PDA

View Full Version : DESS code what BRP needs to do

kbwitt
10-22-2016, 12:09 PM
I have a 2014 rts at about a year ago 8,000 DESS code 1,400 miles from home. Call closest dealer, he says never heard about this problem (like to scream). No fix in stock contacts BRP they will send parts needed. I stuck there for 4 days for over night shipping. Now at 19,000 another DESS code dealer here acts like they do not know of DESS code problems( wife takes gun out of my pocket before I go down to dealer). I ask if they have parts in stock to fix. No have to bring it in so they can do dynastic on it. Couple days later they call spyder ready, say nothing wrong with the spyder the key was bad just had to reprogram key. I told him I was going on a 3,500 trip is he sure. He says yes no DESS codes showed upon on buds test was the key. Went down to pick up spyder he could not start big fat DESS code on. Will have to call BRP. Now BRP says ok will send parts needed.

OK BRP you know you have a problem with a bike you sell for with dealer adds $ 33,000.00 plus. You want us to recommend or buy another show us the respect we deserve and you should have about your product and send the parts needed to every dealer and when they use it on customers spyder send them another one.
My bike could of been fixed in one hour instead of several weeks. Plus would not have the feeling of you do not care.
Kenn

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I have a 2014 rts at about a year ago 8,000 DESS code 1,400 miles from home. Call closest dealer, he says never heard about this problem (like to scream). No fix in stock contacts BRP they will send parts needed. I stuck there for 4 days for over night shipping. Now at 19,000 another DESS code dealer here acts like they do not know of DESS code problems( wife takes gun out of my pocket before I go down to dealer). I ask if they have parts in stock to fix. No have to bring it in so they can do dynastic on it. Couple days later they call spyder ready, say nothing wrong with the spyder the key was bad just had to reprogram key. I told him I was going on a 3,500 trip is he sure. He says yes no DESS codes showed upon on buds test was the key. Went down to pick up spyder he could not start big fat DESS code on. Will have to call BRP. Now BRP says ok will send parts needed.

OK BRP you know you have a problem with a bike you sell for with dealer adds $ 33,000.00 plus. You want us to recommend or buy another show us the respect we deserve and you should have about your product and send the parts needed to every dealer and when they use it on customers spyder send them another one.
My bike could of been fixed in one hour instead of several weeks. Plus would not have the feeling of you do not care.
Kenn
Kenn, I feel your PAIN :banghead: .... and have posted a lot about how I have dealt with it ..... You will have look thru my posts and Started Threads tho because I don't have 2 hrs to re-type it all ...... Sorry ......Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
10-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Turn DESS off. Problem solved.

kbwitt
10-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Turn DESS off. Problem solved.

How do i turn off dess?

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-23-2016, 12:04 AM
How do i turn off dess?
If you have BUDS + special license/ program like JC has you could ........Mike :thumbup:

PaladinLV
10-23-2016, 02:50 AM
Guess you've not read the 27 plus pages under DESS Again by Deanne

AJ

Kenn

jcthorne
10-23-2016, 06:17 AM
How do i turn off dess?

Requires a BUDS licence or take the bike to someone that does. I am far from the only one that has purchased the diagnostic software for the Spyders. But I have helped a few folks with this concern.

kbwitt
10-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Guess you've not read the 27 plus pages under DESS Again by Deanne

AJ

I guess you did not read or understand my post. Thanks You for your criticism. Problem is was trying to get support to get BRP to admit the issue and to make sure dealers have inventory to fix Right Away.

Bob Denman
10-23-2016, 01:45 PM
They are already MORE than aware of this problem... nojoke
It's been pretty-well documented, and they are taking steps (or have already taken them...), to find a lasting solution.

kbwitt
10-23-2016, 06:35 PM
They are already MORE than aware of this problem... nojoke
It's been pretty-well documented, and they are taking steps (or have already taken them...), to find a lasting solution.
So what steps have they taken or have already taken? Please in enlighten me with more than just hear say.
Thanks Kenn

loisk
10-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Kenn I get your point - it's a known and recurring problem with the potential to leave us stranded. I agree dealers should in an ideal world have all the bits to do a proper fix the first time a problem occurs without waiting for brp to authorise and send bits out, but I doubt this will happen. Meantime perhaps dealers should disable it to save a rider from being stranded, as a temporary measure while brp hoops are jumped. If it happened to my bike, I think I would insist on this rather than risk beng stranded in the middle of nowhere.

As a general comment -

It would be so easy to keep a happy and 'selling more' by word of mouth customer base by providing dealers with correct advice and a set of replacement bits for known issues - ie in advance, not waiting for each particular customer issue - but this has never been brp's way, or at least it hasn't filtered through to workshops.

Perhaps BRP need to put long term marketing and market share a little higher up the priority list, and this issue is an easy example of a way to be a proactive customer focussed company. Instead, the brp way is to leave customers to cope with dealers who say 'never heard of that' (for many issues over the years), or 'they all do that'...

Thank goodness for this forum and our great dealer! Without these two things I suspect the spyder experience could become quite sour very quickly.

Maybe be the new spyder manager in Canada will take these thoughts on board?

cuznjohn
10-23-2016, 07:53 PM
i never had a problem, and when i talked to my dealer, he never heard of it. BRP knows the problem exists, so they should send at least one unit to every dealer so people don't have to wait.

loisk
10-23-2016, 07:58 PM
:agree::agree:
Yep, that's what I believe Kenn was saying too, as am I.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-23-2016, 08:21 PM
:agree::agree:
Yep, that's what I believe Kenn was saying too, as am I.
And I recommend everyone move their MODULE ( & wiring ) to " under the right headlight " so it's a 10 minute REPAIR JOB instead of 2 + hours ....... I did mine over 3000 mi. ago and it works fine there ..... Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM

KennKenn, I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 the first dess module was replaced on July 14, 2015 then a month later ( Aug. 28th, 2015) I had the dess module/ and switch replaced, keys reprogramed.

I had to wait only 1 hour for the work to be done. I called my dealership on a Tuesday, had a appointment on a Friday( of the same week), my dealership called me to tell me that they had the parts.

It has been 1 year and 2 months since I have had the dess module/and switch replaced. I have not had the DESS error show up. Please read "DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" by me( Deanna777 look at my" Threads started" it is a long thread 27 pages long, there is a lot of info.)

Deanna

Bob Denman
10-24-2016, 08:02 AM
And I recommend everyone move their MODULE ( & wiring ) to " under the right headlight " so it's a 10 minute REPAIR JOB instead of 2 + hours ....... I did mine over 3000 mi. ago and it works fine there ..... Mike :thumbup:

Mike,
The next time you have folks visit on their Spyders: please have them take a picture of your relocated module, and post it in here... :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Mike,
The next time you have folks visit on their Spyders: please have them take a picture of your relocated module, and post it in here... :thumbup:
:agree: ... Bob, soon I'll be putting it in the CAVE :gaah: :( and I'll take off the FRUNK ( 10 minutes for me ) and I'll take some Pics of where the Module - WAS mounted - and where it is NOW ...... Also note BRP was kind enough to provide PLENTY of wire to make this move possible without ANY SPLICING !!!! .... I now have almost 4000 mi. since the move and all systems are working fine :clap: :clap: :clap:......... Mike :thumbup:

gtownspyder
10-24-2016, 10:03 AM
my dealer fixed it free under warranty, there is a bulletin out about the module replacement (dess) Digital Electronic Security System) module. they replaced the module and no worries so far!! got stuck 2500 miles from home also, got it started by holding the start button will turning of and on the key several times.:ohyea:

Bob Denman
10-24-2016, 10:39 AM
:agree: ... Bob, soon I'll be putting it in the CAVE :gaah: :( and I'll take off the FRUNK ( 10 minutes for me ) and I'll take some Pics of where the Module - WAS mounted - and where it is NOW ...... Also note BRP was kind enough to provide PLENTY of wire to make this move possible without ANY SPLICING !!!! .... I now have almost 4000 mi. since the move and all systems are working fine :clap: :clap: :clap:......... Mike :thumbup:

:shocked: Since when did you learn camera skills??? :D :congrats: :firstplace: