PDA

View Full Version : Air Ryde Rock Guard

Grandpot
10-20-2016, 06:47 PM
I just finished installing Doc Humphreys "Air Ryde Rock Guard" on my 2011 RTS. It wasn't a difficult installation if you are at least an average mechanic. You need to have basic hand tools and a couple of jacks. Three beers and a BLT also helps.

What is it and why do you need it? It is a rubber or neoprene cup that fits under the Air Bag for the purpose of preventing small rocks from working their way between the bottom of the bag and the swing arm. That area is completely open and it collects small stones that are thrown about by the rear tire. After awhile the stones will puncture the bottom of the bag and it will need to be replaced. The bag alone is about $250. Labor at a dealer will be at least two hours. So figure about $500 if you are lucky.

When I installed mine, I cleaned thoroughly between the bottom of the bag and the swing arm. There were several stones residing there.

Just letting you know this product is out there and it appears to be a good piece of prevention.

Ex-Rocket
10-21-2016, 10:25 AM
How long was the install time? Does Doc include instructions with the product? You say just hand tools are needed for the install, is that correct? What type of jacks are needed? Its sounds like the install was kind of hard.

Roadster Renovations
10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Q-mrDHtWY

Grandpot
10-21-2016, 01:33 PM
How long was the install time? Does Doc include instructions with the product? You say just hand tools are needed for the install, is that correct? What type of jacks are needed? Its sounds like the install was kind of hard.

It took me about two hours, but I really wasn't working hard. I'm recovering from open heart surgery.

Wrenches: 10, 13, 15 mm box wrenches and matching socket wrenches.
5 mm Allen
Jacks: Harbor Freight MC jack and a small scissor jack.

Doc provided me with instructions for a 1330 motor. I have a 998. The only difference is the CAT does not have to be removed on the 998.

If you have a 1330, Doc has a handy tool for removing the CAT springs. Costs about $10 and is worth it. Watch the video in the post above.

MOSESS
10-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Where up at Spyder quest. How do I buy one of these guards....

kywinger
10-26-2016, 02:15 PM
What was the cost of the Air Ryde Rock Guard.

Roadster Renovations
10-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Please PM me.