PDA

View Full Version : Current opinions on Dell reliability (desk tops)

Saluda
10-26-2016, 09:17 PM
On my third. Have had great luck and it's time to shop. Any opinions either way.
No gaming, pictures & videos, Word & Internet.
Mostly basic. Thanks.

Highwayman2013
10-26-2016, 09:33 PM
I got an Acer from Walmart and it works fine.

ARtraveler
10-26-2016, 09:58 PM
I have had my Dell for several years now. No issues.

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 07:09 AM
We've always used Dell in our office. My current desktop monster is running Windows 7 Pro...
This one has had a few clunky issues. :banghead: Every once in a while, it'll forget how to display a webpage that I've visited about a jillion times... (Like this one, or even my homepage)
If I take about six or eight tries at the page: it'll finally display.
Some quick specs:
3.60 GHZ processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB hard drive.

Fatcycledaddy
10-27-2016, 07:16 AM
We have been using Dell refurbished towers and laptops, bought directly from the Dell website, at work for over 14 years. The laptops last a few years and die, the desktops or towers, get old and get replaced, they seldom if ever go bad.

cuznjohn
10-27-2016, 09:29 AM
my last few computers have been dell's. i like them

Chupaca
10-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Have had several and they have been good ones. Mostly just fall behind and upgrading is not worth it. So go for the new faster and better after a few years...:thumbup:

Saluda
10-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Have had several and they have been good ones. Mostly just fall behind and upgrading is not worth it. So go for the new faster and better after a few years...:thumbup:

That's where I am.

jcthorne
10-27-2016, 11:35 AM
We stopped buying power hungry desktop machines years ago and now only use Dell Latitude laptops. Reliability has been excellent and parts and service availability is super. Other than for high end gaming (maybe) there is just no justification for desktop machines anymore.

Bob Denman
10-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Other than for high end gaming (maybe) there is just no justification for desktop machines anymore.

:D How about high-end "Foruming"? :roflblack:

wyliec
10-27-2016, 11:58 AM
We stopped buying power hungry desktop machines years ago and now only use Dell Latitude laptops. Reliability has been excellent and parts and service availability is super. Other than for high end gaming (maybe) there is just no justification for desktop machines anymore.

Is there a link that would show an approximate cost per hour to operate? Our electrical supplier was also saying (for example) that our tv and computer should be connected to a power strip, and be turned off from there when not using, to save on power consumption.

I found something about power consumption for desktops, and I think I can live with that:

https://www.griffith.edu.au/sustainability/sustainable-campuses/sustainable-initiatives/energy/average-computer-energy-usage

jcthorne
10-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Is there a link that would show an approximate cost per hour to operate? Our electrical supplier was also saying (for example) that our tv and computer should be connected to a power strip, and be turned off from there when not using, to save on power consumption.

I found something about power consumption for desktops, and I think I can live with that:

https://www.griffith.edu.au/sustainability/sustainable-campuses/sustainable-initiatives/energy/average-computer-energy-usage

They do not build high end desktops with 600w power supplies because they like the numbers...

Laptops are designed from the processor to memory to storage with power savings in mind because they have to run on a battery. Even a very high end laptop will only have a 120w power supply.

And its not just the power consumption of the pc itself. It takes approx 2x that power to remove the heat load from the building via HVAC system.

IGETAROUND
10-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Well my justification for a desk top is I HATE laptops; won't use one

jcthorne
10-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Well my justification for a desk top is I HATE laptops; won't use one

What

What is it you hate about laptops? If I am not traveling, mine sits on my docking station. I have a full size keyboard, it drives dual 4k 30" monitors and I have a full size mouse. Not sure what else a desktop could offer. When I travel, I just unlock and go. I still have everything with me and a smaller travel size screen, keyboard and mouse.

There really is no downside to laptops any longer.