PDA

View Full Version : RT-L plus rider backrest

HayRog
10-18-2016, 06:28 PM
A question if I may, to all of you who have the RT-L, ride two up, and have a rider backrest --

How much space, if any, is taken away from the pillion ?

I'm considering the Utopia Backrest but Deb is slightly concerned about her comfort/space. If she's concerned then I am too ;)

Thanks for any replies.

dlby
10-18-2016, 08:26 PM
I have the brp stock backrest.
Would hate to ride without it.
Real backsaver.
Wife hax no problem with it.
She is 5ft 2 & 135 #

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Bob Denman
10-19-2016, 07:38 AM
My Missus doesn't like it, when I leave my BRP backrest in place, and we ride two-up. nojoke
She's says that it makes her feel "locked-in place"... :yikes:

Big F
10-19-2016, 08:25 AM
A question if I may, to all of you who have the RT-L, ride two up, and have a rider backrest --

How much space, if any, is taken away from the pillion ?

I'm considering the Utopia Backrest but Deb is slightly concerned about her comfort/space. If she's concerned then I am too ;)

Thanks for any replies.

I had one on my 2014 RT Limited and had the dealer take it off. It was too confining for my back saddle mate. she has no problems with it gone and I don't either.
BIG F

robmorg
10-19-2016, 08:40 AM
The Utopia Backrest is one of the best looking and most comfortable backrests out there. But it's also one of the largest. I have it on my 2013 RT with a BRP Comfort Seat. I have ridden some small passengers back there, but not my wife - she'd never fit. :shocked: ...which is OK, because she wouldn't ride the Spyder anyway. ;) With a standard seat there would likely be enough room for an "average size wife" (whatever that is).

Also, while the Utopia backrest has lots of fore/aft adjustment to it, and does fold down flat for access to the rear seat, it would be a real pain to temporarily remove. Since you have a 2015 RT I think, if you are concerned about space, you may want to look at the BRP backrest. I hear it's fairly easy to pop it in and out, and your seat is probably already set up for it. Hopefully those who own this backrest will expend on my comments.

Pirate looks at --
10-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Really depends on the size of the passenger. We have an Ultimate Seat with driver back rest and we have no problem. Before we got the F3L we would trade off Ryding in the passenger seat. I am 5'8" 180 And my wife is 5'8" 140. So really depends how much you have ti jam into a relatively small space

Buckeye Bleau
10-19-2016, 09:23 AM
I have a 2013 RTL and the Utopia backrest. I love the backrest and the adjust-ability of the same. My wife has no problem with it and she uses the zippered pouch on the back of the rest to store her cell phone while traveling. If she wants to check messages and such while ryding, she meerly opens the pouch, extracts her phone and does her thing. Easy, peezey, lemon squeezy! We ryde on! :riding: :shemademe_smilie:

Joe

irvin48
10-19-2016, 09:52 AM
im full figured and my wife is not skinny. i have the utopia with the
one inch setback bracket and she has plenty of room. i also cut the
mounting stem down so it sits lower. if you dont tighten the set screw
you can also take it out at any time139094139095139096139097

HayRog
10-19-2016, 10:25 AM
My Missus doesn't like it, when I leave my BRP backrest in place, and we ride two-up. nojoke
She's says that it makes her feel "locked-in place"... :yikes:

That feeling of 'locked in place" is what Deb's afraid of, and neither one of us are large peeps.

HayRog
10-19-2016, 10:28 AM
im full figured and my wife is not skinny. i have the utopia with the
one inch setback bracket and she has plenty of room. i also cut the
mounting stem down so it sits lower. if you dont tighten the set screw
you can also take it out at any time139094139095139096139097

Thanks Joyce47 -- good pics and good idea re:- cutting down the stem.
Pic #4 -- is that the lowest the rest will fold down? Looks like it could fold flatter if adjusted forward more ??

HayRog
10-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the replies ya'll :). Given me more than I thought to consider.
I'm favoring Utopia over BRP only for the price, and Utopia also has a smaller pad option I think -- maybe I shouldn't be so cheap LOL

irvin48
10-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks Joyce47 -- good pics and good idea re:- cutting down the stem.
Pic #4 -- is that the lowest the rest will fold down? Looks like it could fold flatter if adjusted forward more ??

it sits lower on my back this way. you can set it up any way you like.
i have a couple of pieces of wood taped in there to angle it more, but
only to fit my back. necessity is the mother of invention. joyce likes
to rest her hands on the rest sometimes instead of on the sides. never
has felt locked in. irv toms

HayRog
10-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Let me throw another brand into the mix !

Anyone have experience with the Value Added Acc. SmartMount DR Backrest?
I prefer their smaller pad size but am not sure if they're adjustable fore and aft. Just e-mailed them with some questions.

I LIKE this site :2thumbs: