PDA

View Full Version : Unseen Disability's

Zip
10-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Anyone know it there is a group of Spyder Ryder's that have unseen disability's? Or even a disability's group?:riding:

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 01:20 PM
:shocked: I never knew that there were groups for this sort of thing...
What is considered to be an "unseen" disability? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
10-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Check the "Enabled" thread forum. Many of us just ride as much as we can. Its only noticeable when I have to use a HC space and the placard and cane come out.

Otherwise, no one knows, unless they know me. :yes:

Fortunately, I have all my parts and don't need to haul any of my wheelchairs.

Zip
10-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Anyone know it there is a group of Spyder Ryder's that have unseen disability's? Or even a disability's group?:riding:

An unseen (or invisible, hidden, or non-apparent disability) refers to hundreds of conditions including mental illness, learning disabilities, diabetes, epilepsy or other seizure disorders, multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), cancer, arthritis and many more.

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 01:32 PM
:shocked: I've got more than a couple of them... :gaah:
Does anybody want to swap? :D
I'll throw:
Diabetes
Arthritis
Cardiovascular disease
Peripheral Vascular disease
Low visual acuity

On the pile!

But most folks will tell you that I'm also nUtZ! :D

armyspydervet
10-27-2016, 01:39 PM
I'll throw:
Diabetes
Arthritis
Cardiovascular disease
Peripheral Vascular disease
Low visual acuity

On the pile!

But most folks will tell you that I'm also nUtZ! :D

I'll take ADHD for $200, Alex :(

Vader
10-27-2016, 01:41 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled- (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled-SpyderLovers)SpyderLovers
I suffered a TBI in 2001, and other than a slight limp, most stranger would never know. The invisible issues I have to deal with on a daily basis are numerous, but what people think when I speak, or when they see me walk, or if I do park in a handicap parking spot are their issues.

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 01:53 PM
I'll take ADHD for $200, Alex :(

https://youtu.be/BPXjCiixeKI

Peter Aawen
10-27-2016, 04:04 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled- (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Enabled-SpyderLovers)SpyderLovers
I suffered a TBI in 2001, and other than a slight limp, most stranger would never know. The invisible issues I have to deal with on a daily basis are numerous, but what people think when I speak, or when they see me walk, or if I do park in a handicap parking spot are their issues.

Same here, been 'retired hurt' since 1996 from a Blast Induced TBI received many years before, with a little more 'late onset' damage only becoming obvious in the last year or so..... :p

I reckon there are far more 'invisible issues' out there than most would think, especially amongst the Ex-Service (Military &/or LEO, EMS, etc) Community members who are now pushing or beyond retiring age - and most of us still work hard at being as active, adventurous, & outgoing as we can be! Spyders are not just Fun Machines for many of us, they are our High-Speed Mobility Scooters!! :2thumbs: :ohyea:

Bfromla
10-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Same here, been 'retired hurt' since 1996 from a Blast Induced TBI received many years before, with a little more 'late onset' damage only becoming obvious in the last year or so..... :p

I reckon there are far more 'invisible issues' out there than most would think, especially amongst the Ex-Service (Military &/or LEO, EMS, etc) Community members who are now pushing or beyond retiring age - and most of us still work hard at being as active, adventurous, & outgoing as we can be! Spyders are not just Fun Machines for many of us, they are our High-Speed Mobility Scooters!! :2thumbs: :ohyea:
:clap: X3 with TBI :p. Prople dont know till i take off my hat & show the scars/dents! Often have to show pic from my recovery to give the full idea.

Beachbum
10-27-2016, 05:59 PM
I have a degenerative disk disease and do all I can to hide it. The biggest compliment anybody can give me is when they say "It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with you". I am also very happy to say that the riding position on the F3 works out great for me but does begin to hurt on longer rides. I'm going to enjoy riding my spyder as much as I can while I still can.

Buckeye Bleau
10-27-2016, 06:01 PM
Wow, as usual on this site I learned a lot today. I find those of you that opened up to us to be very brave and I truly appreciate your honesty and welcome the enlightenment that you gave me.

Be well, friends!

Joee

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 06:13 PM
:D None of us would be the same people; without the chances to learn how to "bounce back", from life's little setbacks. nojoke

robmorg
10-27-2016, 08:06 PM
I've got more than a couple of them, too. Used to also have cancer, but luckily I got rid of that one BEFORE it became debilitating. I can live with the others - just takes a bit of medicine, and a slower pace. :thumbup:

Zip
10-27-2016, 10:42 PM
MS here, not really bad but affects my balance so the 3 wheels makes all the difference between riding or not.

IntoTheWind
10-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Seven operations later, scars, three re-constructed shoulder operations - left shoulder deformed, collarbone shorten left side 1 1/2 inches, two knees operations, experimental procedure that didn't work and then two complete knee replacements and finally both lower feet corrective surgery. This is minor compared to most, no one knows unless I wear shorts showing scares, feet are covered, always wear a shirt, but I guess when I walk you'd see me shuffle instead of walking normal, but I can get around and that’s a plus. I like others gave up my cruiser for three wheels, I'll be honest miss my leaning in curves always loved that. In the last four years I've only placed approx 3500 miles on my scoot with my wife on board. I know it’s not much, but when I felt good, comfortable to take a ride it’s there waiting for me to take a spin. I'm simple happy that I can still get around and that for me is a win.

Bob Denman
10-28-2016, 07:06 AM
My Motto:
:D Don't give up; NEVER surrender! :clap: :2thumbs:

Chupaca
10-28-2016, 10:35 AM
I fit in this catagory sort of...Once I put on the braces (put myself together) I seem to be normal as most. But regardless my range is limited and I only use the placard if there is nothing close to the point I am going to. I do feel that the handicap placards have gone a bit out of the reason they were intended and are abused. One does get some looks and comments when your reason is not visable....guess I should wear shorts or external braces...:dontknow:

ingramwc
10-28-2016, 10:58 AM
2 hip replacements, 2 knees that need replacing, plus more crap from growing old gracefully. Riding my Spyder is the only thing I do where I have no pain while riding.
I used to stare at folks that park in the HC spaces and watch them walking away and think, why do they have a permit. I have realized that since I do not know their situation, it is not my position to judge someone else!!

:thumbup:Y'all ride safe out there!!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

tmcquain
10-28-2016, 12:17 PM
I DON'T HAVE :

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
HIGH BLOOD SUGAR
HIGH CHOLESTERAL
DEPRESSION
BACK ACHES

AS LONG AS I TAKE ALL MY PILLS EVERYDAY !!!

MY RESPECT TO ALL SERVICE MEMBERS, LEO, FIREFIGHTERS AND EMS THAT HAVE BEEN INJURED IN THE LINE OF DUTY TO SERVE, SAVE, AND PROTECT MY BUTT !!!!

woodyaa
10-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Both hips replaced twice in 6 surgeries, plus 7 major back surgeries, last one 7 months ago. Thank God for the Spyder and this community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyliec
10-28-2016, 02:21 PM
MY RESPECT TO ALL SERVICE MEMBERS, LEO, FIREFIGHTERS AND EMS (past and present).

Sorry, I don't limit it to only those that have been injured.

tmcquain
10-28-2016, 03:54 PM
MY RESPECT TO ALL SERVICE MEMBERS, LEO, FIREFIGHTERS AND EMS (past and present).

Sorry, I don't limit it to only those that have been injured.

I DIDN'T MEAN TO EITHER, BUT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT DISABLILITES, THAT IS WHY I SAID THAT. OF COURSE I RESPECT ALL !

Spyder_Cowgirl
10-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Hubby had a serious motorcycle accident in January of 2012 -- his litany of injuries:

Concussion
8 fractured vertebrae
Left scapula fracture
Numerous ribs broken on right side
Shattered right ankle

He got caught in a deluge of rain and the bike was upset by some bad pavement in a curve -- slid off the road and into a ditch, stopping in soft mud (instead of hard Texas clay) and just short of a barbed wire fence. Full riding gear, including helmet, saved his life (as did the soft mud). All the vertebral fractures were stable, so no paralysis -- does still feel numb on the outside two fingers of his left hand. The most serious of the injuries was the ankle -- just finished his eighth surgery on it this year (hopefully his last) -- there are four significant surgeries in the bunch; external fixation, internal fixation, bone graft a year and a half after the accident, ankle replacement a year after the bone graft.

He also has severe scoliosis prior to the accident and the damage to his spine did not help that at all. Can't tell from the outside but he is in constant pain ... except when he rides. I think the pain is still there, he is just so focused on the task at hand that he is able to ignore it.

Ride safe .... Ann

Buggy
10-28-2016, 07:47 PM
I am in this group in a big way but I always remind myself it could be worse! I try to keep moving onward and upward. Life is good (most days):2thumbs:

ekfraz
10-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I have Multiple Sclerosis, I have my good days and my MS days, I can't say bad days because I am still here and breathing.

Bfromla
10-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Wow, as usual on this site I learned a lot today. I find those of you that opened up to us to be very brave and I truly appreciate your honesty and welcome the enlightenment that you gave me.

Be well, friends!

Joee
:agree::2thumbs: Thank you all for showing again how great the spyder community is:):firstplace:
& with that here is some pics ive shared on the enabled section before: you may have seen,
(what spyders help us prove) 139471
139472("But officer, I parked it in the right spot??!):roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

SteveP
10-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Because of an Autoimmune glitch I ended up in my late thirties-(1) going deaf (2) inner ear balance nerves gone (3) have Colitis. I hear now with Cochlear Implants and medications help control the Colitis and other little nuances..... BRP inventing these wonderful 3 wheel toys we covet allows me to ignore the balance issue and Ryde again . Here ( In Canada ) in the Construction industry we are now required to take accessibility training which basically informs everyone of the new laws gradually being phased in making all businesses and institutions more accessible for people with disabilities. The scope of disability isn't just for people with mobility issues but covers mental health , hearing , sight and other medical problems. Banks for example must provide a separate space to serve those who do not feel comfortable in a typical "Queue " setting ., More visual aids must be available for hearing impaired etc . Unfortunately although our worksites are supposed to be ran with the same measures in place as of yet not much has changed , hopefully it will catch up . The world would have missed out on a brilliant mind if we just pushed Stephen Hawking into a room and felt sorry for him.....