PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts before I try this?

OverHillAndDale
10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I prefer music from the speakers rather than my headset, but my old iPod in my trunk is dying. I could use my iPhone, but I like it on my handlebars because I monitor my blood sugar on my phone (I'm a diabetic).

Soooo, I'm thinking of make a 7-pin DIN connector M-F cable and running it from the trunk (underneath the seat a plastic) up to the dashboard. Here, I'd use the BRP 7 pin DIN to iPod 30 pin adapter, add a 30-pin to lighting adapter, lightning to lightning extender, all of this to phone. Final adapter cable to phone would come through dash with a rubber grommet to seal around the cable and keep water out.

I know there's a lot of adapting but I don't see why it wouldn't139280 work. Thoughts?

Chupaca
10-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Really sounds easier to just get a new I-pod....:yikes: thats more connectors and tapers that can malfunction.....:dontknow:

pegasus1300
10-24-2016, 11:20 AM
You diagramed it out very well. I don't see any reason why that configuration shouldn't work. BTW how do you keep track of your Blood Sugar on your Iphone? Is this app also available for Android?

Bob Denman
10-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Are you on a Medtronic pump? :dontknow:
The new 630 is supposed to be available in January, but I might just keep running on my 530 until the 670 is released later in the Spring...
(I have NO idea about the connecting of stuff together: I get nervous even using a "3-Prong into 2-Prong" adapter in the house...)
I do think that Medtronic offers (or at least to offer!), a separate unit that would allow for monitoring of blood sugars, without having to pull out the pump...
I guess that it would be useful for letting your "Best-Half" keep track of it on her nightstand during the overnight hours. It would seem to be useful for this application also. :thumbup:

OverHillAndDale
10-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Medtronic has a device that listens to your pump and transmits blood sugar reading to phone via Bluetooth. So far only available for iPhone, not android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I prefer music from the speakers rather than my headset, but my old iPod in my trunk is dying. I could use my iPhone, but I like it on my handlebars because I monitor my blood sugar on my phone (I'm a diabetic).

Soooo, I'm thinking of make a 7-pin DIN connector M-F cable and running it from the trunk (underneath the seat a plastic) up to the dashboard. Here, I'd use the BRP 7 pin DIN to iPod 30 pin adapter, add a 30-pin to lighting adapter, lightning to lightning extender, all of this to phone. Final adapter cable to phone would come through dash with a rubber grommet to seal around the cable and keep water out.

I know there's a lot of adapting but I don't see why it wouldn't139280 work. Thoughts?
I'm not sure about PIN thing ??? ....... and I don't know if this will help ..... but I brought the PLUG that will connect an MP-3 from the rear trunk and stripped it from the RADIO Harness ( not hard ) and then attached it into the right side of my Glove Box ...... there is enough OEM wire to do this ...... if this does not apply to you :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: ...... well I tried :yes:....... Mike :thumbup:

OverHillAndDale
10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks, that's a good alternative.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks, that's a good alternative.

If your post here is referring to what I did ....." pitzerwm " a member here followed my original instructions annnnnnnnnnnnnd did a post with PICS showing what He did ...... PM Him to get more info ..........Mike :thumbup:

al0vely
10-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Why not purchase a cheap outdated iPhone and use as an iPod replacement. You can probably get one for $25 on eBay.

Bfromla
10-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Really sounds easier to just get a new I-pod....:yikes: thats more connectors and tapers that can malfunction.....:dontknow:

Ya sometime what "should" work is just that http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/b8ed0151fe057b4c3123438cf28d1512.jpg "SHOULD".

Bob Denman
10-25-2016, 07:07 AM

ThreeWheels
10-25-2016, 07:45 AM
That's a lot of connections as others have said.
Doesn't Lamont sell a bluetooth adapter to connect up to the radio ?
If I remember correctly, you hook up the bluetooth adapter in the trunk, and then you pair your phone to the adapter.

OverHillAndDale
10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Ya sometime what "should" work is just that http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/b8ed0151fe057b4c3123438cf28d1512.jpg "SHOULD".

Unfortuntately, I've done things that looked worse than that ... M25 to F25 to F25 to M9 to FR....... That stuff even works now and then....

Bob Denman
10-25-2016, 08:17 AM
What's the name of that picture: "Adapting to Adapters"? :shocked:

Richard Budden
10-25-2016, 03:20 PM

This is the easiest and cheapest way to do what you are trying to do. I also have a 2014 RT-S and I use one of these.

http://www.nyrius.com/discontinued/songo-link-wireless-bluetooth-30-pin-apple-dock-adapter

Richard

OverHillAndDale
10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Now why would I want to do this and save all that money and time??

OverHillAndDale
10-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Now why would I want to do this and save all that money and time??

I just re-looked at the add - this may be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Richard Budden
10-25-2016, 04:17 PM

I use my smart phone in a mount on my sterling and it connects via Bluetooth to the device which plugs directly in to and is powered by the 30 pin connector that you already have. Works perfect and sounds great. I used to plug in an old iPhone loaded with music. Now I have all my music on my smartphone and an app on the phone for Sirius Satellite Radio. It's so simple to setup one would never think it could work as well as it does. Glad I could help.

Richard

http://www.nyrius.com/discontinued/songo-link-wireless-bluetooth-30-pin-apple-dock-adapter

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Yes it is. I have an iPod type BT adapter that I have plugged into the connector in the trunk. I bought it from Lowes. I swap it back and forth with my iPod. I use it to receive the BT signal from my Android phone when I want to listen to Pandora. I also have another BT receiver that is plugged into the GPS input. My Samsung tablet that I use for GPS connects to it.

OverHillAndDale
10-26-2016, 08:14 AM
This is the easiest and cheapest way to do what you are trying to do. I also have a 2014 RT-S and I use one of these.

Richard

I just ordered this device. This site offers really good answers to issues. :thumbup:

finless
10-26-2016, 09:59 AM
I just ordered this device. This site offers really good answers to issues. :thumbup:

One thing they did not tell you... The BT adapter will not support the Apple iPod protocol that will allow you to control the iPod from the dash. It will show up as AUX with this. So you will need to use your phone screen to control music. e.g. playlists, songs, artists, etc. In AUX mode you can only skip ahead or back one song at a time from the handlebars. Again all the fancy stuff that shows on the dash you can control with the handlebar buttons won't be there now.

I did once make a cable for a guy that wanted to do what you want. It worked except I had to use "shielded" cable as engine noise was causing problems with the connection and audio.

Bob