PDA

View Full Version : how many miles would you be comfortable with for a group ryde?

aka1004
04-04-2009, 12:20 AM
i am thinking may be 300 miles is too much for most people

NancysToy
04-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Seems like most group rides try to stick to the 50-100 mile theme. There are big ones going farther, but they usually become fragmented, require lots of outriders, and are a big pain to organize and keep on track. If there is a meal or destination at the end, the group keeps arriving for a long while. I agree with HDX, small groups or riding alone are preferable.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Past experience with the GoldWing Road Riders club showed me it can get messy. I agree with what you have posted. Too many riders equals too many complaints (you're driving too fast, you're driving too slow, we don't stop enough for coffee, we don't stop enough for the bathroom, and the list is endless). The most fun is when, after riding on short trips with someone a few times you understand their style. Then when you have a few of those, you can ride without wondering. Some ride will be for distance, another for taking in the scenery. One is a bit faster than the other. If you are doing the slower one let everyone know it and the speedsters will probably take a rain check. The same holds true with the distance ride, the ones who don't want to ride fast and hard will take a rain check. My wife and I don't ride fast, so when there is a ride through some wicked southern California mountain roads we stay home. We can't keep up with them, so we don't want to bog anyone down. So, the miles will probably compliment the kind of ride you want to do.

Greg H.
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Our Shiloh ride last October was 223 miles. 30 bikes w/3 Spyders. It was fun. And, pretty organized.

aka1004
04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
i am not high on mountain roads for group spyder ryde and going to try to minimize them, especial the tight ones. i think those are better suited for solo rydes or few ryders with similar ryding skills.