thing I'd check is to see if the bolt on the front sprocket has come loose. And now there is slop and play between the splines of the shaft and sprocket. Just slide that black lower plastic panel off and you can get right on it with a ratchet and extension. If it has come fairly loose, better fully remove it and check for wear.

Highwayman2013
10-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Check the front pulley.

Rogue Hawk
10-27-2016, 02:45 PM
You may want to consult Bruce Jenner on this.

Chupaca
10-27-2016, 03:19 PM
agree with starting with the front pulley. Make sure it is torqued or replace the bolt if all else is well. Now if that is not the problem then I would suspect the clutch package. Little more involved in checking that out...:banghead:

WvTomCat
10-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow.

Dmpsam
10-27-2016, 07:43 PM
This thread wasn't what I thought I saw in the subject line!
Lmao

armyspydervet
10-27-2016, 08:42 PM
This thread wasn't what I thought I saw in the subject line!
Lmao
I see there are only a few people in this site with a sense of humor :roflblack:

Mikel53
10-27-2016, 09:08 PM
You may want to consult Bruce Jenner on this.

some people do have a sense of humor!

Firefly
10-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Agree with others.. front sprocket....

WvTomCat
10-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Ok, the front sprocket is tight. Put a socket on it to make sure. However, when I shut down the bike, with the rear wheel off the ground, I can move the belt 1 1/2 inches back and forth before it stops. Now I realize that some slop is ok, but is that too much. Is that an indication of any particular problem?

Is there any other way that I can check out the clutch before I take baby to the doctor?

Thanks for all the help.

hypurone
10-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Ok, the front sprocket is tight. Put a socket on it to make sure. However, when I shut down the bike, with the rear wheel off the ground, I can move the belt 1 1/2 inches back and forth before it stops. Now I realize that some slop is ok, but is that too much. Is that an indication of any particular problem?

Is there any other way that I can check out the clutch before I take baby to the doctor?

Thanks for all the help.

Well, the bolt may be tight but the splines on the front sprocket could still be damaged/worn. Look at the front sprocket while you are getting the movement you describe. Check to see whether the pulley is rotating while the mounting bolt isn't! This would indicate issues with the splines within the pulley... If everything checks out and there is nothing wrong at the rear wheel end of things, then I fear it is in the clutch/trans....

DrewNJ
10-28-2016, 05:23 PM
4k+ rpms on and off the throttle in 1st gear going through traffic?😬

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk