PDA

View Full Version : My Last Mod...

SSG Bean
04-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, now that the paint is finished and the NMN emblems are on, I guess it's done. Ok, maybe not.... I did wrap the exhaust yesterday to keep it a little cooler under the tupperware. So I guess until I get a new windshield; I am done.;) So here's the list of mods, so far, in chronological order:

1. NMN - Triple Play
2. Grip Puppies and Throttle Rocker
3. Leo Vince Exhaust
4. Mel's Monster Garage Backrest
5. BRP Seat Skin
6. Custom Paint (Tallant's Hot Rods)
7. NMN - Spyder Emblems

Here are some pics to prove it!

ataDude
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I really like that blue/black combination!

Well, now that the paint is finished and the NMN emblems are on, I guess it's done. Ok, maybe not.... I did wrap the exhaust yesterday to keep it a little cooler under the tupperware. So I guess until I get a new windshield; I am done.;) So here's the list of mods, so far, in chronological order:

1. NMN - Triple Play
3. Leo Vince Exhaust
5. BRP Seat Skin
7. NMN - Spyder Emblems

bjt
04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
:thumbup:

spy08
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM

1. NMN - Triple Play
3. Leo Vince Exhaust
5. BRP Seat Skin
7. NMN - Spyder Emblems

bean, how does that wrap on the exhaust work, do you really feel the difference? and does wrapping it have any negative impacts on the exhaust?:spyder:

Wally
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
:2thumbs:Love the paint. Awesome job all around:2thumbs:

SSG Bean
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
bean, how does that wrap on the exhaust work, do you really feel the difference? and does wrapping it have any negative impacts on the exhaust?:spyder:

I feel the difference on my left leg more than anywhere else. That pipe doesn't get nearly as warm. The other positive consequence of wrapping the pipe is that the exhaust note is a little better. You don't hear any noise from the rest of the pipe, only what you're supposed to hear coming from the rear. As for negative side effects, the only real negative is if you ever decide to take the wrap off, it makes the pipes underneath pretty ugly. However, some would say that the pipes are quicker to burn through with the wrap on, but with these pipes, I don't think that will be an issue. You usually see that on more of the extremely thin titanium race headers and some of the real cheap, thin, steel pipe. Other than that, I think it looks and performs well. One other note, if you get the black wrap that I did, it is already fading due to the heat. You may as well get the white or copper colored, because it will probably end up that color anyway.:thumbup:

LDFIREWORKS
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
nice job:thumbup::thumbup:

Spyderjuice
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
:2thumbs: I really like your paint and the color of blue. Good job!:thumbup:

Juice

HotWheels
04-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I did wrap the exhaust yesterday to keep it a little cooler under the tupperware. From SSG Bean

I like to do this due to lack of balance I lean all the way forward when I ride and I can feel the heat from the bike so what materials can I use to wrap the pipes to cool them down a little?

fastfraser
04-16-2009, 06:57 AM
I like to do this due to lack of balance I lean all the way forward when I ride and I can feel the heat from the bike so what materials can I use to wrap the pipes to cool them down a little?

:2thumbs: Nice paint job . Also going to wrap my pipes. Where do you get the wrap and how do you keep it on ??:dontknow:

bjt
04-16-2009, 07:26 AM

:2thumbs: Nice paint job . Also going to wrap my pipes. Where do you get the wrap and how do you keep it on ??:dontknow:

I have seen this exhaust wrap at my local auto parts stores (AutoZone, etc.). The ones I looked at had some type of stainless steel tie to hold it in place after wrapping. Search exhaust wrap on Google and you'll find hundreds of sites to buy from if you want to go the "online ordering" route.

fastfraser
04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
:clap:
I have seen this exhaust wrap at my local auto parts stores (AutoZone, etc.). The ones I looked at had some type of stainless steel tie to hold it in place after wrapping. Search exhaust wrap on Google and you'll find hundreds of sites to buy from if you want to go the "online ordering" route.

:clap:Thanks for quick reply off to shop on line for wrap. :thumbup:

Firefly
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM

I've heard that wrapping the pipes *can* trap moisture in and cause increased corrosion - but seeing as these are stainless I would think it would be okay.

Someone also thought that the 'Y' gasket blowing out *might* have been related to pipe wrapping - but I don't think it was ever quantified.

I would think you would have to remove the pipes to get the tape on properly? Some have also pulled them and have the ceramic coated.

Please post your findings with whatever you end up doing!

Good luck!

bjt
04-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Someone also thought that the 'Y' gasket blowing out *might* have been related to pipe wrapping - but I don't think it was ever quantified.

I never wrapped my pipes but my exhaust gaskets fried after about 6,000 miles. :dontknow:

Wally
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: Very nice:2thumbs::2thumbs:

SLO RYDER
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I never wrapped my pipes but my exhaust gaskets fried after about 6,000 miles. :dontknow:

I just replaced my gaskets from the headers to the collector and I have about the same miles. Do you still have the stock muffler? I do and I feel the way it is mounted toward the front and excessive weight caused the premature failure of the gaskets. My right one had only half left.

Mike

SSG Bean
04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I also purchased new slip joint gaskets at the same time that I wrapped the pipes. I looked at the old gaskets and they seem to be fine for now(1700mi). I was able to wrap all but about two inches of the rear facing cylindar exhaust pipe at the head. However, it was a major pain! It took a long time and more patience than I normally exhibit. Also, I was sure to wrap it so that I could disassemble and replace the gaskets. I found the wrap on ebay and purchased the stainless ties at O'Reilly's. After a couple weeks of riding with this mod, I think it makes a difference in both the temps I feel and seems to allow the engine to operate a little cooler.

bjt
04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I just replaced my gaskets from the headers to the collector and I have about the same miles. Do you still have the stock muffler? I do and I feel the way it is mounted toward the front and excessive weight caused the premature failure of the gaskets. My right one had only half left.

Mike

I probably ran half of the 6,000 miles with the Hindle pipe on. I had just switched back to the stock pipe and noticed that the Spyder was louder than I remembered when I originally had the stock pipe on it. A stop at the dealers for the 6,000 mile service and a looksee by the service manager confirmed the leak.

Blinc
04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, now that the paint is finished and the NMN emblems are on, I guess it's done. Ok, maybe not.... I did wrap the exhaust yesterday to keep it a little cooler under the tupperware. So I guess until I get a new windshield; I am done.

If everything is going exactly to plan, something somewhere is going massively wrong.
You own a spyder now, you will NEVER be done with mods :doorag:

SSG Bean
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
If everything is going exactly to plan, something somewhere is going massively wrong.
You own a spyder now, you will NEVER be done with mods :doorag:

Yeah, it's sort of a running joke. I think everyone on here that has started with their own mods understands how addictive it is. The only limit to the number of mods is the amount of financial resources you have and how fiscally responsible you choose to be. Unfortunately, my wife also monitors my expenditures, so I'm done for just a short while. However, I'll be calling No Magic in about a month to get the largest Cal Sci!
:2thumbs:

SpyderByter
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Nice color, and thanks for the info on wrapping.