PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT S vs Gold Wing

bikerbillone
10-21-2016, 06:42 PM
First post here, just wondering, anyone on the forum move from a GW trike to a Spyder RT S? I ride a 2005 with 2012 Road Smith conversion, so just thinking out loud if maybe a change is in store for me. Getting long in the tooth, thinking the RT S may be a smoother ride for me and my lady.

JayBros
10-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I've never owned a Gold Wing but try the Spyder and compare them yourself. If you're cautious, leave your check book at home the day of the test ride.

bikerbillone
10-21-2016, 07:28 PM
That's my plan, just fishing for a thought or two from others that have done the switch that I might consider on a test ride.

dlby
10-21-2016, 07:32 PM
10 yr Gold w rider

30 HD ultra

2Yr rtse6 Spyder

Loved all of them
The Spyder is a great 3 wheeler.

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

4 MARIE
10-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Had a Wing, but the 2 wheel variety. Have ridden a trike version. Spyder is MUCH more responsive, and will take a little
getting used to, but is totally worth the effort. My RT rides just great, and you will like the fly by wire throttle, and some other
things too. Probably won't be so crazy about storage, especially if you want to stow 2 helmets of any size, or even 1 largish one.

ARtraveler
10-21-2016, 07:51 PM
There are several that have made exactly that change. I am sure they will come on with their impressions.

My advice. Test drive the RT-S and see if it is for you. Read the Do's and Don'ts of Spyder riding before you go. They handle different from the GW. The main thing is do not over control. You will come away from the test saying the :ani29: is a no go for you.

Good luck and let us know which color you are getting. :yes:

Mick N
10-21-2016, 07:55 PM
I had 3 GW's.... a new red '75 GW that I added what bolt-on dress parts were available back in that era... white Vetter Windjammer fairing, some white bolt-on saddle bags, bolt-on footrests on bolt-on crash bars, thumb-lock cruise lever on handlebar, maybe some minor stuff/ A real 'dresser' eh?

Next, a new black (the only color) '80 GW Interstate... can't remember adding much if anything to it... short footnote: initial break-in ride from Columbus, Ohio to Baltimore Maryland... stopped for lunch... parked on center stand on a nice really black new looking parking lot... it was in the heat of summer and it was really hot... by the time me and my co-rider (who ever she was ;>) got saddled up, the rest of the group had taken off.... couldn't get the darned center out of the blacktop... it was so hot, and evidently
the asphalt was so new and soft, that the centerstand had sunken into the pavement a good 6 inches or so, until the stand's crossmember stopped it. While standing alonside the bike, tried rocking the bike from from front-to-rear and side-to-side... finally side-to-side won and broke it loose from the pavement... and yanked the handlebars out of my hands and down the bike went on its side! Wrestled it upright and pushed it out onto good pavement. The fall had broken the ride side fairing mirror off! Small price to pay for all that fun!! I looked at my co-rider and said "Well, it's not new anymore, so get on and we can really RIDE now!" Loved that bike! Was temped to buy it back several times.

Next up, a new '86 NW SE-i.... can't remember doing much customization on it, it was already decked out by Honda... it was the best ride of the three not the best handling (for me), the '80 gets my tropy for that... it was a perfect 'fit' for me.

To 'answer' your question, test ride a few brands to get a feel for each them, I've looked at the current GW's but haven't ridden any other than a test sit in the showroom. The new GW breed is even larger. But if I could get my hands on a well maintained '80 GW, I'd be tempted to go back to it... I'm now 70 and 155 pounds and darned arthhritis (which is why I switched to a new 2012 Spyder) or not!

Ryde on!

Dean Homan
10-21-2016, 08:08 PM
First post here, just wondering, anyone on the forum move from a GW trike to a Spyder RT S? I ride a 2005 with 2012 Road Smith conversion, so just thinking out loud if maybe a change is in store for me. Getting long in the tooth, thinking the RT S may be a smoother ride for me and my lady.
Put 45,000 on a 02 Wing with a 06 CSC Conversion and have been riding a 2013 RT limited for nearly 2 years. Their are equally comfortable, but the Wing handled much better, was easier to work on, got a little better mileage and is eaiser to get parts and accessories. Perhaps there have been improvements since 2013, with the engine change and some suspension changes. My wife and I both preferred the Wing, overall.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Your question has been discussed many times here on SL forum. Go to the search page http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php and put Goldwing in the search box. Change the criteria to search titles only. I just came up with 58 hits doing that. Something like a third to half of them deal with the question of moving from a Goldwing to a Spyder going back several years. Several of them discuss moving from a 'wing trike. You'll glean a lot of info and thoughts by scanning through them.

trikerbiker645
10-21-2016, 10:40 PM
I had a new 2006 Goldwing 1800 with a Motortrike kit on it , Raked front end and just about every accessory you could put on it. Sold it last October, bought a new Vulcan Voyager with a CSC kit , awesome looking bike but made me remember why I went away from a V-twin and wife hated it. She loved the Goldwing, I loved the Goldwing but after about 10 years I got tired of it even though it only had 26,000 miles on it. The Vulcan Kawasaki Voyager trike was a BAD, costly senior moment but my Spyder RTS is the best bike out of many that I've ever owned thus far with 6,000 some miles on it since spring. Won't go back even though I do miss a few things about the wing....Love my Spyder, no regrets! There's always trade - offs. My wife thinks they are ugly but can overlook that because of the ride which other than the seat she likens to the wing. The seat will be a Russell by spring so I guess she will like everything about it but the looks.. safe riding!:yes:

trikermutha
10-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Well hope you got an answer out of all the replys???

Have you test drove any of the 2014 models on up yet?

I know you been pondering this for awhile now..

We took at 2K miles trip in Sept and compared to my Old Tri the Spyder was a dream the entire trip..The fatigue was almost none I may have pushed it to much a few days in the sun and all :thumbup:

I don't think the stock seat would have worked for me to well..The Ultimate seat has been working extremely well for my Tushy :thumbup:

Brian Kay
10-22-2016, 01:27 AM
If you can't leave the gold wing (just love the wing), motor trike now offers a reverse trike conversion kit for the gold wing. It doesn't have all of the computer safety features that you find on the Spyder but from what I hear, it is an awesome ride, great handling, very responsive, and just as stable as the Spyder in the corners. It may not be the prettiest of style, but you have your 1800 GL Gold Wing between your legs.

Oh yeah, downside you're spending about $38k for that ride (new).

ISPYD
10-22-2016, 03:20 AM

I rode a gold wing 2005 trike for over 7000 miles I now ride an RT Limited.

I miss my gold wing trike but due to arthritis and surgery on my hand to remove a bone shifting or pulling the clutch in was very painful especially in town.

I now ride a 2015 RT and the difference is night and day. I simply have to push a little lever with my thumb to shift up and shifting down is automatic plus it's has power steering.

So I loved my gold wing trike and I love my Spyder. The main disadvantage is not having the storage I had with the gold wing trike with a Lehman conversion .

I know some people have tried to convince others the Spyder holds as much as a Goldwing trike, I personally know that is not true in my case. It could be due to the extra large opening of the Lehman, which has a huge area where I could place a full size carry-on much bigger than what comes with the Spyder plus a rolling duffel bag. Thank goodness my man have has A trailer he pool with his Gold wing trike.

I highly recommend the spider especially if you have a trailer but if you are going to be making long trips you not need that much storage .

Good luck and enjoy if you do get a Spyder .
WNGLADY

Brian Kay
10-22-2016, 04:50 AM
I rode a gold wing 2005 trike for over 7000 miles I now ride an RT Limited.

I miss my gold wing trike but due to arthritis and surgery on my hand to remove a bone shifting or pulling the clutch in was very painful especially in town.

I now ride a 2015 RT and the difference is night and day. I simply have to push a little lever with my thumb to shift up and shifting down is automatic plus it's has power steering.

So I loved my gold wing trike and I love my Spyder. The main disadvantage is not having the storage I had with the gold wing trike with a Lehman conversion .

I know some people have tried to convince others the Spyder holds as much as a Goldwing trike, I personally know that is not true in my case. It could be due to the extra large opening of the Lehman, which has a huge area where I could place a full size carry-on much bigger than what comes with the Spyder plus a rolling duffel bag. Thank goodness my man have has A trailer he pool with his Gold wing trike.

I highly recommend the spider especially if you have a trailer but if you are going to be making long trips you not need that much storage .

Good luck and enjoy if you do get a Spyder .
WNGLADY

:agree::agree:
My wife's gold wing trike, also a 2005, although by Motor Trike has a ton of storage...much greater than my RT. No way does the Spyder compare to the GW Trike storage. Now, I'm not sure how the new reverse trike conversion kit measures up...but I'm sure it's still more.

GA_Spyderman
10-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Rode a 2003 Goldwing with a DFT trike conversion for almost seven years and sold it 2 years ago. Had the 2014 RT Limited for 2 years now. At first I thought I'd messed up, but after a couple of mods like Tri-Axis bars and Russell seat, I don't want to go back. I loved the Goldwing, but now I love the Spyder more: better ride, better handling, better economy and better cool factor. The handling took some getting used to. Steering is sensitive and some call it "twitchy" or "squirrelly", but I call it tight and sports car-like and responsive. Just get ready for a whole new experience in motorcycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieSpyder
10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
I can't offer any experience to your question so :welcome:

rcturner
10-22-2016, 05:11 PM
I have built a couple of trikes for friends and they scare the crap out of me. I always have this vision of them going over just like a kids trike or the old 3 wheel ATVs did. My RTs have never given me that feeling. It did require the requsite 500 miles of riding to feel totally comfortable on the first one. The second (1330 RT-S) is a bit more stable and may not have required as many miles of acclimation.

pegasus1300
10-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Hey fancy meeting you over here. Welcome to the best site on the 'net for Spyder information and great people. You should repost some of the concerns you had over on Trike Talk over here. There should be some good discussion.

bikerbillone
10-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi Peg, I drop in from time to time to read the good, the bad, all of it.

trikermutha
10-23-2016, 08:24 AM
If you do decide to jump ship..plan on the TriAxis bars to start with.
You may not like the way the bars are positioned. Sway bar would be next..MAke sure dealer Rolo Aligns before taking delivery .
These are the top things most have done.

Tango
10-23-2016, 09:05 AM

GW trike costs more $
GW trike is heavier
GW trike is more difficult to work on
GW trike is more difficult to find dealer to work on it
Some dealers want nothing to do with GW's
Some dealers want nothing to do with a trike
You basically voided your warranty when you triked it
GW's have been known to have tranny problems
Just try to find a dealer that will repair your tranny
GW has a better aftermarket

Spyder is lighter
Spyder is easier handling
Spyder is fully warrantied
Spyder can have car tires all around
Spyder is less $$ to get into
Not all Spyder dealers are competent
Spyder gets much better fuel mileage
Spyder is easier to steer

Both have good handling, and suspension. I had a 2008 GW with a CSC conversion. Lots of posts from other GW to Spyder people here. Do the search thing. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

bikerbillone
10-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Good break down Tango, I know getting all the tupperware off the Spyder is a challenge even for a simple oil change, but that improves with experience as I read the comments. Ever do a air filter change for a GW, egads, I don't think think that ever improves with experience, oil change, pretty simple.

trikermutha
10-23-2016, 09:51 AM
This will give you an idea on Tupperware removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVulKP4_GaU

MOSESS
10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Some on the forum is close by to the gent please head over and let him ride yours...

Many brands
10-24-2016, 05:24 PM
I do love my Honda 1800 (Motor Trike) BUT I do love the smoothness of the Can-Am, The feeling of stability it gave. The suspension was way better. The lack of clutch (arthritis in my fingers) sure makes it easy The trip-matic shifting up and down was like instant, no need to even let of the gas The ABS integrated breaking -- this thing REALLY stops. The dynamic Stability Control is supposed to keep you out of trouble in different 'events' Not sure I ever want to test that. Passenger ( my Wife) felt more secure, and stable) Storage capacity is about the same, It does not have a CB capability however. Motorized windshield really gets rid of any winds, (and rain I suppose). On two lane roads with the crown, it took no , constant effort of pushing to keep it straight. Way less effort in turns (power assist steering) Not a physical a ride.
And according to the literature - the Physics involved with two wheel up front - make it a safer and a more controlled ride. Cons - No front brake lever.139299

kbruehl
10-24-2016, 06:29 PM

I rode Goldwings for years and quit because of all the crazies out there and also a weak knee. I liked the Wing but LOVE the Spyder! I am approaching 70 and this is definitely my ride! Take one for a ride and you will be driving one!

Mr. White
10-24-2016, 09:19 PM
As mentioned, this subject has been around for 11 years for me. That is when I triked my '02 Wing with a Motor Trike kit. I bought it in '01 and triked it in '05. Still have Punkin' and love him. Love them both. Kept the GW because I could no get much for it and it is still perfect. Runs like a hose. Which is best?......the one I am on.

For long distances, like 6-700 miles a day for several days, the GW is more comfortable for me. In the hills and 150 mile breakfast runs, I take Mr. Cognac. Each scoot is different for different riders. Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. Good luck.

:spyder2: