PDA

View Full Version : Which Battery Tender?

PrairieSpyder
10-24-2016, 03:09 PM
I want to install a battery tender on my F3T. So far I know it needs to be compatible with an AGM battery ( not just for standard or gel batteries) and have complete shut off after the battery is charged.

I've looked at ones on Revzilla, Dirk's, etc., and I'm not sure what to buy. Any ideas? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
10-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Battery Tender Junior is what I have been using for years. No issues and the bikes start on the first try.

Highwayman2013
10-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Battery Tender Junior is what I have been using for years. No issues and the bikes start on the first try.

Agree, Battery Tender Jr.

cptjam
10-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Have used them for years. Carried by walmart or Amazon.com. Works perfect in my AGM batteries. Joe

Purple Guy
10-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Add another for Battery Tender Jr. :thumbup:

Deanna777
10-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Battery Tender Junior is what I have been using for years. No issues and the bikes start on the first try.I also use Battery tender jr. for years and have not had any issues with the bike. It switches automatically from charge to float.
12V/750 mA,
it has 12 foot output cord.
Reverse polarity protection ensures safety.
Spark proof!,
input: 115VAC @ 60Hz
output:12Vdc @ 750 mA.
Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-24-2016, 06:33 PM
I bought two Schumacher's from Walmart ( maintainer's ) for about $ 20.00 ea....... they have worked as designed ........ Mike :thumbup:

JerryB
10-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Hi Patti,

Re: I'm not sure what to buy.

This is the one I have & use: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

Get your credit card out,

Jerry Baumchen

PrairieSpyder
10-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks to you all for your unanimous answers! :bowdown: I've just ordered one from Amazon, which was $8 less than Walmart.

4 MARIE
10-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Battery Tender Junior, I have 5 of these and use them for Ranger, Spyder, Tractor, Mower, and a spare for good measure. Nothing else , in this price range especially, will do it like IT will. It really is just a "tender ", won't do much for a dead piece of lead.

SilverFox1
10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Be careful which kit you buy. Battery tender junior has several kits. Make sure you buy the kit that comes with the ring mounts also. Much more convenient than just the alligator clamps. The best price is not always the best deal. They also have a weather proof model for someone who keeps their ride outside.

SilverFox

KX5062
10-29-2016, 10:56 AM
NOCO Very good quality and very versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1477756363&sr=1-20&keywords=battery+tender

CTEK This another very good quality product.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B006G14FK8/ref=pd_sbs_263_24?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006G14FK8&pd_rd_r=8C0E3D6XA32SSHQ05RMX&pd_rd_w=pF6VG&pd_rd_wg=hi19m&psc=1&refRID=8C0E3D6XA32SSHQ05RMX

Both products have a variety of levels of features depending on you needs/desires.

Bob Denman
10-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks to you all for your unanimous answers! :bowdown: I've just ordered one from Amazon, which was $8 less than Walmart.

:clap: Good choice! :thumbup:
I've used the waterproof version of "junior" for six Winters, and it still works GREAT! :thumbup:

reissooz
10-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Patti - I have Lamont's power plate mounted on the handlebars base of my F3T and since it is hooked up directly to the battery, I can take out the USB charger and use a cigarette hookup to the battery tender without having to add any pigtail for the battery tender. Works like a charm and using it also for hooking up a heated jacket liner the same way.

TallyAmNole
11-13-2016, 06:18 PM
FYI....Newegg.com has the Battery Tender Junior on sale for $19.99, Free Shipping plus $5 Newegg gift card on sale for another 7 days. Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C2KH9395&ignorebbr=1

solidgranite
11-23-2016, 10:06 AM
I need a battery tender for my RT, and am wondering if there's one that will "feed" the battery through the cigarette lighter port instead of having to be clamped directly to the battery? If I could do this, I could keep the tender out of the weather by putting the unit in my top rear storage compartment. Plus I could remove it in seconds for a quick ride! Is there a battery tender that will hook up this way, or am I dreaming? :dontknow:

Highwayman2013
11-23-2016, 10:15 AM
I need a battery tender for my RT, and am wondering if there's one that will "feed" the battery through the cigarette lighter port instead of having to be clamped directly to the battery? If I could do this, I could keep the tender out of the weather by putting the unit in my top rear storage compartment. Plus I could remove it in seconds for a quick ride! Is there a battery tender that will hook up this way, or am I dreaming? :dontknow:

http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/Cigarette-Lighter-Adaptor.html

ottawa-rider
11-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Yes, some battery maintainer come with a lighter plug or you may be able to buy one seperately.

Depending on the year of your RT, you can make the plug in the read trunk live all the time by changing the fuse from one slot to the other.

Not sure which year they started doing that, maybe 2013, I'm sure others will confirm.

That's what I do with my 2014 RT, I use a C-Tek Battery maintainer.

Devious56
11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there is an adapter that allows you to do just that. There is also a Battery Tender that is for use on a boat that is water proof. Actually the Battery Tender Jrs. are pretty much water proof if you wrap a plastic bag around the plug part. And let me repeat myself, as I have said this before, and I'm sure I will say it again, Battery Tender is a brand name for a battery maintainer. There are others on the market, and I'm sure some of them are as good as the Battery Tender. I have about 20 or 25 years of experience using the Battery Tender, a couple of the different models, and they have extended the life of my batteries by almost 100%. Right now I have them on my boat, my garden tractor, my Spyder, and my 2 automobiles. If I'm not driving the vehicle, it's connected to the Tender. Winter, Summer, it doesn't make any difference, if I'm not driving it, it's connected. Poo poo all you want, I get 7 to 8 years from a battery, that's good enough for me.

David

solidgranite
11-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks very much for the thoughts, opinions, and information! My RT manual says that the cig. outlet in the rear hatch is always "live", so I'm going with a Battery Tender Jr. and their cigar. lighter adapter. Now I can keep the battery charged on those cold nights, but disconnect the tender in seconds! Much appreciated!

Motorcycledave
11-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Here is what I use and have used for years, $24.95 at AutoZone
I have 4 of them one for each of my motorcycles and one for my lawnmower.
They work great and do not cost an arm and a leg

M109Dreamer
11-23-2016, 03:04 PM
For many years I use one Battery Tender Plus with cable extensions and a 4/1 connector to 4 motorcycles/vehicles ("Maintain up to 4 standard, starting batteries (of similar type - in parallel). Amperage is divided evenly among connected batteries"). http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html
How do you hook it up to charge more than 1 bike at a time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Cruzr Joe
11-23-2016, 07:10 PM

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Cruzr Joe

Spyderist
11-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Home Depot is presently selling the Battery Tender Jr. for $19.88. This is about a good a price as I've ever seen.

It's listed as a "special buy" so I don't know if this is their new price or a temporary one.

I've had three for about 10 years and have had one failure - the charger, not the battery (post warranty). I noted that this current version is a bit smaller and is lighter than my older ones, but it does carry a 5 yr warranty.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Home depot just had a sale this weekend $10 for battery tender jr.

tmcquain
11-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Well, I'm not an expert, but based on the opinions on this forum, I bought a Battery Tender JR. 2 weeks ago....2 weeks and everything is great !!! I do have Lamonsters power plate on the handle bar with it wired to the batter, and the cigarette plug for the tender....it works just fine for me.