PDA

View Full Version : CB radio antenna problem-SWR too high

kenr57
10-27-2016, 11:36 AM
I have installed the OEM CB radio and antenna. When I try to set the SWR with the meter, I get a reading above 3.0 on channel 1 and above 2.5 on channel 40. I cannot get the reading on either channel to drop to the acceptable level of 1-1.5. I have tried to lengthen with washers, but the needle reads the same. I have removed the OEM antenna and installed the antenna from my car (which I know I get an SWR reading of 1.2) but I get the same SWR reading from both channel 1 and channel 40 (above3.0 and 2.5) Does anyone know if there is an adjustment within the radio that could help solve this problem. These readings will damage the CB if it is used. :dontknow:

Thanks for any comments or assistance.

Ken

Jetfixer
10-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Try checking it with a jumper wire from the antenna base to the battery negative. You may not be getting a good enough ground.

kenr57
10-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Try checking it with a jumper wire from the antenna base to the battery negative. You may not be getting a good enough ground.

Thanks, I will go try that.

kenr57
10-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks, I will go try that.

Antenna has a ground wire attached which is grounded to the frame. I added an additional jumper wire to another ground spot on the frame (bolt of gas tank attached to frame). Same result.

Snowbelt Spyder
10-27-2016, 01:48 PM
I have installed the OEM CB radio and antenna. When I try to set the SWR with the meter, I get a reading above 3.0 on channel 1 and above 2.5 on channel 40. I cannot get the reading on either channel to drop to the acceptable level of 1-1.5. I have tried to lengthen with washers, but the needle reads the same. I have removed the OEM antenna and installed the antenna from my car (which I know I get an SWR reading of 1.2) but I get the same SWR reading from both channel 1 and channel 40 (above3.0 and 2.5) Does anyone know if there is an adjustment within the radio that could help solve this problem. These readings will damage the CB if it is used. :dontknow:

Thanks for any comments or assistance.

Ken

Hey Ken. With a problem such as this, you should really only post in one forum. Otherwise, you're going to get answers in both places and it's hard for anyone to keep track of where you are in making progress. I would suggest deleting the other post.

Continuing on, the main culprit with SWR problems on a Spyder, or boat, or RV, is lack of a ground plane....not ground, but antenna ground plane. You will gain a lot of info from this member's experience documented here...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92153-CB-problems-promising-development!&highlight=radio+squeal

Looks like he had really good results going to the NGP antenna. Check with IdahoMtnSpyder. He may chime in here if he sees your post. There's another member on here who has also gone with the Firestik NGP antenna. My apologies to him since I can't remember his user name and can't find that posting. He may see your post, also.

kenr57
10-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Hey Ken. With a problem such as this, you should really only post in one forum. Otherwise, you're going to get answers in both places and it's hard for anyone to keep track of where you are in making progress. I would suggest deleting the other post.

Continuing on, the main culprit with SWR problems on a Spyder, or boat, or RV, is lack of a ground plane....not ground, but antenna ground plane. You will gain a lot of info from this member's experience documented here...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?92153-CB-problems-promising-development!&highlight=radio+squeal

Looks like he had really good results going to the NGP antenna. Check with IdahoMtnSpyder. He may chime in here if he sees your post. There's another member on here who has also gone with the Firestik NGP antenna. My apologies to him since I can't remember his user name and can't find that posting. He may see your post, also.

Thanks for the information and I will check it out. I will also delete the other post now.

kenr57
11-01-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the information and I will check it out. I will also delete the other post now.

I have solved the problem!!!:ohyea:I purchased a no ground plane Firestik with adjustable tip. The Firestick could not be installed in the original opening so I had to install it on the side of the rear trunk by drilling holes :( in the side and mounted at the same angle as the AM/FM antenna.

When first installed, channel 1 read 3.2 SWR and channel 40 read 2.5 SWR. That indicated that the antenna was too short. I started extending the length by 1/8 inch increments each time and gradually reduced the Channel 1 SWR from 3.2 down to 1.5. The total extension was about 1 full inch, but now I have decent reception and great transmission. Thanks to all who responded to my problem.